Top 4 Finish Or Carling Cup?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Top 4 Finish Or Carling Cup?

Top 4 Finish
52%
Carling Cup
48%

Total votes : 102

Re: Top 4 Finish Or Carling Cup?

Postby Moonchesteri » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:37 pm

What I do not get is that how come people suddenly take it as a certainty that if we get to chumps lge, everyone will want to come to City and we are guaranteed to win cups immediately (slight exaggeration on my behalf here I admit)

There are a million things that can go wrong, resulting in another fucking 34 years for a trophy!

What does top4 position guarantee you? more money yes. yes it does make you a more attractive club in players' minds.
does it guarantee you cups? no it doesn't. look at Arsenal. when did they last win something? five years ago? Liverpool? four years. and they've been in top4 for ages!

I follow my heart not my brain here. City haven't won a thing in my lifetime. I just want us to win a trophy.
If we win the cup and next year fail miserably and the sheikh fucks off and we lose our all best players and go back to Pearce era or championship days I'll still follow City. Of course I hope we will in the future be the best club, the biggest club in the world... but for now, let's go to Wemberlee and lift the trophy!
Last edited by Moonchesteri on Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moonchesteri
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby DoomMerchant » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:43 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Original Dub wrote:A pot in the hand this season INSTEAD of champions league qualification... That's what you want?!!!

Did I say that you moody twat?

No

The poll asks you to choose which you would prefer

34 years without a fucking trophy

34 fucking years

You're damn right id rather the carling cup

Champions League...if necessary could be gained next year...it's not a fucking competition to see how fast we can progress...this game is played for trophies...not fucking league positions

I'm sure Sheffield Wednesday felt the same way when they won the League Cup in 1991 after more than 50 years without some silverware. I'd rather have a platform for 10 pots in the next 10 years than to get my dick wet right now...IF I HAD TO CHOOSE. which is what the question is as you correctly pointed out?

ill jump for fuclin joy if we win something this season...but i can tell you ultimately if City finish 7th or lower is will be an abject failure in my eyes...and even 5th or 6th isn't looking too much like something to cheer about. It's time to crack into the Top 4...the money from abroad (in terms of new ownership which is bound to happen with Scouse filth and Arse) will bolster the Sky 4, and Platini and his henchemen will build rules to keep City at bay. This is serious shit...which is why Hughes was sacked.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Good Times » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:44 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
carl_feedthegoat wrote:
Wooders wrote:
Socrates wrote:
Original Dub wrote:Jesus H Christ more people want the carling cup more than a champion's league place which would open the door to every top player in the world and be the next major step in proclaiming us as a genuine top club. Unbelieveable.

If we qualified for the champs league every big player would come and I think we'd win a cup next year (and probably every fucking year after that) as well as being in the running for the PREMIER LEAGUE TITLE and CHAMPIONS LEAGUE TITLE.

Have you all lost your fucking minds??? Shit will start to hit the fan if we don't get into the champs league fast on a number of fronts, but you reckon we need a cup NOW as a priority.

I really can't believe this.

Shocked - rearrange these words...

same are for we sheet from singing once the hymn...

agree entirely - champions league qualification is FAR, FAR more important than a trip to Wembley this season (especially for the league frickin cup) - the short sightedness is staggering

I CONCUR

Are you lot taking the piss?

What...you think we are just going to stroll into the Champions league and win it after having virtually no top international experience in how many years?

A pot in the hand is worth two in a bush

Who knows, the FA might revive the old Texaco Cup. We could win that and make all the trophy hunters feel a little bit better about themselves.
[center]Image[/center]
Good Times
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Beeks » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:46 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
Original Dub wrote:A pot in the hand this season INSTEAD of champions league qualification... That's what you want?!!!

No

34 fucking years

Champions League...if necessary could be gained next year...it's not a fucking competition to see how fast we can progress...this game is played for trophies...not fucking league positions

I'm sure Sheffield Wednesday felt the same way when they won the League Cup in 1991 after more than 50 years without some silverware. I'd rather have a platform for 10 pots in the next 10 years than to get my dick wet right now...IF I HAD TO CHOOSE. which is what the question is as you correctly pointed out?

ill jump for fuclin joy if we win something this season...but i can tell you ultimately if City finish 7th or lower is will be an abject failure in my eyes...and even 5th or 6th isn't looking too much like something to cheer about. It's time to crack into the Top 4...the money from abroad (in terms of new ownership which is bound to happen with Scouse filth and Arse) will bolster the Sky 4, and Platini and his henchemen will build rules to keep City at bay. This is serious shit...which is why Hughes was sacked.

cheers

Like I said...a trophy is a trophy

CL is something that can be gained just as easy next year...meanwhile the banner at stretford continues to roll on

Now that might not mean anything to anyone outside of Manchester...but to me and a lot of others it does
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Good Times » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:58 pm

How difficult would it be for us to become an amateur club? I'd love to see Kolo holding up the FA Vase.
[center]Image[/center]
Good Times
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby john68 » Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:48 am

If I placed a banner in CoMS referring to something about the rags and the rags reacted to it in the way you are to theirs, I would be pissing myself laughing at them. I would be rubbing it in their faces that my banner had the power to dominate how they thought.
Why are you allowing some rag's banner to control your actions and thinking? Why are you giving them that power over you?

Do you really worry that much about what the neighbours say?
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:05 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:

No

34 fucking years

cheers

Like I said...a trophy is a trophy

CL is something that can be gained just as easy next year...meanwhile the banner at stretford continues to roll on

Now that might not mean anything to anyone outside of Manchester...but to me and a lot of others it does

not really that subtle and fairly weak argument actually which avoids the cold hard facts. And it doesn't discount the validity of my opinion.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Feed The Goat » Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:46 am

I haven't read the whole thread so u appologise if someone has said this. I just got worked up Reading the utter drivle some people are writing.

Football is about winning cups and earning victory parades. 4th spot gets us into a cup competition u don't get an entering meddle. Also some people think get into the Ecl qualyfying round and then everything easy well take a loon at Everton they finshed top 4 not so long ago and wat has that "success" brought them? Not a trophy every year that's for sure

I think we can win carling cup and finish 4th but if I have to pick one I'll go for the cup. They don't put 4th place on your honours list nor do they put champions league qualification on there ask arsenal.
Mcf.net best app in the land and all the world
Feed The Goat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby DoomMerchant » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:18 pm

Feed The Goat wrote:I haven't read the whole thread so u appologise if someone has said this. I just got worked up Reading the utter drivle some people are writing.

Football is about winning cups and earning victory parades. 4th spot gets us into a cup competition u don't get an entering meddle. Also some people think get into the Ecl qualyfying round and then everything easy well take a loon at Everton they finshed top 4 not so long ago and wat has that "success" brought them? Not a trophy every year that's for sure

I think we can win carling cup and finish 4th but if I have to pick one I'll go for the cup. They don't put 4th place on your honours list nor do they put champions league qualification on there ask arsenal.

your spelling and caps abilities are more frightening than anything posted in this thread tbh

surely that's yr mobile i hope causing that.

duly noted feedback tho about parades. thanks.

Also:

[youtube]k1665BxujmA[/youtube]

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby ronk » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:44 pm

Feed The Goat wrote:I haven't read the whole thread so u appologise if someone has said this. I just got worked up Reading the utter drivle some people are writing.

Everton didn't push into the top4, Liverpool slipped. Everton had a great start to the season but then proceeded to do a good job of attempting to throw it away, Liverpool did a even better job though.

They messed up and never got back in as good a position again. Spurs won the League Cup and Ramos was gone same calendar year. Portsmouth were the FA Cup holders last season, look at them now.

The secret of success is money. We have it but that doesn't mean we don't need (more of) it. Most importantly, other teams need it far more than we do right now. Another year of CL action might be enough to raise their level enough to hold on for an extra while. We simply mightn't get another chance as good or as easily to progress to the next level.

Liverpool are now out of the CL and have one target left for the season. Chances are they'll go on a very good run at some point.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Dazzacity » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:45 pm

I cant believe how close this is!!! Obviuosly both can be done. But if I had to choose Id have to say playing Champs league football. Anything to stop all this 'big four' bollox sky sports hark on about..
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:47 pm

The carling cup does not attract the players we need to become a top club. However, champions league qualification does. And once those players come we'll have plenty of cups. However, every season that passes with us being the richest club in the world with no champions league football, pressure will build and our very future as a potentially top club will be under threat.

That is a real concern.

Please have a good think about that and answer again mate.

I honestly find this poll baffling.

I CONCUR.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Dazzacity » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:58 pm

carl_feedthegoat wrote:

The carling cup does not attract the players we need to become a top club. However, champions league qualification does. And once those players come we'll have plenty of cups. However, every season that passes with us being the richest club in the world with no champions league football, pressure will build and our very future as a potentially top club will be under threat.

That is a real concern.

Please have a good think about that and answer again mate.

I honestly find this poll baffling.

I CONCUR.

I was also baffled as to how close this was!! Has to be Champs league over league cup. I didnt even have to think about it for a second. And what he has said above is bang on.
Dazzacity
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum