Vieira in fight to face Blackburn

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Vieira in fight to face Blackburn

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:14 pm

Roberto Mancini welcomed Patrick Vieira to his City squad today - and then revealed that he fears the Blues' injury crisis might claim the World Cup-winning midfielder straight away.

New boss Mancini, who has won his first three games in charge despite a clutch of absentees, is not sure whether he can parade the 33-year-old former Arsenal hero on Monday against Blackburn.

Vieira, who watched his new City team-mates train at Carrington, took a painful knock towards the end of his valedictory performance for Inter Milan on Wednesday, a 1-0 win at Chievo.

Mancini admitted: "I don't know if he plays against Blackburn. He took a kick on the calf at the end of the game. We'll have to see how he is tomorrow and then we have two days to decide."

Vieira is determined to shake off the knock, and played down the notion of becoming skipper, an honour currently enjoyed by Kolo Toure, on African Nations Cup duty with Ivory Coast. He said: "Kolo is doing a good job, he is a fantastic captain."

Mancini also waved away the idea of Vieira taking the armband - "we have many important players and Patrick is another of those" - but left no doubt as to his admiration for his first signing.

He declared: "He is a big player, an important player. And he is a winner - at Arsenal, at Juventus, at Inter Milan, he won a lot of trophies, and he wants to continue that way here at City.

"You talk about signing big-name players, well Patrick has a big name. He will be a regular player, he can improve our performances. It is most important that he plays well."

Roberto drew a grin from Vieira when he added: "Patrick can help me because he knows my working methods, because his mentality is most important for the team ... and because he is a tall player who can score goals with his head!"

from mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Vieira in fight to face Blackburn

Postby CityGer » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:18 pm

Nice one.

This could have gone in the other Vieira thread you started, though.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby edge275 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:19 pm

Mark ( Blue Army ) wrote:

"You talk about signing big-name players, well Patrick has a big name. He will be a regular player, he can improve our performances. It is most important that he plays well."

from mcfc.co.uk

Interesting...
"Like all bullies, they've just found out that there is a much bigger guy in town, someone who is richer and more powerful than their worst nightmare. And this smiling Arabic assassin is intent on stealing all the treasures they've nicked off everyone else, and pulverising them into commercial and footballing oblivion as he does so."
edge275
pot noodle style supporter
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mike Lingo

Postby Blue in the face » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:10 pm

We bought a player who has an injury? Oh, what a fuckin surprise.
Blue in the face
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby Goataldo » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:21 pm

Has he got a long term injury? I know he has a knock to the calf at the mo which should be nowt, but is that all? Seem to remember some rumour or other saying he might be carrying summat...
Goataldo
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Manchester City F.C.

Postby Vhero » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:45 pm

Nice to see him in action straight away if we do.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby irblinx » Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:52 pm

uwe's_skyblue_duvet wrote:Has he got a long term injury? I know he has a knock to the calf at the mo which should be nowt, but is that all? Seem to remember some rumour or other saying he might be carrying summat...

Doubt it, he got a kick whilst playing 90 minutes mid week
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby feedthegreek » Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:19 pm

paricks 1st interview .

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/Video
feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby CityFanFromRome » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:32 pm

Blue in the face wrote:We bought a player who has an injury? Oh, what a fuckin surprise.

Just a knock at the end of the game, nothing serious. If he had played on Sunday instead than on Wednesday it wouldn't even be mentioned.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Blue in the face » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:59 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:
Blue in the face wrote:We bought a player who has an injury? Oh, what a fuckin surprise.

Just a knock at the end of the game, nothing serious. If he had played on Sunday instead than on Wednesday it wouldn't even be mentioned.

Fingers crossed then. Hope he makes it.
Blue in the face
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:18 pm

I like the cut of his jib
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site