Players out of position

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Players out of position

Postby Fidel Castro » Sat Jan 02, 2010 11:33 pm

Rag_hater wrote:
Fidel Castro wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:Besides the wingers in todays case Martin and Vlad everbody is playing where they have played before or are playing where they normally play.
Barry was where he normally plays and so where most of the others.
Kompany has played in defence and midfield before,
Ndj was in midfield today.
Go through the whole team and besides Martin and Vlad who was out of position.No one.

Sylvinho. We didn't have any outlet on the left in the first half and looked very unbalanced.

I'd think that was down to Stevie and Swp being injured and him having no other options along with the quality of Sylvinho.And if your saying that keeping Martin on the left would have given us more balance I would disagree cos for me that would mean putting Syl on the right which I think would have made us weaker.

Petrov on the left, Weiss on the right?
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Socrates » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:23 am

Fidel Castro wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:
Fidel Castro wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:Besides the wingers in todays case Martin and Vlad everbody is playing where they have played before or are playing where they normally play.
Go through the whole team and besides Martin and Vlad who was out of position.No one.

Sylvinho. We didn't have any outlet on the left in the first half and looked very unbalanced.

I'd think that was down to Stevie and Swp being injured and him having no other options along with the quality of Sylvinho.And if your saying that keeping Martin on the left would have given us more balance I would disagree cos for me that would mean putting Syl on the right which I think would have made us weaker.

Goal created by Petrov switching in from the right?
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Socrates » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:25 am

MaineRoadMemories wrote:Petrov right wing and Weiss left wing is just wrong, I don't mind switching play for 5/10 mins play but to spend the entire match in those positions just makes us far too narrow. When Bellamy came on he instantly went down the line instead of cutting inside and set up 2 clear cut chances which should have been buried.

You do know Bellamy is right footed?
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:42 am

Petrov can cut in comfortably off either wing, Weiss looked lost on the left though.

Got to say we scraped it, but had Hughes picked Benjani and 46 defenders he would have been verbally axe murdered on here.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby Socrates » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:13 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Petrov can cut in comfortably off either wing, Weiss looked lost on the left though.

Got to say we scraped it, but had Hughes picked Benjani and 46 defenders he would have been verbally axe murdered on here.

Weiss looked just as lost out on the right mate, he at least got into the game once he switched albeit with little impact. The squad is very thin, Hughes put the squad together so he would rightly have been slaughtered for having too thin a squad after signing too many "favourite" players that are always crocked.
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby avoidconfusion » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:33 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:Petrov can cut in comfortably off either wing, Weiss looked lost on the left though.

Not sure what this "46 defenders" dig is aimed at...

---------------------Given
Zabaleta Richards Boyata Garrido
Weiss De Jong Kompany Sylvinho
---------------Benjani Petrov

Looks like a normal 4-4-2 to me... so where does this 46 defender stuff come from?

Changes made:

Barry on for Richards
Tevez for De Jong
Bellamy for Weiss

That is 2 attacking players and one central midfielder coming on for 2 defensive players and an attacker...
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sun Jan 03, 2010 1:59 am

avoidconfusion wrote:

Looks like a normal 4-4-2 to me... so where does this 46 defender stuff come from?

Changes made:

Barry on for Richards
Tevez for De Jong
Bellamy for Weiss

That is 2 attacking players and one central midfielder coming on for 2 defensive players and an attacker...

I think it's quite fair to say that De Jong, Kompany, Sylvinho are all defensive minded players. We clearly looked a better side in the second when we had more attacking talent on the pitch (though admittedly this coincided with 'Boro's drop in ideas). I was slightly disappointed by the lack of ambition shown in the lineup before kick off.

I think people would've had a go at Hughes if he put that side out today and we won, but then I think some people just found fault with everything the man did.

Anyway that's all water under the bridge. The main thing it's we're in the hat tomorrow
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:27 am

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:
avoidconfusion wrote:

Changes made:

Barry on for Richards
Tevez for De Jong
Bellamy for Weiss

I think it's quite fair to say that De Jong, Kompany, Sylvinho are all defensive minded players. We clearly looked a better side in the second when we had more attacking talent on the pitch (though admittedly this coincided with 'Boro's drop in ideas). I was slightly disappointed by the lack of ambition shown in the lineup before kick off.

I think people would've had a go at Hughes if he put that side out today and we won, but then I think some people just found fault with everything the man did.

Anyway that's all water under the bridge. The main thing it's we're in the hat tomorrow

Ah some sense. How anyone can question a defender dig with that starting side is a mystery. We had a LB on the wing, a def mid and a CB as the middle and even a winger as a striker.

Seriously annoyed me seeing that starting side, Hughes would have been slaughtered for it and Mancini while I am very impressed so far, took a big risk in my opinion.

The pleasant suprise in the lineup for me was him having the balls to start Boyota, something I honestly don't think Sparky would have done.
Pretty Boy Lee

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jan 03, 2010 3:29 am

Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
avoidconfusion wrote:

Changes made:

Barry on for Richards
Tevez for De Jong
Bellamy for Weiss

Ah some sense. How anyone can question a defender dig with that starting side is a mystery. We had a LB on the wing, a def mid and a CB as the middle and even a winger as a striker.

Seriously annoyed me seeing that starting side, Hughes would have been slaughtered for it and Mancini while I am very impressed so far, took a big risk in my opinion.

The pleasant suprise in the lineup for me was him having the balls to start Boyota, something I honestly don't think Sparky would have done.

We were lucky that Boro were completely shite today because had they played like Forest did last season they'd've buried us. If Mancini's a stuffy twat it'll do me though so long as we start playing some football.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:15 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Pretty Boy Lee wrote:
avoidconfusion wrote:

Changes made:

Barry on for Richards
Tevez for De Jong
Bellamy for Weiss

We were lucky that Boro were completely shite today because had they played like Forest did last season they'd've buried us. If Mancini's a stuffy twat it'll do me though so long as we start playing some football.

Can live with this, they do say luck is preperation meeting opportunity. He clearly has the opportunity and so far seems adequetly prepared.
Pretty Boy Lee

Postby The Original Special One » Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:28 am

Socrates wrote:

Weiss looked just as lost out on the right mate, he at least got into the game once he switched albeit with little impact. The squad is very thin, Hughes put the squad together so he would rightly have been slaughtered for having too thin a squad after signing too many "favourite" players that are always crocked.

I think people are being very unfair to Weiss: the important thing is that he's developing gradually and its a huge step up from being a star in the Youths set-up to being at ease in the big leagues.
Especially for a young lad who's still growing.
Today was one of the most encouraging displays I've seen him give because he tried a lot in different areas of the park and kept on trying and didn't hide away.
One delicious back heel , which will catch many better defences on the hop, almost let in, I think, Tevez in the second half: all it takes is for his teammates to be that much more familiar with what he can do.

Ireland was the same three seasons ago: he was often thinking three moves ahead of his teammates, but once people cottoned on to what he could do, everybody was raving about him
The Original Special One
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Yaya Toure

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:23 am

Socrates wrote:
Fidel Castro wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:
Fidel Castro wrote:

Goal created by Petrov switching in from the right?

To be accurate, Petrov was playing more as a 2nd striker in the 1st half (Vlad was on the right) and he created the chance by
taking the ball in the middle of the field and then passing it right to Benji to score.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:47 am

Socrates wrote:
MaineRoadMemories wrote:Petrov right wing and Weiss left wing is just wrong, I don't mind switching play for 5/10 mins play but to spend the entire match in those positions just makes us far too narrow. When Bellamy came on he instantly went down the line instead of cutting inside and set up 2 clear cut chances which should have been buried.

you do know that bellamy is both footed and uses his left to cross just as much as his right?
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby MaineRoadMemories » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:47 am

Socrates wrote:

you do know that bellamy is both footed and uses his left to cross just as much as his right?
MaineRoadMemories
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: THE CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!
My favourite player is: VINCENT KOMPANY

Postby simon12 » Sun Jan 03, 2010 8:40 am

I thought he used this game as a training match personally as the back up was clearly on the bench if required. I also think he will have found out plenty of things from it.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Crossie » Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:39 am

Meh, who cares, it worked, and if its kept several players more fresh for weds, then im all for it. Well done Mancini for crafting a win out of our backup players, especially Benjani.

IF we'd had Adebayor or nearly anyone else, we wouldnt have constantly lost the ball as soon as we pasted it forward, and thus we'd have had the ball in and around their box alot more, causing more problems and likely scoring more goals.

Yes im slagging Benjani off, despite his goal he was utterly terrible. But we got away with it. Lets move on.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Rag_hater » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:09 am

Crossie wrote:Meh, who cares, it worked, and if its kept several players more fresh for weds, then im all for it. Well done Mancini for crafting a win out of our backup players, especially Benjani.

IF we'd had Adebayor or nearly anyone else, we wouldnt have constantly lost the ball as soon as we pasted it forward, and thus we'd have had the ball in and around their box alot more, causing more problems and likely scoring more goals.

Yes im slagging Benjani off, despite his goal he was utterly terrible. But we got away with it. Lets move on.

I dont thin Benjani was that bad.
In fact as go as far to say that yesterday was the best I've seen Benji play for us.
And switching wingers has been going on for ages.
I think one of the first times I noticed it was Scolari changing Figo and Tranny around in a match when he was managing Portugal.
Its happened before that I would think but he the first manager I can think of who did it.
I think Sven and Jose might have done it aswell.
Rag_hater

Postby Wooders » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:10 am

he picked who he picked, and played them where he played them - end result - we're through to the next round

also, we didn't scrape a 1-0 win, if the boys had their shooting boots on this would have been another 3-0'er
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Slim » Sun Jan 03, 2010 10:21 am

Wooders wrote:he picked who he picked, and played them where he played them - end result - we're through to the next round

also, we didn't scrape a 1-0 win, if the boys had their shooting boots on this would have been another 3-0'er

Or perhaps if it hadn't been in the middle of a snowstorm.
Slim
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Sun Jan 03, 2010 11:11 am

Wooders wrote:he picked who he picked, and played them where he played them - end result - we're through to the next round

If that dickhead from Boro whose name escaped me (it was 3am) had made better of the chance in the box we'd have another tie to play with a massive casualty list.

I appreciate what you're saying he got us through without taking many out of cotton wool, but he still took a big risk in my opinion. Maybe these risks will prove fruitful in the long run, I'm not condemning him, merely observing.
Pretty Boy Lee

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum