Vieira Signed (OFFICIAL)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Vieira

Postby dazby » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:26 pm

john@staustell wrote:
dazby wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:I think some people just want something to moan about...excellent signing...initially only for 6 months so if the moaners are right it's hardly the end of the world...Patrick has won everything so he will also be invaluable in the dressing room

Complete win all round IMO

I'm an Aussie, I don't like moaning. I leave that for the experts. However, this signing just doesn't sit right with me. It purely comes down to if both Vieira and the Schlong are fit, who plays? Our current potential player of the season or a guy looking for one last payday and a chance to play in a world cup? He'd be playing for us for the wrong reasons.

I think your view is too narrow, back to the 11 players routine. What you should be asking yourself is 'what the hell would happen to our season if DeJong got injured?' OR 'how can we play all these games building up with the same players'?

Squad.

John, I invented the term "it's all about squad" on this site. I don't see him as a squad player or at least if he signs his role within the squad should be defined. If he's back up that's great. I doubt he'd come if that were the case though.
If we need a player lets sign a defender, or an attacking midfielder.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Re: Vieira To Sign Today

Postby Bingo Lewis » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:27 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:I thought the passing into history of Hughes was supposed to mark a 'line in the sand' and we all just get on positively....

One single line in an OP - which mentions a totally unsubstantiated figure - £140k and then we are drowning in negativity - jeez perhaps it was the psyche of CITY fans and not Hughes after all

For all we know - it may be 6 month with options - it may be a figure based on appearances - it may be linked to top 4 finish - it may be all sorts of things - we do not know - but we do know the media always state the highest possible rumour - be are like a big fish that always have to take the bait - even if we know it is dangerous

We are supposed to be giving Mancini his chance? - what was that about slagging off Cook - who really thinks that this is his choice ? - why this need to slag off (rather than support) our own?

Anyway - for what its worth I will pose a totally unsubstantiated question - just my gut feeling - might as well - it is as probably as well-founded as the other bollocks people post..

Mancini gets offered the job - with strings....

He inherits Kidd from his academy role....

Mancini makes a good start and starts to think of the rest of the contract he will be offered if he makes it to targets this year and wants his own number 2...

He thinks about his mate Patrick who is also considering what he will do in 18months after he retires.......

What betting (if Mancini is a success) we see Patrick in a assistant role at the club??

has he started his coaching badges?
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby mcfc1632 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:28 pm

I have this private hope that he has developed into an RB in recent years...
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby mcfc1632 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:29 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:I thought the passing into history of Hughes was supposed to mark a 'line in the sand' and we all just get on positively....

One single line in an OP - which mentions a totally unsubstantiated figure - £140k and then we are drowning in negativity - jeez perhaps it was the psyche of CITY fans and not Hughes after all

For all we know - it may be 6 month with options - it may be a figure based on appearances - it may be linked to top 4 finish - it may be all sorts of things - we do not know - but we do know the media always state the highest possible rumour - be are like a big fish that always have to take the bait - even if we know it is dangerous

We are supposed to be giving Mancini his chance? - what was that about slagging off Cook - who really thinks that this is his choice ? - why this need to slag off (rather than support) our own?

Anyway - for what its worth I will pose a totally unsubstantiated question - just my gut feeling - might as well - it is as probably as well-founded as the other bollocks people post..

Mancini makes a good start and starts to think of the rest of the contract he will be offered if he makes it to targets this year and wants his own number 2...

He thinks about his mate Patrick who is also considering what he will do in 18months after he retires.......

What betting (if Mancini is a success) we see Patrick in a assistant role at the club??

I thought of that - might just be about to think it is a good idea - would not be the first in this situation
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:30 pm

dazby wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:I think some people just want something to moan about...excellent signing...initially only for 6 months so if the moaners are right it's hardly the end of the world...Patrick has won everything so he will also be invaluable in the dressing room

I'm an Aussie, I don't like moaning. I leave that for the experts. However, this signing just doesn't sit right with me. It purely comes down to if both Vieira and the Schlong are fit, who plays? Our current potential player of the season or a guy looking for one last payday and a chance to play in a world cup? He'd be playing for us for the wrong reasons.

Is that Australian for "shit joke".
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby dazby » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:32 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
dazby wrote:

Pot. Kettle. Black.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:37 pm

Apparently Villas agent rubbished the rumour on SSN?
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Original Dub » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:38 pm

Winterburn just on SSN and you'd expect him to say it was a good move.

He basically said the only role he can see him playing at his age is the holding role and we already have players more than capable in that role. I agree completely.

And a year and a half on those wages?????

If its true its is a bad move, no doubt in my mind about that. This is one of those threads we're gonna flick back to in a year or two and I'll happily hold my hand up.

IMO This is the most underwhelming signing since the takeover and feel free to drag this back up.

Thank Christ Veron told us to fuck off.
Original Dub

Postby sandman » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:38 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
dazby wrote:

Ha ha ha ha... Spot on.
sandman

Supporter of: City

Postby Bingo Lewis » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:39 pm

Original Dub wrote:Winterburn just on SSN and you'd expect him to say it was a good move.

He basically said the only role he can see him playing at his age is the holding role and we already have players more than capable in that role. I agree completely.

If its true its is a bad move, no doubt in my mind about that. This is one of those threads we're gonna flick back to in a year or two and I'll happily hold my hand up.

IMO This is the most underwhelming signing since the takeover and feel free to drag this back up.

Mate, come on.
You're turning into NQPD/Hughes on this subject.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Beeks » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:41 pm

Original Dub wrote:Thank Christ Veron told us to fuck off.

Veron didn't tell us to fuck off...Mancini has said he never approached him...media bullshit

It's six months with the option of another 12 for Vieira

So why the fuck are you throwing your dummy out of the pram is beyond me
Last edited by Beeks on Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:43 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:

I thought of that - might just be about to think it is a good idea - would not be the first in this situation

I thought that could be a possibility too. He doesn't have a huge staff atm. Vieira could get any qualifications whilst working. He may prefer riding off into the sunset & getting pissed for the next 20 years once he retires though.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Blue Blood » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:44 pm

Original Dub wrote:Winterburn just on SSN and you'd expect him to say it was a good move.

Its one of those transfers where people are going to be naturally split. Half for, mainly on basis of his undoubted ability and nature of the short term deal and half against, mainly due to age and cost.

In the end one side will be right the other wrong but city will really be no worse off for making the signing.

Either he'll succeed and we'll benefit or he'll flop and we'll still have the same squad and be in the same strong position we were prior and he'll be gone by the summer.

Either way its not a transfer with huge amounts of risk to it.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Haz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:44 pm

Sky Sports reporting its all but done:

Sky Sports wrote:Patrick Vieira is to have a medical on Thursday afternoon before joining Manchester City on an 18-month contract.

The Frenchman is to leave Inter Milan in the pursuit of more regular first-team football as he bids to secure a place in France's World Cup squad.

Roberto Mancini is a big fan of the player having worked with him during his time at the Inter helm and sees his experience as potentially being key to helping City qualify for the UEFA Champions League.

Vieira, who at 33 is still captain of his national side, is eager to be reunited with Mancini having set his heart on appearing in South Africa over the summer.

"I set myself an objective, I want to go to the World Cup," he told Eurosport.

"The important thing for me is to go to Manchester City and to show the coach (Roberto Mancini) I'm the same player as when he was in charge of Inter."

Inter captain Javier Zanetti has paid tribute to his departed team-mate, conceding the Frenchman will be missed.

"We'll miss Vieira so much, both as a player and as a man. I wish him a great career. I'm proud to say I played with him, we regret that he goes away."

Apologies if already posted
Haz
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: The Goat

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:46 pm

I am sick of city signing players and we come on here and try and justify the signing by saying things like

* He will be good to have in the dressing room
" He will teach the kids a few things
" He will be a good squad player

FFS We have had fully blown arguments on here about where we should be aiming for top drawer players who are better than we have. Its all been said before, so I am not going over old ground.

As a last thought, If he is still so fantastic. Why did Wenger think it was best for Arsenal to cash in on him 4 years ago? If he is so fantastic, why have Inter Milan decided he is not worth keeping and they are releasing him when they have some huge games coming up in the Champs league and Domestically?
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Original Dub » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:47 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:

Mate, come on.
You're turning into NQPD/Hughes on this subject.

Ah hold on there mate, its the biggest topic at the moment and I have a strong opinion on it. I'm in no way against Mancini, so far I think he's the bollox... and I'm confident his transfer targets will be better than these two, but its either I keep my mouth shut and say nothing or say what I really feel... which is what I always do!

I don't want to be a whinge bag and ruin other people's excitement over a new signing, but this guy can't into the Inter side and has stated that as a reason to the return to the faster premier league- a league he was faltering in 5 years ago.

I know you reckon Vieira will be an excellent short term signing, but I don't- 18 month contract at his age??!. Nor do I think it was right to go for Veron. Until Mancini shows me a target I'm even in the slightest bit happy, let alone disgusted about, I'm not gonna celebrate his transfer policy!

Sorry...
Original Dub

Postby dazby » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:47 pm

Blue Blood wrote:

Its one of those transfers where people are going to be naturally split. Half for, mainly on basis of his undoubted ability and nature of the short term deal and half against, mainly due to age and cost.

In the end one side will be right the other wrong but city will really be no worse off for making the signing.

Either he'll succeed and we'll benefit or he'll flop and we'll still have the same squad and be in the same strong position we were prior and he'll be gone by the summer.

Either way its not a transfer with huge amounts of risk to it.

I repeat, it depends on his playing status. If he's a first choice player, he'll be holding de Jong's progress and world cup aspirations for purely his own French World Cup playing motives.

I'd rather we sign a defender or a young attacking mid.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:49 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
As a last thought, If he is still so fantastic. Why did Wenger think it was best for Arsenal to cash in on him 4 years ago? If he is so fantastic, why have Inter Milan decided he is not worth keeping and they are releasing him when they have some huge games coming up in the Champs league and Domestically?

This is what worries me, also Wenger was back in for him recently but chose to stick by Denilson.

Saying that I can't see us losing out on this (apart from wages).
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby irblinx » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:50 pm

Wonderwall wrote:I am sick of city signing players and we come on here and try and justify the signing by saying things like

FFS We have had fully blown arguments on here about where we should be aiming for top drawer players who are better than we have. Its all been said before, so I am not going over old ground.

We won't have a clue until we've seen him in a City shirt, there were plenty of people (or should that be idiots) that said many of the same things you have here when we signed Craig Bellamy, let's give him a couple of games before we condemn him eh?
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:52 pm

irblinx wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:I am sick of city signing players and we come on here and try and justify the signing by saying things like

We won't have a clue until we've seen him in a City shirt, there were plenty of people (or should that be idiots) that said many of the same things you have here when we signed Craig Bellamy, let's give him a couple of games before we condemn him eh?

I could see the potential in bellamy, I am very sceptical about this transfer
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum