Petrov....Is it the end?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Petrov....Is it the end?

Postby shawzy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:35 pm

Well his contract expires at the end of the season..Will Bobby Manc keep him on? Personally i think hes got alot to offer to the team and hope he can get a new deal.
Have a read of this and post your thoughts guys http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... -City.html
shawzy
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Marc-Vivien Foé

Re: Petrov....Is it the end?

Postby BlueinBosnia » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:42 pm

Personally don't think he'll want to stay as a squad player- he'll also be seeking a multiple year contract, something I reckon we'll be unwilling to offer. If he stays in Britain, I'd expect Celtic and Stoke to show interest. Otherwise, a move to a Romanian/Ukrainian/Russian team vying for a CL spot could be on the cards.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby mr_nool » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:49 pm

BlueinBosnia wrote:Personally don't think he'll want to stay as a squad player- he'll also be seeking a multiple year contract, something I reckon we'll be unwilling to offer. If he stays in Britain, I'd expect Celtic and Stoke to show interest. Otherwise, a move to a Romanian/Ukrainian/Russian team vying for a CL spot could be on the cards.

I really like Petrov, and have ever since he came to City. Every time he gets the ball one the LEFT I get excited. This season he's also showed that he can do a good job coming into the field from the right (even though I think he should be played as an ou and out left winger). Having said that, I agree with BiB. He's getting older and will probably be looking for a last, LONG, and lucrative contract. We might be better off letting him go ...
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Jan 09, 2010 8:54 pm

The big question is 'Why have we not extended/renewed his contract?'.

He is just short of 31 years old and always brings something to the field when he plays. Personally, I'd want to keep him here but if not, I reckon he's definately worth 5 mil or more in the present market.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby mr_nool » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:01 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:The big question is 'Why have we not extended/renewed his contract?'.

He is just short of 31 years old and always brings something to the field when he plays. Personally, I'd want to keep him here but if not, I reckon he's definately worth 5 mil or more in the present market.

Not trying to make this into a Hughes in/out discussion, but it's quite clear that Leslie didn't rate him that highly. Quite an obvious reason why his contract hasn't been renegotiated imo.
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:20 pm

I would love petrov to stay but i think he will be on his way. If we manage to get in the champions league next year i can see a big spending spree on the cards and that won't help petrov's chances of getting in the team if he does get a new contract with us.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby paulh » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:22 pm

i would miss him but i find it offensive when he doesnt defend at times or back track
paulh
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: gareth barry

Postby 9secondlegend » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:23 pm

in my opinion he was the best player pre season and when he gets a game he changes the game.
9secondlegend
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: mcfc

Postby Socrates » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:33 pm

Hughes didn't like anyone he didn't sign himself. I'm sure even his apologisers would admit that.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Wonderwall » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:34 pm

Socrates wrote:Hughes didn't like anyone he didn't sign himself. I'm sure even his apologisers would admit that.

thats right he hated Ireland!
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby mr_nool » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:35 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
Socrates wrote:Hughes didn't like anyone he didn't sign himself. I'm sure even his apologisers would admit that.

Vass didn't get a fair chance either!
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby french_tony » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:41 pm

I love Petrov, one of my favourite City players, and always get excited when he makes one of his runs down the left and twats it. Fantastic under Sven, unlucky last year and has done a great job for us when he has played this year. My only criticism is that he has lost a yard of pace since his injury and is no longer as explosive as he was (which made him IMO one of the best left wingers in the world a few years ago).
Still he has a hell of a shot and is the best crosser of the ball at the club.
I'd give him another year or two but I am sure he wants three or four.
french_tony
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Socrates » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:43 pm

Did I really need to say non-Academy? I don't think I did.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Blue Toy » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:49 pm

He seems to have matured a lot... I don't know, I just get the vibe that he's going to flourish and will also be used in a more inside role as he starts to lose his pace. I know he can't tackle for shit, but he knows how to pass a ball and could easily be used as a playmaker.

For me, I'd love to see him stay.
[center]Image[/center]
Blue Toy
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Wonderwall » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:49 pm

Oh I see, so your point is, hughes came in and only liked players that came through the academy. He decided he didnt like the previous managers players and sold them or wouldn't play them.

Great analysis. I am sure he should have kept Gelson, Bianchi, Geovanni & ELano and not signed NDJ, Barry, Kompany, Tevez, Bellamy, RSC, SWP, Robinho etc
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:54 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Vass didn't get a fair chance either!

I think he was unfair leaving Caicedo out all the time...oh wait...
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:57 pm

Anyhow, away from all the bollocks; the main reason Petrov didn't play is because he was either injured or coming back from injury to compete for the spot with Robbie & Bellamy. IF he stays fit & contributes like he has been doing recently, I recon we'll give him a new deal.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby KinkyKinkladze » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:00 pm

I never really got why people (Petrov too) thought Hughes didn't fancy him. He played pretty much every game for Hughes until he got injured with Bulgaria. When he came back, Hughes used him lightly so as to not aggravate his very dodgy end of career knee. Then this season, he uses him a few times, but every time Petrov scored, he chose to be a dick and flaunt it in the manager's face by holding his shirt up to him. Every time. Hughes was picking him, but in something like every 1 of 2/3 games. He was rotating a player who tires out easily and is probably one knock away from retirement.

It always felt like Hughes was trying to protect Petrov to get more out of him as his career went on. But Petrov acted like a child and this in turn did him no favours and left with Hughes getting pissed off with his attitude.

It's not like Petrov was hung out to dry. It always screamed of the boss protecting him.

I'm probably wrong on that, but I've always felt this judgement regarding Hughes and Petrov has always been grossly unfair.
KinkyKinkladze
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Lev Bronstein » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:36 pm

I think that we're going to have to face a few sad facts. In the years to come we are going to be building a squad that'll be challenging for the CL. So whoever the manager is some hard to swallow decisions will have to be made.

Sad fact no.1: in a couple of years time popular players such as Petrov, and maybe the likes of Ned, SWP and Stevie might be replaced or, at least pushed down the pecking order, by players more suited to the higher level that we aspire to.

Sad fact no.2: those players coming through the academy will have to be of a higher standard if they are to make the first team.

Hopefully, those who are pushed aside will accept their new status as squad players and still give good value when called upon.

Hopefully, the academy will up it's game and continue to produce quality players for the club. Also, hopefully, it will be realised that the best for the future will be a steady stream of home grown players to provide a solid core for the squad who are committed to the club (Barca seem to be good at this).

Either way, expect a departure of much loved players who are good - but not good enough.
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:45 pm

Lev Bronstein wrote:I think that we're going to have to face a few sad facts. In the years to come we are going to be building a squad that'll be challenging for the CL. So whoever the manager is some hard to swallow decisions will have to be made.

Sad fact no.1: in a couple of years time popular players such as Petrov, and maybe the likes of Ned, SWP and Stevie might be replaced or, at least pushed down the pecking order, by players more suited to the higher level that we aspire to.

Sad fact no.2: those players coming through the academy will have to be of a higher standard if they are to make the first team.

Hopefully, those who are pushed aside will accept their new status as squad players and still give good value when called upon.

Hopefully, the academy will up it's game and continue to produce quality players for the club. Also, hopefully, it will be realised that the best for the future will be a steady stream of home grown players to provide a solid core for the squad who are committed to the club (Barca seem to be good at this).

Either way, expect a departure of much loved players who are good - but not good enough.

Agree totally with this & also Kinky's post above but I do feel Petrov is worth a new deal if fit, whatever level we're at. The goal he scored v Barca in the DP Gumby cup or whatever it was, is the kind of thing he could do in the Chump's league.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum