Director of Football

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Director of Football

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:15 pm

Alex Sapphire wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:For as long as I have hole in my arse "God Hughsey" will not be director of football in Manchester City Football Club. That I'm 100% sure of.

And credit??? Why not give credit to hundreds of people who work for the Club, doing their job? You are giving Hughes all the credit for changes in infrastructure? So are you saying the club are lieing and this feller and his team is trying to steal credit from "god Hughesy"??

you've got me as wrong as possible here.

The question raised by someone else was would MH make a decent DOF, not should he be in that job here. He's gone and like it or not we have Brian (Sheffield Wednesday) Marwood in that job (if not in name). My point was in any reasonable way, MH is at least as well qualified as BM.

Credit to the staff? Yes. Credit to Jon Stemp yes. Although he's a bit of a dissapointment as the man who gave up a crusade in the public sector to take the football dollar. He's the bloke who would tax the fat (so look out boys).

I "give all the credit to Hughes" NO I don't. Neither of us know where to apportion credit. It says here Stemp "oversaw" it. If it had said "masterminded it" he might be due all the credit. We've already had the discussion on here about Project Managers. They're like midwives, they deliver, but they don't conceive.

However, Stemp IS the guy who talks about the "supporter experience". Well I'm still waiting for that to get markedly better. When is he going to deliver something in the space he cleared out in the stadium??

and you've got to stop referring to Hughes as a god, or indeed God. It doesn't look good (or Good).

Ok. I got you wrong it seems.

And like I said earlier Marwood's experience or rather lack of it, worries me. Hughes IS at least as, if not more, qualified to job. IF we are going down the director of football route I would prefer someone who actually has experience of the job.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Alex Sapphire » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:33 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Marwood's experience or rather lack of it, worries me. Hughes IS at least as, if not more, qualified to job. IF we are going down the director of football route I would prefer someone who actually has experience of the job.

I agree.
Although I went into a Google frenzy the other day to try to prove that all Directors of Football are giants of the game with heaps of experience.
I spose because that was how we've tried to do it (and failed) in England:
Pleat, McMenemy, Bassett, Eriksson, Venables were all experienced managers, while the successes in Europe are not usually that background.
So maybe someone who appears lightweight, but is smart (and understands business) may be better.
Who knows
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Socrates » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:36 pm

Alex Sapphire wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Marwood's experience or rather lack of it, worries me. Hughes IS at least as, if not more, qualified to job. IF we are going down the director of football route I would prefer someone who actually has experience of the job.

I agree.
Although I went into a Google frenzy the other day to try to prove that all Directors of Football are giants of the game with heaps of experience.
Pleat, McMenemy, Bassett, Eriksson, Venables were all experienced managers, while the successes in Europe are not usually that background.
So maybe someone who appears lightweight, but is smart (and understands business) may be better.
Who knows

Not just maybe! Someone who doesn't think they can manage the team better than the manager should be the first thing on the job spec.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Alex Sapphire » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:42 pm

Socrates wrote:
Alex Sapphire wrote:

I agree.
Who knows

Not just maybe! Someone who doesn't think they can manage the team better than the manager should be the first thing on the job spec.

Let's be careful here. If we three all agree, then I'll have to regenerate.
Or something.
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Socrates » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:43 pm

Alex Sapphire wrote:
Socrates wrote:
Alex Sapphire wrote:

I agree.
Who knows

Let's be careful here. If we three all agree, then I'll have to regenerate.
Or something.

There's hope for you yet...
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum