Will there be a World Cup Winner at City?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Will there be a World Cup Winner at City?

Postby 13021J » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 am

The Man In Blue wrote:the real candidates from that list are England, Netherlands, Brazil, Argentina and Ivory Coast.

Ha! Have you seen England in a major tournament mate?! With Cappello I think we have our best chance in years, but the players just can't hack it I'm afraid.

I fancy Brazil, they have a mean streak about them these days but then have the likes of Kaka to add real class and incision.

Although I have backed Serbia at 80/1, hoping they qualify from their group so I can lay them off. Same with Ivory Coast at 29/1.
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Tevez

Postby Lev Bronstein » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:04 am

Doesn't fit the criteria of the OP, but Alan Ball (Lev surrounds himself with sandbags)

Was Anelka in the France WC squad?
"You sir, will either be hung as a traitor or die of the pox"
"That sir, depends on whether I embrace your principles or your mistress"
Lev Bronstein
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:14 am

13021J wrote:
The Man In Blue wrote:the real candidates from that list are England, Netherlands, Brazil, Argentina and Ivory Coast.

Ha! Have you seen England in a major tournament mate?! With Cappello I think we have our best chance in years, but the players just can't hack it I'm afraid.

I fancy Brazil, they have a mean streak about them these days but then have the likes of Kaka to add real class and incision.

Although I have backed Serbia at 80/1, hoping they qualify from their group so I can lay them off. Same with Ivory Coast at 29/1.

Like you say ,the reason we do have a chance is because, for the first time since Sir Alf we actually have a manager who's in charge of the players rather than just trying to persuade them. I wouldn't swap the squad for most in the tournament though. 1 or 2 players yes but apart from a World class striker, that's a hell of a squad/team.

Holland if they tightened up a bit would take some stopping as would Argentina if they shot Maradona.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby 13021J » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:30 am

I disagree, I think Terry is too slow to cope with the likes of Torres, Anelka etc, Rio is class but looks like he is crocked, we have no proven right back, keeper, genuine left winger or anyone world class to play with Rooney.

Only Cashley, an un-injured Ferdinand, Gerrard and Rooney would be irreplaceable IMO

After all these years watching City its no surprise Im a pessimist!!
13021J
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

My favourite player is: Tevez

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:39 pm

If we get Chiellini then we will have a World Cup winner at City this summer, as Italy is going to win it for the second time in a row. Mark my words. ;)

Seriously though, England has always let their fans down in the tournaments (well almost always), Argentina with Maradona in charge won't go far, so Brazil and Holland are our best shots, considering the current squad. Ivory Coast has some great players like the Tourè brothers, Drogba, Kalou, Ebouè, and Romaric in midfield doesn't look bad too, but imho they lack a world class keeper to be really in the mix for the final victory. (on a side note, in FM I managed Ivory Coast in the 2010 World Cup and got to the final where I lost to Russia!!)
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Vhero » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:44 pm

We will probably buy a world cup winner in Summer.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Fidel Castro » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:47 pm

Not unless we sign a Spanish international
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Postby Alex Sapphire » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:54 pm

we've already got one
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby CTID Hants » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:33 pm

Vhero wrote:We will probably buy a world cup winner in Summer.

I have to agree with NQDP, Players who win World Cup tend to go missing in the league the following season.

On a side note, i must admit i hadn't realised how much Vieira had won at club and international level, so pleased about him being in our squad.

As for Anelka someone asked if he'd been World Cup winner, he was out of favour for somwhere like six years and that was after they won in 98 (Anelka being to young in 98, he was still playing youth)
Born A Blue

CTID Hants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Postby dazlebluefrog » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:03 pm

Alex Sapphire wrote:we've already got one

you thinking about Garrido mate?? i think maybe could force his way into the spainish squad
dazlebluefrog
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Grenoble fc38

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum