True grit in bid to keep show on the road

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

True grit in bid to keep show on the road

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:39 pm

City staff are working night and day to ensure that Monday night’s Premier League home game with Blackburn (8pm) goes ahead as scheduled.

A spate of postponements and no let up in the weather’s icy grip are threatening to play havoc with the football calendar but the Club is doing everything in its power to prevent the Rovers fixture going the same way as the Carling Cup semi-final did at the height of the midweek snow storms.

Snow ploughs are currently working on clearing a foot of snow from the north car parks, Commonwealth Way, and Car Park Seven where the away coaches will be situated.

The club is in constant contact with the council’s gritting team to ensure that the surrounding roads and footpaths are part of their plans, and is also in the process of contacting all accredited externally operated car parks to check on action plans and remind them of their obligation to ensure the safe operation of their sites on match day.

Although temperatures are set to drop to -8 and -9 over the next two nights there is only likely to be the odd snow shower around the ground between now and Monday evening. The undersoil heating will be left on and the pitch is currently clear of snow and in a playable condition.

The pitch perimeter has also been cleared and the stadium infrastructure is currently operating as normal.

The concourse roadway within SportCity has been gritted and is in use. Car Parks 6a and 6b and Citystore have been cleared of snow and are in use. The outer concourse has been cleared of snow and is in use. Joe Mercer Way and SportCity Way have been cleared of snow and are in use. The Citystore and box office are open for business as normal.

However, the East car park is being used to store snow that has been cleared from other areas of the site and will remain out of use. This car park will NOT be in use for the Blackburn Rovers game.

Postponement risk protocol procedures are in place and will be implemented if necessary.

However, MCFC have grit spreading equipment and a supply of grit on standby for Monday to ensure that all public areas of the site freshly covered in advance of the game.

from mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: True grit in bid to keep show on the road

Postby feedthegreek » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:53 pm

just posted that on the have you lost any money, through the postponment thread.
cos if they had done that then surely we could have played the semi.
feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby kinkylola » Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:54 pm

Here's some advice every british person, and the entire government actually.

buy some fucking salt.

You wouldn't have to flip out about 2 inches of snow ... which you can't plow off your streets because of your stupid ass cobblestone roads.

Tell you what, you can have that advice for free too. You're welcome.

Also, full marks to MCFC for taking the initiative to prepare for this in advance.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:09 pm

kinkylola wrote:Here's some advice every british person, and the entire government actually.

buy some fucking salt.

You wouldn't have to flip out about 2 inches of snow ... which you can't plow off your streets because of your stupid ass cobblestone roads.

Also, full marks to MCFC for taking the initiative to prepare for this in advance.

How about winter tyres?

http://www.etyres.co.uk/bad-weather-tyres
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby zuricity » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:22 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
kinkylola wrote:Here's some advice every british person, and the entire government actually.

buy some fucking salt.

How about winter tyres?

Good Grief NQDP, this is England were talking about. This sort of thing only happens once in a blue moon :-)

I wonder of the young girls going out on the town have finally managed to dress properly for winter ?

Never ceases to amaze some of the Swiss guys that come over with me to watch City ,how the girls wake around in arse coldweather in
stilletos and tank tops and no Coats !
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby irblinx » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:23 pm

buy some fucking salt.

cobblestone roads?? It's not all Coronation Street ya know.

I wish I'd have thought of scattering a bit of salt last night when I was digging the 6 inches of snow off my drive
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Vhero » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:46 pm

was gritted nicely at last match and we are really due no more heavy snow down here now before match time on Monday so shouldn't really be much of a prob by then anyways a bit of grit will do nicely. Saltmines over here in UK have been working 24/7 thanks to snow its madness it never been this bad in my lifetime they say its the worst snow they had in 30 years!

Then they blame global warming. I say if it global warming how comes we had it 30 years ago too? anyway I digress..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Haz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:43 pm

buy some fucking salt.

Erm, try 12 inches actually. Most we've had for 42 years, according to ITV. And salt will only work down to a certain temp. If it gets much colder, halite wont work.
Haz
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: The Goat

Postby simon12 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:53 pm

Poll tax, business rates, corporation tax and road tax to name a few. Not 1 gritter or snow plough was out in Manchester tameside trafford or salford whilst the snow was falling so maybe the council should ensure the game is on as it`s surrounding roads and paths that are the problem they are a fucking joke. They are out clearing footpaths NOW. Woopie Doo. Shit I feel all ashton287. Rant over well done MCFC.
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Socrates » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:54 pm

simon12 wrote:Poll tax, business rates, corporation tax and road tax to name a few. Not 1 gritter or snow plough was out in Manchester tameside trafford or salford whilst the snow was falling so maybe the council should ensure the game is on as it`s surrounding roads and paths that are the problem they are a fucking joke. They are out clearing footpaths NOW. Woopie Doo. Shit I feel all ashton287. Rant over well done MCFC.

You do know the forecast the evening before wasn't that bad? Maybe you'd be happy if the council spent your council tax on psychics?
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Thu Jan 07, 2010 7:57 pm

What's the point in wasting money for something that only happens once every 50 years?

Just because one or two football games are called off doesn't mean the world is going to end.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Haz » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:06 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:What's the point in wasting money for something that only happens once every 50 years?

Just because one or two football games are called off doesn't mean the world is going to end.

Very true.

It would be uneconomical for councils to invest more in precautions, eg more gritters. It would be political suicide if a council spent a couple of million quid on gritters which were then used anoub 10 times in their entire lifespan. There would be a public outcry at the 'wasting of money'. Its all down to politics, they won't do whats needed if it loses votes.
Haz
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: The Goat

Postby Florida Blue » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:24 pm

zuricity wrote:

buy some fucking salt.

How about winter tyres?

Good Grief NQDP, this is England were talking about. This sort of thing only happens once in a blue moon :-)

I wonder of the young girls going out on the town have finally managed to dress properly for winter ?

Never ceases to amaze some of the Swiss guys that come over with me to watch City ,how the girls wake around in arse coldweather in

Really? I seem to remember being there February 1, 2009 and barely making my flight. Clearly global warming is alive and well in the UK!!
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby ashton287 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:27 pm

i wonder if we'll be allowed to play in the car park were there storing all the snow, im taking my 3 little cousins to this one and there must be a shiiiit load of snow, would be awesome
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Socrates » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:28 pm

Haz wrote:
LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:What's the point in wasting money for something that only happens once every 50 years?

Very true.

It would be uneconomical for councils to invest more in precautions, eg more gritters. It would be political suicide if a council spent a couple of million quid on gritters which were then used anoub 10 times in their entire lifespan. There would be a public outcry at the 'wasting of money'. Its all down to politics, they won't do whats needed if it loses votes.

Can you imagine the whining if they just bought too much salt? It'd be headlines about "grit mountains!"
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby ashton287 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:30 pm

zuricity wrote:

buy some fucking salt.

How about winter tyres?

also how dare you pal, how very dare you. we like our women half dressed thanks alot, keep your wooly jumpers and longjohns to yourself
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Florida Blue » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:33 pm

Socrates wrote:
Haz wrote:

Very true.

Can you imagine the whining if they just bought too much salt? It'd be headlines about "grit mountains!"

I remember when I was living in Washington, DC in 2005. The "most powerful city in the world" and the surrounding areas ran out of salt/sand by Decemeber, and had blown through their budgets. The worst of the winter was yet to come. Virginia had to "import" salt from Tennessee and the city had to from Ohio or Pennsylvania with an IOU attached. You think you have it bad. 1/10th of the snow you are getting would shut down most of DC for a week. The worst part about DC is that it never gets really cold, and usually hovers around freezing, so they need to salt all the time as the roads refreeze every night. Cannot tell you how many times I have driven sideways on black ice.

It is great they are clearing the car parks, but how passable with the roads be for fans? How far is the nearest train station?
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby kinkylola » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:38 pm

that is why investing in salt is smart. Salt also melts ice.

We just got 20+ inches in baltimore. No one drove while it was snowing ... A day after it stopped snowing the roads were completely fine. Wet, but no ice no snow. Because salt and "grit" were put down beforehand ... not complicated.

And as far as I've seen from forecasts ... the temp over there is just at the freezing point, that is not cold enough by far to negate the use of salt. If you drove around in a truck and shoveled salt off the back it would have dramatically lessened the danger presented from Ice and 12'' of snow.
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby simon12 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:38 pm

Socrates wrote:
simon12 wrote:Poll tax, business rates, corporation tax and road tax to name a few. Not 1 gritter or snow plough was out in Manchester tameside trafford or salford whilst the snow was falling so maybe the council should ensure the game is on as it`s surrounding roads and paths that are the problem they are a fucking joke. They are out clearing footpaths NOW. Woopie Doo. Shit I feel all ashton287. Rant over well done MCFC.

You do know the forecast the evening before wasn't that bad? Maybe you'd be happy if the council spent your council tax on psychics?

?
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Socrates » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:41 pm

simon12 wrote:
Socrates wrote:

?

!
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum