Hypothetical Uwaffa b*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Hypothetical Uwaffa b*ll*x

Postby Lev Bronstein » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:51 pm

First, if (big if) Platini is trying to create a more level playing field, then at least the aim is noble, and two or three years ago we would probably in favour of something similar. We a bit touchy about it now because City might lose out.

Second, the CL was set up to pre-empt the bigger clubs (the group did not include Chelsea at the time) forming their own break-away league. Surprise surprise, the said group of clubs seemed to benefit the most.

Thirdly, Abromovich and Shiekh Mansour have between them pumped in over £1billion. With that sort of money some accountant genius will find a way of cooking the books.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby ThisIsOurCity » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:58 pm

Let's not forget that the scum posted a loss of 43m overall in their recent figures, despite
their huge income. Does anybody really think that twatini would bring in a rule that would
exclude them ?
[center]Image[/center]
ThisIsOurCity
Ben Thatcher's Elbow

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Nigel De Jong

Postby The Man In Blue » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:14 pm

Lev Bronstein wrote:Thirdly, Abromovich and Shiekh Mansour have between them pumped in over £1billion. With that sort of money some accountant genius will find a way of cooking the books.

excellent point. look at it like this. are waffa more powerful than any of the major governments of the world? these same governments whose tax legislation is routinely carved open by rich corporations and individuals, like a Leeds forward through a rag defence?

i've no doubt platini&co could be trying to bring some anti-debt legislation in. i just think some of us are over-estimating the power of uefa and underestimating the ingenuity and know how of massively rich men and their accountancy firms. fellas like HRH Mansour and Roman are big boys: politicians like platini are kittens compared.

you are right though lev - if this was real world politics i would support platini and loathe the mega-rich capitalists. how this game can blind us.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm

This was my point from the start mate, what would the Chamions League be without probably the best team in the world (and all the land), without the best players, without the biggest supporters and without the biggest sponsors?

The truth is, it would be worth nothing. City and other clubs who cannot make it within the rules will just find another way and create their own league, maybe within the European group, maybe a World group. There are many top clubs who are going to fall fowl of these rules and soon, TV and sponsors will soon realise where the profit really is and the breakaway league will become more of a spectacle than the now drab Champions League (unless we're in it)!
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby mcfc1632 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:20 pm

Socrates - really admire your strength of character - in the face of so much head in the sand

No - there would be no money to be made if Sheik was to.... - because the TV companies would have already been in deep contract agreement with the old G14 clubs - there would be no one to play in this Sheik league

People just cannot get their heads around the seriousness - and the reality of the proposals

It is not just some Socs agenda - UeFA and the top g14 clubs have been so explicit about their plans - all this 2...the Sheik could do this..." or "...the Sheik could do that...." is just playground stuff to avoid the reality of what is being planned

Reality (IMO) is the name would be changed from Champions League - perhaps - "European League" with big deal done with SKY and others

qualification through individual country leagues would be a thing of the past (Perez has already been clear on this) - (the risk of which is why they will bottle it an support the proposals) etc etc - they is no rival Sheik league unless it is with Feyenoord, Wolsfburg, Rapid Vienna, Racing Santander and a couple of others - the TV rights will be queuing up for that!!
Last edited by mcfc1632 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Chinners » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:24 pm

I think the Sheikh could do pretty much what he liked ... he could even buy Uwaffer if he really wanted to.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby mcfc1632 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:28 pm

Chinners wrote:I think the Sheikh could do pretty much what he liked ... he could even buy Uwaffer if he really wanted to.

Oh no he could not
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Socrates » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:31 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:Socrates - really admire your strength of character - in the face of so much head in the sand

No - there would be no money to be made if Sheik was to.... - because the TV companies would have already been in deep contract agreement with the old G14 clubs - there would be no one to play in this Sheik league

People just cannot get their heads around the seriousness - and the reality of the proposals

It is not just some Socs agenda - UeFA and the top g14 clubs have been so explicit about their plans - all this 2...the Sheik could do this..." or "...the Sheik could do that...." is just playground stuff to avoid the reality of what is being planned

Reality (IMO) is the name would be changed from Champions League - perhaps - "European League" with big deal done with SKY and others

qualification through individual country leagues would be a thing of the past (Perez has already been clear on this) - (the risk of which is why they will bottle it an support the proposals) etc etc - they is no rival Sheik league unless it is with Feyenoord, Wolsfburg, Rapid Vienna, Racing Santander and a couple of others - the TV rights will be queuing up for that!!

On the bright side, we could play Midgetland every year...
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby The Man In Blue » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:33 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:People just cannot get their heads around the seriousness - and the reality of the proposals

some people keep saying this. what is there to be done? instead of watching one of the most exciting and hopefully successful periods of our clubs history unfold, shall we sit here shitting ourselves about some vague proposals which may or may not come to fruition? whatever soccs and others say, these proposals are on sketchy ground. they may come into force, they may not. i'm not going to waste my time worrying about this when we have far more real concerns on our plate atm like, you know, the semi-final? and the rest of the prem season?

you can say all you want about me having my head in the sand but fuck it, i'm here for the football and supporting the team like i have been for years. MCFC, and HRH Mansour will cross these bridges if and when we come to them.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Chinners » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:34 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:
Chinners wrote:I think the Sheikh could do pretty much what he liked ... he could even buy Uwaffer if he really wanted to.

Oh no he could not

Panto season's finished fella
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby mcfc1632 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:51 pm

The Man In Blue wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:People just cannot get their heads around the seriousness - and the reality of the proposals

some people keep saying this. what is there to be done? instead of watching one of the most exciting and hopefully successful periods of our clubs history unfold, shall we sit here shitting ourselves about some vague proposals which may or may not come to fruition? whatever soccs and others say, these proposals are on sketchy ground. they may come into force, they may not. i'm not going to waste my time worrying about this when we have far more real concerns on our plate atm like, you know, the semi-final? and the rest of the prem season?

you can say all you want about me having my head in the sand but fuck it, i'm here for the football and supporting the team like i have been for years. MCFC, and HRH Mansour will cross these bridges if and when we come to them.

Do not disagree with a word of that - the point I make is that people should not just shout down Socs - simple fact is that he is almost certainly 100% right

just be thankful that:

a) we beat gillingham
b) that the Commonwealth games were held in Manchester
c) that we got back to the Prem
d) that we were in the right place (because of a, b & c) when the Sheik came along - so thank fuck for the fairy god Sheik
e) that he is a top top business person - not just a hobbyist - so we can be confident aht if anyone can manage a 3 - 4 year plan to negate this threat it is him

.............. but this does not mean that people should not recognise the 'clear and present danger' or shout Socs down - he is right - and if A - E were not the case CITY would be an also ran for all our life-times - but we are not out of the woods yet.....

(thankfully it seems clear that the Sheik knows you cannot cross these bridges when you come to them - you have to plan and take actions years ahead - which is what he is doing)
Last edited by mcfc1632 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Socrates » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:56 pm

My reason for wanting to get the point across, as I made in the financial reports thread, is that we need to bear these realities in mind at every stage when considering the actions of the owner and board. No more, no less.
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:59 pm

Socrates wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:Socrates - really admire your strength of character - in the face of so much head in the sand

That's interesting because I thought you yourself said Platini was doing this in response to the threat of a breakaway league. Ah well silly me. Of course all the TV deals are binding for the next thousand years & will never change & TV only exists in Europe.

We'll just sit there, smile and do nothing every year as they have their Chumps league without us. Looks like Chelsea will be joining us too from what their CEO has been saying & of course AC Milan & Real are heavily sponsored by people connected to their club & rich benefactors but hey, we'll sit there & smile whilst they get preferential treatment.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby mcfc1632 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:00 pm

Socrates wrote:My reason for wanting to get the point across, as I made in the financial reports thread, is that we need to bear these realities in mind at every stage when considering the actions of the owner and board. No more, no less.

Agreed - as you did when reluctantly thinking that Hughes might have stay until the end of the season (unless there was a plan....) even though it was against your other thoughts in that area - I am just saying that we should all just be grateful for the hands our club are in and do the same
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Socrates » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:04 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:
Socrates wrote:My reason for wanting to get the point across, as I made in the financial reports thread, is that we need to bear these realities in mind at every stage when considering the actions of the owner and board. No more, no less.

Agreed - as you did when reluctantly thinking that Hughes might have stay until the end of the season (unless there was a plan....) even though it was against your other thoughts in that area - I am just saying that we should all just be grateful for the hands our club are in and do the same

I am grateful, that's why I waste my time, and what's left of my hair, preaching to the ostriches!
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:05 pm

mcfc1632 wrote:

Whatever the owner does we can't meet those criteria IF Platini's panel has the powers which people are suggesting.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby mcfc1632 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:09 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Socrates wrote:

That's interesting because I thought you yourself said Platini was doing this in response to the threat of a breakaway league. Ah well silly me. Of course all the TV deals are binding for the next thousand years & will never change & TV only exists in Europe.

We'll just sit there, smile and do nothing every year as they have their Chumps league without us. Looks like Chelsea will be joining us too from what their CEO has been saying & of course AC Milan & Real are heavily sponsored by people connected to their club & rich benefactors but hey, we'll sit there & smile whilst they get preferential treatment.

sorry Ted - you have lost me on the point you are making here

Yes I did say that Platini is being driven by the threat.....

But when such a action would be triggered - you can be sure that the TV companies will have been lined up - just as you can be sure of what would be the decision of the TV companies when give a choice of either a) televising a league containing the scum, RM, IM, Barca etc etc - or b) a new proposed league with CITY and others

The individual leagues will not be qualification for this and would become 2nd tier things - and you can be sure that the proposals come out so that RM, ACM and Chelsea are in the elite club - discussions have been going on for some time

Anyway - not too much point in banging on about it

1/ If the Sheik had not come along - these lofty things would have been beyond us
2/ We need the Sheik's team to secure our seat at the table - and they are doing the right things it seems - but the actions of the Sheik / CITY seem to indicate that they put much more credibility on this threat than a lot of CITY fans
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Socrates » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:10 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:

Whatever the owner does we can't meet those criteria IF Platini's panel has the powers which people are suggesting.

It is possible to meet the criteria - we need Champions League money very very quickly though and will have to be more prudent in the transfer markets and start producing more and more through the Academy. As 1632 says, these needs seem to be fully recognised by the board. They are definitely heading towards the compliance route rather than rebellion. It will mean people needing to be more understanding at that actions if they seem ruthless and hasty and also in future tempering their expectations of the owner in the transfer market.
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby mcfc1632 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:14 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
mcfc1632 wrote:

Yup - which is why it needs to be an attack on a number of fronts:

1/ get increased / sustainable revenue asap (CL)
2/ spend now to get there so we do not have to so much in the future
3/ ditto theme in getting youth set up right
4/ get established as a top club (like Chelsea previously) so you become part of the group
5/ gain friends within the group e.g. Barca through good relationships / joint interests (spread a bit of wealth perhaps) - get them batting for you
6/ sick as it sounds - have a dialogue with the french git - try and influence - lets try an modify the 'detail' so we are not excluded

etc etc

Just trying on any one front is not enough
Last edited by mcfc1632 on Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:15 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Scatman wrote:Definitely yes for me. The european cup hasn't been the same since they let all the runners-up in. If they let ONLY the runners up in, then what a joke.

Absolutely. Bring back European Cup, Uefa Cup and Cup Winners Cup the way they were.

Besides Real, AS Milan, Juventus would all be excluded alongside us, Chelsea, Rags and Scousepool if they were really strict about it. Champion's League would lose all interest, which is just fine for me as I think it's bit of a Mickey Mouse competition right now anyway.

I honestly find UEFA Cup more interesting than Champs League, because there's a bit of variation in it.

If Milan and Juve were excluded, then a lot of African fans in their mid-20s would lose interest (the people who grew up watching European football while English clubs were banned). It's African and Asian countries where the big TV money for the Champs League would lie, I guess, due to the proliferation of internet streaming in Europe, the lack of interest from South America, and number of different countries on each continent. Asians are notoriously fairweather fans (not a dig or jibe or anything), and those who mainly watch Prem football and start to support City would soon lose interest in UEFA competitions. Revenue would plummet, as more nations would then spend money buying rights to domestic leagues, thus devaluing the marketing potential of the competition.

All in all, I can't see it ever happening.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum