True grit in bid to keep show on the road

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: True grit in bid to keep show on the road

Postby MSG77 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:19 pm

zuricity wrote:
MSG77 wrote:I'm not sure if you Brits realize this or not, but -

Sand and salt don't go bad. If you have too much one year, you just leave it stockpiled and it'll still be good the next year. I swear. I've got a bucket of sand right now to put on any ice that may form on my steps. It won't go bad, it has an indefinite shelflife.

Now, the machinery needed to sand and salt the roads is a different issue, and probably valid.

Also, I realize again that it wouldn't be needed that often, but Calcium Chloride melts ice to -25 F. There are icemelts available that melt ice better than regular rocksalt. I can't imagine a whole town being shut down by snow in places where they normally get lots of snow.

But I don't get calling off a match on Monday because it snowed the middle of the previous week. I've been to sporting events where it snowed over a foot that day. Of course, it was in areas where they are prepared for it. But if the pitch is fine, lets get on with it.

Problem is , in places like liverpool, salt and sand would be knicked in the summer when every one goes on holiday. I can understand why people don't want to invest a couple of quid in a bag of sand.

Couldn't they just store it in the garages' of Liverpool players? Surely they must have some space and be well secured? Oh wait, hang on ... never mind!
"this man is a equivalent of large and strong a construction that badly constructed you know, but without real figure, as you say, it does not classify. a thus affectionate man of the alcoholic drink can only influence its condition lies them. the mental state! that is why own goals from richard are many, the guilt shall lie only at legs of Arthur Guinness!" - LazioFanFromManchester
MSG77
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Postby Rag_hater » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:23 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:Who is gonna nick salt?
Storing it really is not a problem.
Making a car have snow chains for its MOT is what should be done immediately.Most people could run to about 30 quid once to get a set.

Snow chains destroy the road surface wherever there's a patch with no snow & would cost the country fucking millions in re sufacing. Tyres with studs in are too expensive considering it only snows like this once every 30 years.

I dont think they would do that much damage.
Its the law to have them in certain countries.

They do.

I'm not convinced that they do and I think that if they are only used in extreme conditions like your experiencing now the damage would be minimal.And the way they build roads in the UK means that they have to be regularly resurfaced anyway so it seems to me that compared to what its costing the country now it is a small price to pay.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:31 pm

Rag_hater wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
Rag_hater wrote:Who is gonna nick salt?
Storing it really is not a problem.
Making a car have snow chains for its MOT is what should be done immediately.Most people could run to about 30 quid once to get a set.

Snow chains destroy the road surface wherever there's a patch with no snow & would cost the country fucking millions in re sufacing. Tyres with studs in are too expensive considering it only snows like this once every 30 years.

I dont think they would do that much damage.
Its the law to have them in certain countries.

They do.

I'm not convinced that they do and I think that if they are only used in extreme conditions like your experiencing now the damage would be minimal.And the way they build roads in the UK means that they have to be regularly resurfaced anyway so it seems to me that compared to what its costing the country now it is a small price to pay.

Well I know for a fact that they do seeing as I spend a period of each year in Norway & often cycle over the lumps & holes left by the snow chains & studded tyres & in fact have been in trucks churning up the road surface going through tunnels etc in the winter. There are 10 times as many people/trucks here.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Rag_hater » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:40 pm

But how long is the snow down for? I dont know but I would think its a lot longer than in the UK.I think the fact that cars spend most of the winter equipped like that every year might have something to do with it.Whereas in UK if they have to do it for a week or two once in a blue moon I dont think it would have the same effect
Rag_hater

Postby mr_nool » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:46 pm

Rag_hater wrote:But how long is the snow down for? I dont know but I would think its a lot longer than in the UK.I think the fact that cars spend most of the winter equipped like that every year might have something to do with it.Whereas in UK if they have to do it for a week or two once in a blue moon I dont think it would have the same effect

You don't have snow chains on for a longer period of time anywhere. It's just a security measure you keep in the trunk of the car - in case you should be surprised by heavy snow fall. Winter tires (tires with studs) is a completely different issue. They do damage the road surface, but not remotely as much as snow chains (which are very impractical by the way, you cant drive more than 30-40 km/h with chains on).
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Ted Hughes » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:47 pm

Rag_hater wrote:But how long is the snow down for? I dont know but I would think its a lot longer than in the UK.I think the fact that cars spend most of the winter equipped like that every year might have something to do with it.Whereas in UK if they have to do it for a week or two once in a blue moon I dont think it would have the same effect

They're a fucking nightmare if you're not used to 'em mate. Just putting the bastards on properly if it's a small vehicle & keeping them there so you don't have to be crawling through snowdrifts searching for them when they fly off is bad enough! Then god knows what happens if they hit someone! It's just no good for this country.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Rag_hater » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

They're a fucking nightmare if you're not used to 'em mate. Just putting the bastards on properly if it's a small vehicle & keeping them there so you don't have to be crawling through snowdrifts searching for them when they fly off is bad enough! Then god knows what happens if they hit someone! It's just no good for this country.
mr_nool wrote:

You don't have snow chains on for a longer period of time anywhere. It's just a security measure you keep in the trunk of the car - in case you should be surprised by heavy snow fall. Winter tires (tires with studs) is a completely different issue. They do damage the road surface, but not remotely as much as snow chains (which are very impractical by the way, you cant drive more than 30-40 km/h with chains on).

Fair enough maybe they arnt the solution.
However I do think that your coping with it very badly from the news I get over here.
The roads getting iced up is nothing new,it happens for a few weeks every year and I would have thought by now you would be able to deal with it.
Rag_hater

Postby Socrates » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Rag_hater wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

mr_nool wrote:

However I do think that your coping with it very badly from the news I get over here.
The roads getting iced up is nothing new,it happens for a few weeks every year and I would have thought by now you would be able to deal with it.

iced up? we've had 16 inches of snow FFS.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby bluej » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:41 pm

Rag_hater wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

mr_nool wrote:

Thats the point though - its much more severe than it usually is.

Re: extra gritting - as well as holding the extra grit you need extra lorries to spread it and therefore extra staff etc.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Socrates » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:49 pm

snow ploughs cost around 100k each, gritting wagons not much less - how many extra for each of the 380 local authority areas do people think are needed?
How many extra giant barns per authority to store the grit and salt?
How many extra people will have to be employed?

What happens when the weather forecasters get it wrong and they can''t act quickly enough?
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:09 pm

Fcuk me, 3 pages on the weather and salt. What a fcuking rivetting read you twats ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Socrates » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:14 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:Fcuk me, 3 pages on the weather and salt. What a fcuking rivetting read you twats ;-)

I put pepper down by mistake :O(
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:19 pm

Socrates wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:Fcuk me, 3 pages on the weather and salt. What a fcuking rivetting read you twats ;-)

TWAT!!! I bet you never knew about halite did you? Wait, don't answer that ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Socrates » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:00 am

Beefymcfc wrote:
Socrates wrote:

no but next door's cat seems to be able to tell the difference...
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:11 am

Socrates wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:
Socrates wrote:

no but next door's cat seems to be able to tell the difference...

Fcuk me, it gets worse and wierder by the second. My Mrs just said that they should grit the streets with cat litter, and we ain't got got a cat!!!

COMPLETE AND UTTER TWATS!!!

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:21 am

Agree with JF all the way here. Can you imagine buying, storage and distribution costs for every road/ pavement in Britain just because we have some snow for one week every 10 years? I genuinely believe some people here think that this would only be for the few streets they drive down to get their bread from a shop 5 minutes walk away. You need to see the bigger picture. The cost would be astronomical. Also, when it turns to this mush which we have salt and grit does no good.

For those of you who are saying this happens every year, can you inform the rest of us bemused souls as to when more Premiership matches have been called off than they have this year?
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Socrates » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:15 am

Those saying it happens every year seem mostly to live in either the Southern Hemisphere or the Iberian Peninsula. I think somone put catlitter in their bovril.
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Alfie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:18 am

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:Agree with JF all the way here. Can you imagine buying, storage and distribution costs for every road/ pavement in Britain just because we have some snow for one week every 10 years? I genuinely believe some people here think that this would only be for the few streets they drive down to get their bread from a shop 5 minutes walk away. You need to see the bigger picture. The cost would be astronomical. Also, when it turns to this mush which we have salt and grit does no good.

For those of you who are saying this happens every year, can you inform the rest of us bemused souls as to when more Premiership matches have been called off than they have this year?

So what some people are saying basically, is that it's okay that matches is abandoned for safety reasons. But a relatively small precautionary public expense is not worth the money. Isn't that strange? Safety rather than football but low taxes rather than safety?

What would the costs have been if half of that money (£1B) would've been invested in precautionary measures?
Some of that equipment would probably be useful for other unplanned events as well, not just harsh winters.
Alfie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby Socrates » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:23 am

Alfie wrote:
LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:Agree with JF all the way here. Can you imagine buying, storage and distribution costs for every road/ pavement in Britain just because we have some snow for one week every 10 years? I genuinely believe some people here think that this would only be for the few streets they drive down to get their bread from a shop 5 minutes walk away. You need to see the bigger picture. The cost would be astronomical. Also, when it turns to this mush which we have salt and grit does no good.

So what some people are saying basically, is that it's okay that matches is abandoned for safety reasons. But a relatively small precautionary public expense is not worth the money. Isn't that strange? Safety rather than football but low taxes rather than safety?

What would the costs have been if half of that money (£1B) would've been invested in precautionary measures?
Some of that equipment would probably be useful for other unplanned events as well, not just harsh winters.

£500million...
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Alfie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:25 am

Socrates wrote:
Alfie wrote:

£500million...

bastard... :]~
Alfie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Darius Vassell's Composure

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum