Robinho - what does the future hold?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Robinho - what does the future hold?

Postby mr_nool » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:42 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
razor400 wrote:I can see a swap deal in the summer, Robbie off to Barca and Zlatan coming here. Mystic Raz has spoken (or typed coz I don't talk out loud when I'm typing)

mmmmmmmmmmmm Strongbow

On a very egotistical notion, I'd hate to see Zlatan playing for City. I enjoy being one of very few Swedes with this obsession, and wasn't very happy seeing Sven here. Zlatan is HUGHE in Sweden and barca have around 9 million more fans this season than they had last.

That said, I think he'd be a real improvement on both RSC and Adebayor.

I don't. Great big Swedish pansy.

You don't what? Hate to see him playing for City, or think that he'd be an improvement on Santa and Ade?
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:46 pm

zuricity wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
zuricity wrote:Why single Robinho out for analysis . Every F*ckin' week ? There must be loads of threads about Robbie. Give it a rest. It's a team game and a Squad that gets involved.

In reality it's a team plus Robinho game. For everyone else it's a team game.

No It's not and stop thinking like that.

It's a team game and a squad is available for selection. One of them is Robinho, just like one of them is Ireland or Zabaleta or Barry. Every week some thread gets started about Robbi , discuss this , discuss that. Why not one about Barry , Toure, Lescott, Bridge ( every week i mean !) , all under performing.

We have had lots of threads about different players but Robbie is an enigma & one of our most expensive players. He's also someone who works mainly outside the team unit & requires others to fill in for him in certain areas when he plays. If there had been internet forums in the past Marsh & Kinkladze wouls have been similar topics, although both were a class above him imo.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:18 pm

mr_nool wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
mr_nool wrote:
razor400 wrote:I can see a swap deal in the summer, Robbie off to Barca and Zlatan coming here. Mystic Raz has spoken (or typed coz I don't talk out loud when I'm typing)

mmmmmmmmmmmm Strongbow

On a very egotistical notion, I'd hate to see Zlatan playing for City. I enjoy being one of very few Swedes with this obsession, and wasn't very happy seeing Sven here. Zlatan is HUGHE in Sweden and barca have around 9 million more fans this season than they had last.

That said, I think he'd be a real improvement on both RSC and Adebayor.

I don't. Great big Swedish pansy.

You don't what? Hate to see him playing for City, or think that he'd be an improvement on Santa and Ade?

;-)

I'd have to see him in the PL before judging tbh. It is so much different to other leagues I think it's hard to say who'd be a success & who wouldn't. There's always a certain amount of guesswork involved beforehand.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby zuricity » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:18 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
zuricity wrote:Why single Robinho out for analysis . Every F*ckin' week ? There must be loads of threads about Robbie. Give it a rest. It's a team game and a Squad that gets involved.

It's a team game and a squad is available for selection. One of them is Robinho, just like one of them is Ireland or Zabaleta or Barry. Every week some thread gets started about Robbi , discuss this , discuss that. Why not one about Barry , Toure, Lescott, Bridge ( every week i mean !) , all under performing.

We have had lots of threads about different players but Robbie is an enigma & one of our most expensive players. He's also someone who works mainly outside the team unit & requires others to fill in for him in certain areas when he plays. If there had been internet forums in the past Marsh & Kinkladze wouls have been similar topics, although both were a class above him imo.

I had the (dis-) pleasure of watching Marsh being signed and introduced into a very stable team by Allison when City should have won the league without him. Instead we came runners up to Derby. Although Marsh scored an absolutely brilliant goal and one of the best i've ever seen against Derby that last game at home.

However, even Marsh doesn't compare to Robinho. Robinho is much better, faster and more of a team player than Marsh ever was. Marsh disappeared more times than Harry Houdini

Is he an enigma ? I don't think so. He played very well last season for City with some pretty average players around him. I happen to think that against Chelsea this season for example, he did what great players do, he drew defenders to him, he needed marking by more than one defender , freeing up space for others, in particular Adebayor, who seemed not to want to play that day. Sure he's not scoring ,but he hasn't really played for three months has he ?
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:28 pm

zuricity wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

I had the (dis-) pleasure of watching Marsh being signed and introduced into a very stable team by Allison when City should have won the league without him. Instead we came runners up to Derby. Although Marsh scored an absolutely brilliant goal and one of the best i've ever seen against Derby that last game at home.

However, even Marsh doesn't compare to Robinho. Robinho is much better, faster and more of a team player than Marsh ever was. Marsh disappeared more times than Harry Houdini

Is he an enigma ? I don't think so. He played very well last season for City with some pretty average players around him. I happen to think that against Chelsea this season for example, he did what great players do, he drew defenders to him, he needed marking by more than one defender , freeing up space for others, in particular Adebayor, who seemed not to want to play that day. Sure he's not scoring ,but he hasn't really played for three months has he ?

Can't agree about Marsh. Season we sacked him he was up to that point our best player in a side containing Colin Bell. Doubt if thousands would protest outside the ground if we sold Robinho but they did for Marsh, I was there.

I love watching Robinho but re your argument for the Chelsea game; Giggs wouldn't just draw players to him, or Ronaldinho from 2 years ago, or Gazza, or even Rodney or Gio. They do stuff. Don't get me wrong, I think Robbie will but we need more of it. He isn't a team player he's a special case & will invite debate, just as Marsh is doing now even after all these years.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby zuricity » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:32 pm

Seems like we agree to disagree on this one. Time will tell....
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Ted Hughes » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:38 pm

zuricity wrote:Seems like we agree to disagree on this one. Time will tell....

I'm saying I think he will do well, not that he won't.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Bojinov's left foot » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:43 pm

I enjoy contributing and reading on this forum City fans thoughts on our team, our players and our Club. If I wish to talk about one player in particular I reserve the right to, on this occasion it happens to be Robinho.

I did say 'potentially one of the best players in the world'. He has to deliver consistently to be thought of as one of the world's best and I am more than happy for him to prove that at City.
Bojinov's left foot
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Crossie » Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:00 pm

Robinho just need abit of love and a goal, then the floodgates will open again.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby Wooders » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:40 am

he needs to pull his socks up imo - he has a decentish start to his career here, even though 15 goals last season doesn't tell the whole story and even the most ardent robinho fan will (hopefully) cop to that.... I give him the injury plagued start to this season and won't read too much into his woeful Stoke performance
however
We've all seen how good he can be (15 goals) but to say he is key to our success is massively underestimating our owner and management team to be frank, we're in a luxury position where it is entirely possible that even a player like Robinho needs us more than we need him at this moment
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Colin the King » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:21 am

Robinho has certain qualities- he has excellent awareness of what's around him, the eye for a pass that only an elite few were born with, his movement can indirectly cause havoc because the opposition are so keen to close him down that it opens acres of space for our other attackers to work in. When these things come together in a game it's a real spectacle and can result in us scoring freely (most notably Hull and Portsmouth last season).

The problem is that when they don't come together you're left with a liability- a luxury that you can ill-afford in the Premier League. Look at the players at the very top, those who have proven themselves as 'world class'- Messi, Ronaldo, Kaká, Villa, Torres, Henry. They have what Robinho has but add to it with determination and consistency. They have done and continue to score upwards of 20 goals a season and that's a reward for always being in the frame of mind to score and create- not sometimes.

The 'wet Tuesday night in Stoke' line is a cliché that's overused but in Robinho's case it's relevant. I think it's telling that when defending his away form last season, people say 'what about Everton'. What about it? There are 19 away league games in a season and people are constantly referring to ONE where he played at his level. Forget the world class players I mentioned before- even in our own squad, Bellamy and Tevez are the better players because in my opinion, it's not what you're capable of doing- it's what you DO. Their productivity is week in, week out and if it's not scoring, it's creating, if it's not creating, it's working within the team unit to secure a result.

He has an opportunity now to start afresh with Mancini and maybe his coaching style will bring the best out of him. Maybe he'll manage to adapt and deliver consistently- my fear, though, is that just as before- we'll see glimpses of sheer brilliance but just as much lethargy and half-heartedness.
Colin the King
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby zuricity » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:51 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
zuricity wrote:Seems like we agree to disagree on this one. Time will tell....

I'm saying I think he will do well, not that he won't.

I can understand what you were saying. I think we got a little bit distracted from what I was trying to say ,which is that pretty much every week there is a new thread created to discuss the apparent enigma that Robinho is. I can't think of any player that gets discussed as much as him, almost all season long, even though he's missed most of it through injury.

That's all really , the same old acorn, we don't apply this much effort to Given or Barry for example .
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:08 am

These Robinho topics reminds me off thousands of threads we used to have about Anelka. Some people simply loved to hate him. There were topics like 'Anelka is a tosser' with people moaning that he 'doesn't smile enough' and 'we should try Fowler and Macken up front instead of him'.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby john@staustell » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:08 am

Svensational wrote:I like Robinho and always have done. I just cant come to hate him even when he plays shit! I really hope he knuckles down and gets back to his best pretty quick, hopefully tomorrow against Blackburn, thats if he plays ahead of Bellamy unless he leaves Petrov out and plays both Bellamy and Robinho.

I reckon Santa Cruz is due back in the mix Monday.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Vhero » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:51 am

Whats the future hold? Maybe a thread on here every sinlge week about whether we should keep the player or not?? I for one am sick of seeing a thread about Robinho every fucking week or so. Will people just give the guy a break? Your worse than the press...
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:16 am

Svensational wrote:I like Robinho and always have done. I just cant come to hate him even when he plays shit! I really hope he knuckles down and gets back to his best pretty quick, hopefully tomorrow against Blackburn, thats if he plays ahead of Bellamy unless he leaves Petrov out and plays both Bellamy and Robinho.

Pitch may be a bit hard if the temperature drops below what the undersoil heating can handle & with Bellamy's dodgy knees it may be a good idea to leave him out.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby peg-6 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:48 pm

He just came back from the injury. I can see he is still overweight and isn't fit. But his condition will improve soon because the world cup is coming. I think he will play a big part at City this year, and keep going to the world cup.
peg-6
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Nick » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:55 pm

I also thought he looked overweight vs. stoke! Slight belly, glad its not just me. Need to get him match fit.

He was out last night with Jo by the way. So Jo has come back from Brazil then.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum