True grit in bid to keep show on the road

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: True grit in bid to keep show on the road

Postby Socrates » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:39 am

Alfie wrote:
Socrates wrote:
Alfie wrote:
LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:Agree with JF all the way here. Can you imagine buying, storage and distribution costs for every road/ pavement in Britain just because we have some snow for one week every 10 years? I genuinely believe some people here think that this would only be for the few streets they drive down to get their bread from a shop 5 minutes walk away. You need to see the bigger picture. The cost would be astronomical. Also, when it turns to this mush which we have salt and grit does no good.

For those of you who are saying this happens every year, can you inform the rest of us bemused souls as to when more Premiership matches have been called off than they have this year?

So what some people are saying basically, is that it's okay that matches is abandoned for safety reasons. But a relatively small precautionary public expense is not worth the money. Isn't that strange? Safety rather than football but low taxes rather than safety?

What would the costs have been if half of that money (£1B) would've been invested in precautionary measures?
Some of that equipment would probably be useful for other unplanned events as well, not just harsh winters.

£500million...

bastard... :]~

lol
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby eastlandsblue » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:21 am

The councils around the country what to learn from this, and stockpile, because if they don't they will be villified next time this happens. Companies have lost millions in lost time and production. But the biggest issue has to be those who have lost there lives due to this.
pain i can handle, but pride hurts
eastlandsblue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Rag_hater » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:27 am

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:Agree with JF all the way here. Can you imagine buying, storage and distribution costs for every road/ pavement in Britain just because we have some snow for one week every 10 years? I genuinely believe some people here think that this would only be for the few streets they drive down to get their bread from a shop 5 minutes walk away. You need to see the bigger picture. The cost would be astronomical. Also, when it turns to this mush which we have salt and grit does no good.

For those of you who are saying this happens every year, can you inform the rest of us bemused souls as to when more Premiership matches have been called off than they have this year?

How many prem matches have been called off. None ,or very few. That was a cup match we abandoned the other day. And why?
The pitch was playable,it was just the surrounding area that was fucked up,the politicans responsibility(the ones whose job seems to be making mugs of the people who vote them in.Grounds have had undersoil heating for a number of years now,why?Is it because it gets fuckin very cold every year and they find it cheaper to invest in underground heating once than year on year lose revenue by cancelling matches.Seems to me football grounds are better prepared than the rest of people in charge of the local services.
It might be a bit worse than it normally is but the fact that there are a load of Prem matches today proves that it is quite easy to overcome if the right plannin is applied.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby john@staustell » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:42 am

Rag_hater wrote:

How many prem matches have been called off. None ,or very few. That was a cup match we abandoned the other day. And why?
The pitch was playable,it was just the surrounding area that was fucked up,the politicans responsibility(the ones whose job seems to be making mugs of the people who vote them in.Grounds have had undersoil heating for a number of years now,why?Is it because it gets fuckin very cold every year and they find it cheaper to invest in underground heating once than year on year lose revenue by cancelling matches.Seems to me football grounds are better prepared than the rest of people in charge of the local services.
It might be a bit worse than it normally is but the fact that there are a load of Prem matches today proves that it is quite easy to overcome if the right plannin is applied.

Have you checked lately mate?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby feedthegreek » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:45 am

theres only 2 matches on today.
the rest are off. arsenal v everton their having meetings about as i type.
the only other is brum v scum.
and i dont think city will be on either on monday.
feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Rag_hater » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:59 am

feedthegreek wrote:theres only 2 matches on today.

I'm sorry.I stand corrected.I'll be gutted if they cant sort it by Monday.From what I've read the pitch is playable just how many people they want to play in front of.
Rag_hater

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:13 am

Rag_hater wrote:
feedthegreek wrote:theres only 2 matches on today.

I'm sorry.I stand corrected.I'll be gutted if they cant sort it by Monday.From what I've read the pitch is playable just how many people they want to play in front of.

I think that's mostly the case, they're worried about people getting injured whilst travelling not neccessarily on the roads but on the pavements too. These days that can mean lawyers getting involved wheras in the past we just got on with it. City have got their own grit apparently but it won't be enough to do the whole surrounding area.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Wonderwall » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:19 am

When I was in stockport over Xmas, I went to the Renault dealers about a car for my daughter. Outside by the cars was like an ice skating rink, I told them it was really dangerous and asked why they didnt clear it up. They told me that if they attempted to clear it up and make it safe, it would mean that as a company they were admitting there is a problem. Therefore if they attempt to remove the problem and someone still slips and hurts themselves, then they are liable! However, if they leave it dangerous, they are not liable, even though its on their premises!

Fucking world has gone MAD!
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:26 am

Wonderwall wrote:When I was in stockport over Xmas, I went to the Renault dealers about a car for my daughter. Outside by the cars was like an ice skating rink, I told them it was really dangerous and asked why they didnt clear it up. They told me that if they attempted to clear it up and make it safe, it would mean that as a company they were admitting there is a problem. Therefore if they attempt to remove the problem and someone still slips and hurts themselves, then they are liable! However, if they leave it dangerous, they are not liable, even though its on their premises!

Haha yep. Ridiculous but sadly typical of the litigious mess we've become.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Socrates » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

While people whinge and whine about so called political correctness from public bodies and the social sector they are missing the fact that the root of many problems is the risk averse profiteering capitalists in the [strike]protection racket[/strike] insurance industry... Kids not playing contact sports (or conkers ffs?) at school? Everyone blames some faceless bureaucrat somewhere for being PC. Don't. Blame the insurance industry who say they won't cover schools for it...
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby eastlandsblue » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:15 pm

Wonderwall wrote:When I was in stockport over Xmas, I went to the Renault dealers about a car for my daughter. Outside by the cars was like an ice skating rink, I told them it was really dangerous and asked why they didnt clear it up. They told me that if they attempted to clear it up and make it safe, it would mean that as a company they were admitting there is a problem. Therefore if they attempt to remove the problem and someone still slips and hurts themselves, then they are liable! However, if they leave it dangerous, they are not liable, even though its on their premises!

Asda used the same reason mate.
pain i can handle, but pride hurts
eastlandsblue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:34 pm

Socrates wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

While people whinge and whine about so called political correctness from public bodies and the social sector they are missing the fact that the root of many problems is the risk averse profiteering capitalists in the [strike]protection racket[/strike] insurance industry... Kids not playing contact sports (or conkers ffs?) at school? Everyone blames some faceless bureaucrat somewhere for being PC. Don't. Blame the insurance industry who say they won't cover schools for it...

The adverts on tv blatantly ambulance chasing, offering 'no win no pay' services for any moron who falls on his arse to make a few quid are bringing the whole thing into disrepute imo. I don't think the 'faceless beureaucrats' & pc brigade are helping though. Some of these characters for instance encourage mediocrity in sport so that those who are crap don't get mentally scarred by the experience of losing. We'd've had no fans for the past 20 odd years if we'd been brought up that way!

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Socrates » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:37 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Socrates wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

The adverts on tv blatantly ambulance chasing, offering 'no win no pay' services for any moron who falls on his arse to make a few quid are bringing the whole thing into disrepute imo. I don't think the 'faceless beureaucrats' & pc brigade are helping though. Some of these characters for instance encourage mediocrity in sport so that those who are crap don't get mentally scarred by the experience of losing. We'd've had no fans for the past 20 odd years if we'd been brought up that way!

They are frightened of being sued for not preventing the said emotional scarring. I kid you not...
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:48 pm

Socrates wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Socrates wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

They are frightened of being sued for not preventing the said emotional scarring. I kid you not...

Well I still have nightmares about Frank Clark & Phil Neal........hmmm..

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:52 pm

THE UK IS OBSESSED WITH HEALTH AND SAFETY - THATS A QUOTE FROM WENGER AND I HAVE TO SAY..HE,S NOT FAR WRONG.

FUCKING MENTAL BRITAIN.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Rag_hater » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:54 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Socrates wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Socrates wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Well I still have nightmares about Frank Clark & Phil Neal........hmmm..

If thats the case I think you have grounds to sue the club:)
Rag_hater

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:59 pm

Rag_hater wrote:If thats the case I think you have grounds to sue the club:)

I suppose if everyone who's been mentally scarred by City over the years put a claim in the Sheikh would be skint.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby rick1894citizen » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:07 pm

The 5 day forecast for NW is looking pretty good tbh, temperture's not as severe and aslong as snow stays away we will be back to normal next weekend.

Il never moan about are usually never ending rain again ;o)
rick1894citizen
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby CITYSTEVEDON » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:25 pm

rick1894citizen wrote:The 5 day forecast for NW is looking pretty good tbh, temperture's not as severe and aslong as snow stays away we will be back to normal next weekend.

that be alright for everton, but we play on monday at home
CITYSTEVEDON
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: who ever plays for city

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:39 pm

rick1894citizen wrote:The 5 day forecast for NW is looking pretty good tbh, temperture's not as severe and aslong as snow stays away we will be back to normal next weekend.

im with you on that rick, it can rain all it wants as long as the football's on
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum