Zonal Marking

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Zonal Marking

Postby King Kev » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:28 pm

To be honest I'm not entirely convinced that it's the way forward but so far so good and it's better than not defending at all.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Re: Zonal Marking

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:30 pm

Too many mistakes and lapses of concentration the other way so it's definitely worth a try and 180 minutes with no goals works for me.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby 9secondlegend » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:31 pm

King Kev wrote:To be honest I'm not entirely convinced that it's the way forward but so far so good and it's better than not defending at all.

my scouse mate hates it and reckons that why liverpool are so poor at the back.
benitez sticks by it religously.
im not sure though either , it will be differnet against decent strikers.
9secondlegend
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby 9secondlegend » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:32 pm

King Kev wrote:To be honest I'm not entirely convinced that it's the way forward but so far so good and it's better than not defending at all.

9secondlegend
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby ENIAM NAM » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:32 pm

I thought we dealt quite well with set plays today and against Stoke. It will be interesting to see how we deal with it when teams sus us out and have time to prepare for playing against the new system.
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Blue Blood » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:38 pm

zonal marking works if and only if trained properly.

if the managers explains it right and the players know exactly where and when they are defending its a really good system.

mancini used this at inter and has it nailed so he should have no issues getting the players doing it spot on.

personally i'm all for it and 180 minutes of clean sheet goodness prove it works!!
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:39 pm

9secondlegend wrote:

Liverpool's problem certainly isnt a defensive one, it is that the manager sets out to not concede and plays so fucking negative all over the pitch

I think it likely that it may be that we will play different against decent strikers. However what I did like is that if you fill the 6 yard box, it makes the corner taker hit it out to the penalty spot - more often than not the opposition may win the ball as they did tonight, but being so far out will fuck it up.

Get one or two players with the awareness to stand on the edge of the 6 yd box and go and challenge the ball whichever direction it goes, and at least get in the way, and the zonal system could work.

2 clean sheets says it works. Lets see how long it lasts though.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Chad » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:41 pm

It is only ever highlighted at Liverpool when it doesn't work and when they concede from a set piece it is always blamed on zonal marking. I think it can work but expect it to be blamed when we do concede from a set piece.
Chad
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby blues-clues » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:41 pm

It will be interesting to see whether Mancini plays zonal against every attack but for the first time in years the defence has looked pretty solid in the last two games and very solid against set plays.
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby edge275 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:42 pm

johnpb78 wrote:
9secondlegend wrote:

Liverpool's problem certainly isnt a defensive one, it is that the manager sets out to not concede and plays so fucking negative all over the pitch

I think it likely that it may be that we will play different against decent strikers. However what I did like is that if you fill the 6 yard box, it makes the corner taker hit it out to the penalty spot - more often than not the opposition may win the ball as they did tonight, but being so far out will fuck it up.

Get one or two players with the awareness to stand on the edge of the 6 yd box and go and challenge the ball whichever direction it goes, and at least get in the way, and the zonal system could work.

With zonal marking as you rightly pointed out with so many defenders in the six yard box it makes the corner taker hit it out to the penalty spot, but then the beauty of it is their players who are on the penalty spot are static jumping where as our players can run and jump towards it and gain a much better height advantage. You also get the two guys on each post. A big improvement!
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:47 pm

Strangely enough, I mentioned this after our last game, but no-one answered. I thought I was watching a different game?

It is the easist way to defend, and most logical for us as no one person wants to take responsibility!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Andy, lincs » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:48 pm

edge275 wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
9secondlegend wrote:

With zonal marking as you rightly pointed out with so many defenders in the six yard box it makes the corner taker hit it out to the penalty spot, but then the beauty of it is their players who are on the penalty spot are static jumping where as our players can run and jump towards it and gain a much better height advantage. You also get the two guys on each post. A big improvement!

Therein lies the beauty of how I think Mancini has taught it to the players. I may be wrong but I'm sure our defenders marking the penalty spot zone started on the edge of the 6 yard box and attacked the spot negating any difference between standing and running jumps. As you say Edge, if taught and executed properly it is a highly effective method of defending set pieces.
Living like I'll die tomorrow, farming like I'll live forever.
Andy, lincs
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby edge275 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:48 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Strangely enough, I mentioned this after our last game, but no-one answered. I thought I was watching a different game?

It is the easist way to defend, and most logical for us as no one person wants to take responsibility!

Haha not necessarily!

"Who was marking that area!?"

"Not me" x10
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275

Postby Im_Spartacus » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:48 pm

edge275 wrote:
johnpb78 wrote:
9secondlegend wrote:

Aside from that, if the ball does come back in, we have the bodies already in place who have been stood in roughly the same spot they started in and seen what is going on around them. What I mean by this is that if you are chasing a player around the box man-marking them, you have little appreciation of what is going on around you so when the ball drops you are reacting - not anticipating. Thus when the 2nd ball is there to be won, if you are reasonably static you have a much better spacial awareness and thus should be able to anticipate rather than react and this has to give you an edge on the striker.

There will always be the striker like Torres who will anticipate better than you, but hey-ho that will always be the case - look how easily he scored against us playing the other way at corners/set pieces

Like I said, no system is perfect but I can see the benefits at the moment.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby colonel_muck » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:51 pm

9secondlegend wrote:my scouse mate hates it and reckons that why liverpool are so poor at the back.

they've been shite at it this season no one can doubt, but they've done it ever since he's been managing them, and they had traditionally been a nightmare to break through in years gone by. typical media spiel, when teams do it successfully no one says a thing but as soon as it goes wrong its all down to zonal marking.
colonel_muck
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Man city
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:28 pm

edge275 wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Strangely enough, I mentioned this after our last game, but no-one answered. I thought I was watching a different game?

Haha not necessarily!

"Who was marking that area!?"

"Not me" x10

Ha ha, 'Wasn't me neither'.

As most willl understand, it's for either players wo haven't got a clue or for a team who can't take responsibility; it's a building block which |i'm glad to say Mancio is utilising. Still, I wouldn't want to see them sort of tactics against a decent team!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:31 pm

colonel_muck wrote:
9secondlegend wrote:my scouse mate hates it and reckons that why liverpool are so poor at the back.

they've been shite at it this season no one can doubt, but they've done it ever since he's been managing them, and they had traditionally been a nightmare to break through in years gone by. typical media spiel, when teams do it successfully no one says a thing but as soon as it goes wrong its all down to zonal marking.

DIDNT THE BINDIPPERS HAVE THE BEST DEFENSE LAST SEASON?
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby edge275 » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:35 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:
colonel_muck wrote:

Yes. At set pieces anyway.
edge275

Postby Beefymcfc » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:46 pm

edge275 wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
colonel_muck wrote:

Yes. At set pieces anyway.

They came in 3rd for goals against I think, but scored more than any other. Their problem was to many draws (double figures I seem to remember, similar to Arsenal). However, if you looked at their system of play post Xmas, they played Gerard in a more forward role and a more attacking outfit that seemed to stop teams from putting pressure on the back 4.

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Mon Dec 28, 2009 11:54 pm

Problem with Zonal Marking is if you come up against a forward who makes the right run at the right time they have a clear run at goal without the interference of a defender tugging and pushing if they were man marking. But seen as though our defenders lose their man so often its worth a go at zonal
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum