Vieira Signed (OFFICIAL)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Vieira Signed (OFFICIAL)

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:57 pm

uwe's_skyblue_duvet wrote:
Blue Blood wrote:
uwe's_skyblue_duvet wrote:Just my opinion but I'm not too wildly excited about this - folk seem to be getting a bit carried away but he's not kicked a ball for us yet, is knocking on a bit, and wasn't a regular for Mourinho.

My main gripe is if he's been given playing 'assurances' as has been suggested (more speculation I know), who would make way? - he can't be a stick on for selection in every game. Where would you slot him in with all our players fit?

Having said that I realise he's a proven, quality player with not only Prem experience but experience of winning it, amongst other illustrious titles. And his scarf is admittedly massive.

Also, just heard he's 9/4 to get sent off this season; not surprising with his record, and his new shirt number.

He was asked about that in the press conference and flatly denied he'd been given any assurences on playing time by mancini. he also added he wanted to prove his ability to the players foremost and fight his way into the team.

Good answer, cheers!

Like he was going to say anything else!! Like a very gold old pro he knew exactly what to say . Great to see Mancini with the press again mostly not quite answering the questions he was asked.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby irblinx » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:02 pm

Nice to see Sky asking everyone about something we've done again but this time getting positive answers, Wenger, Twitchy and Ancelotti all very positive about us signing Vieira
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby failsworthblue » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:30 pm

Not impressed.

Will get totally overun in midfield by younger and stronger players.

Not a patch on De-Jong and Kompany.

Might make a stopgap a Centre Half.
failsworthblue
De Jong's Tackle

Postby ronk » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:15 pm

failsworthblue wrote:Not impressed.

Will get totally overun in midfield by younger and stronger players.

Not a patch on De-Jong and Kompany.

Might make a stopgap a Centre Half.

Bold prediction, you might get reminded of that.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Citizen of Oslo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:26 pm

Just back from a wasted trip to Manchester. I even forgot to bring with me my skis. Then the news that Vieira has signed. Good news, as far as I'm concerned. And I like to believe that maybe Mancini knows a thing or two about him that others don't. Still early days, and it's -20 in Oslo. But for me the thoughts of a trophy this year is getting hotter and hotter.
Citizen of Oslo
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:09 pm

Citizen of Oslo wrote:Just back from a wasted trip to Manchester. I even forgot to bring with me my skis. Then the news that Vieira has signed. Good news, as far as I'm concerned. And I like to believe that maybe Mancini knows a thing or two about him that others don't. Still early days, and it's -20 in Oslo. But for me the thoughts of a trophy this year is getting hotter and hotter.

It's a pity you had a wasted journey but hopefully you'll get the chance to see City raise some silverware in the near future to make up for it.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Patrick » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:21 pm

Ive just heard Anelka is asking about coming back
Standing in the Naughty Corner since 1961
Patrick
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Citeh
My favourite player is: Joe Hart

Postby CityFanFromRome » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:27 pm

Patrick wrote:Ive just heard Anelka is asking about coming back

Well that wouldn't be bad if true, would it? But I don't htink Chelski are going to let him go anyway.

On Vieira, Mancio said he will a regular player in the side till the end of the season. Player, not starter though, so I predict he will start some tough physical away games (stoke and Everton above every one else), especially until the injury emergency lasts, then he will be used in the last half hour or so to secure results when we are in the lead, and he will do a good job of that.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby bellamys dodgy knee » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:10 pm

Cant understand this board, City sign one of the best midfielders the Prem has seem and they are moaning..

We are going to have a lot of games from now to the end of the season so we need all the quality we can get..

I dont think he has been signed as a replacement for NDY, probabily to play along side with maybe Barry going to left back..
bellamys dodgy knee
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: swp

Postby Beeks » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:40 am

According to this article reports of 140k a week have been greatly exaggerated...try £70k

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -year.html
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby razor400 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:10 am

Win, win as far as I can see. Free transfer and if he don't cut it hes gone in the summer. He wants to play in the world cup and to get in the france team he needs to put in good performances on a regular bases for us. I doubt we're paying him stupid money as he wants to play football not sit on the bench. The guy is a winner, leader and hard twat just what we need with the upcoming fixture pile up (february looks mental).
[/border][/b]
[/color]
razor400
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Champions
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby Andy, lincs » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:23 am

bellamys dodgy knee wrote:Cant understand this board, City sign one of the best midfielders the Prem has seem and they are moaning..

We are going to have a lot of games from now to the end of the season so we need all the quality we can get..

I dont think he has been signed as a replacement for NDY, probabily to play along side with maybe Barry going to left back..

Thats fairly spurious logic there BDK. By that reckoning I would like Alan Shearer up front with Gianfranco Zola please. Just because they have been one of the best does not mean it still applies numerous yeras after. However, I think it will be a decent aquisition to a squad needing a leader but I don't expect him to be anywhere near as dominant as the days he wore an Arsenal shirt.

And as for Barry going to left back, why put arguably the best English midfielder out where he isn't happy and hasn't performed in the past. Gareth Barry is best kept in the middle of midfield for me. We all seem to writing Bridges chances off and many have claimed he isn't good enough without giving him a chance under the new management. I'm quite sure Mancini will instruct Bridge not to bomb forward as much and to concerntrate on defending first so lets give him his chance. Personally I think he's been unfairly singled out. Yes he has had poor matches during that run of draws but no one covered themselves in any glory there much.
Living like I'll die tomorrow, farming like I'll live forever.
Andy, lincs
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Vieira - a few thoughts

Postby Bojinov's left foot » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:42 pm

Pleased with the signing. Great experience and a winning mentality which City are installing in its team with each new signing.

I can see why City made the signing - experience and ability to lead by example both on and off the pitch. Importantly he understands Mancini and could act as a link between the players and the Manager. Is he captain material, of course he is, we will see what Mancini does on this one with Toure out of the picture at present.

Also a major benefit tof the signing is hat he can play in the Carling and FA Cups. Other players will be able to learn from him including De Jong who at 25 in not a youngster but has not won trophies at the highest level. I feel for De Jong though as he has been one of our most consistent players and if he does not get much match time in the second half of the season will this have a negative impact on him staying at the club and/or his chances of the World Cup with Holland? Of course there are other players that would be under threat by Vieira's arrival e.g. Barry and Kompany. It is a squad game and our players more than ever before must realise that we are on the verge of great things and they can help to write history - why would they choose to leave?

Could Vieira be played at Centre Half? He has the vision to read the game though not the pace. If he was to he would need a pacy partner who was also good in the air though of course Vieira is 6ft 3" so he should be able to win a few headers too.

Why has Vieira signed for City? IMO he wanted out of Inter, we were the only Club who would offer him the money he wanted and that we were big enough to be able to offer him sufficent challenge and opportunity to win major trophies. I love the fact that he is talking about us winning the title, the belief around the squad must be sky high. I'm not sure he will play all the matches as the season develops but he will provide a quality option as first choice or in the event of injuries or loss of form.

Will he be a success at City? Time will tell of course. IMO he will be a success. If we finish in the top 4 he has done his job, the higher the better. A Carling Cup win would help to build on our confidence and set us up for the last few months of the season. Bring it on!
Bojinov's left foot
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Re: Vieira - a few thoughts

Postby Wonderwall » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:45 pm

Bojinov's left foot wrote:Pleased with the signing. Great experience and a winning mentality which City are installing in its team with each new signing.

I can see why City made the signing - experience and ability to lead by example both on and off the pitch. Importantly he understands Mancini and could act as a link between the players and the Manager. Is he captain material, of course he is, we will see what Mancini does on this one with Toure out of the picture at present.

Also a major benefit tof the signing is hat he can play in the Carling and FA Cups. Other players will be able to learn from him including De Jong who at 25 in not a youngster but has not won trophies at the highest level. I feel for De Jong though as he has been one of our most consistent players and if he does not get much match time in the second half of the season will this have a negative impact on him staying at the club and/or his chances of the World Cup with Holland? Of course there are other players that would be under threat by Vieira's arrival e.g. Barry and Kompany. It is a squad game and our players more than ever before must realise that we are on the verge of great things and they can help to write history - why would they choose to leave?

Could Vieira be played at Centre Half? He has the vision to read the game though not the pace. If he was to he would need a pacy partner who was also good in the air though of course Vieira is 6ft 3" so he should be able to win a few headers too.

Why has Vieira signed for City? IMO he wanted out of Inter, we were the only Club who would offer him the money he wanted and that we were big enough to be able to offer him sufficent challenge and opportunity to win major trophies. I love the fact that he is talking about us winning the title, the belief around the squad must be sky high. I'm not sure he will play all the matches as the season develops but he will provide a quality option as first choice or in the event of injuries or loss of form.

Will he be a success at City? Time will tell of course. IMO he will be a success. If we finish in the top 4 he has done his job, the higher the better. A Carling Cup win would help to build on our confidence and set us up for the last few months of the season. Bring it on!

merging this with the official Vieira thread as it belongs there with other posts of a similar ilk
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Bojinov's left foot » Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:58 pm

Fair point. Thanks.
Bojinov's left foot
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Re: Vieira - a few thoughts

Postby Rag_hater » Sat Jan 09, 2010 6:07 pm

Bojinov's left foot wrote:Pleased with the signing. Great experience and a winning mentality which City are installing in its team with each new signing.

I should imagine the fact that its a World Cup year would make most of the players we have now want to be on the field and not on the bench.However I think we are building a side that will play together for many years and I expect players like NDJ and Vinny to be here a lot longer than Paddy.So there time will come as they get to their peak and Paddy fades.I think they have to be a bit patient if Roberto's idea is to use him in one of their places.I think the other midfielders have time on Patrick and should not really see him as a threat but as a worthy addition
Rag_hater

Postby edge275 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:16 pm

I've just watched the press conference.

How come Vieira is sweating all the time? He's just sat there in the press conference and it's snowing outside and he has sweat all over his face!

Second of all I've noticed he breathes quite heavily. You can see him breathing even when sat there.

Thirdly I love how Mancini never answers any dodgy questions directly.

"Do you think Patrick will be your captain?"

"Patrick is a tall player and will help us greatly, he can score a goal with his head, very important"

HAHAHA
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Blue Toy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:23 pm

edge275 wrote:I've just watched the press conference.

How come Vieira is sweating all the time? He's just sat there in the press conference and it's snowing outside and he has sweat all over his face!

Second of all I've noticed he breathes quite heavily. You can see him breathing even when sat there.

"Patrick is a tall player and will help us greatly, he can score a goal with his head, very important"

HAHAHA

Interesting... Wasn't he the first to put Vicks on the chest of his shirt?
[center]Image[/center]
Blue Toy
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby mr_nool » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:23 pm

edge275 wrote:I've just watched the press conference.

HAHAHA

Because it's fucking freezing outside, so good ol' Pat's wearing Long Johns, woollen socks, anad an extra shirt. Of course he's sweating under those camera lights!
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mase » Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:22 pm

Welcome Pat.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto