Who Was Your Favourite City Player As A Kid?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Who Was Your Favourite City Player As A Kid?

Postby rick1894citizen » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:55 am

Quinn when i was really young but first proper idol (as didn't start going till 98) was the likes of Goater, Weaver, Horlock,Morrison and Cooke whilst we were in 2nd and then Berkovich, Benarbia and Kennedy.

Now would be the likes of Beller's, Tevez, Superman and SWP.
rick1894citizen
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Bear60 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:21 pm

Colin Bell, Franny Lee, Mike Summerbee and Rodney Marsh.
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Beefymcfc » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:22 pm

King Kev wrote:I always fancied myself as a 'keeper and Joe Corrigan was my idol.

I had a green goalie top and got my mum to sew a strip of fabric on the back as a number 1. I would then ask anybody and everybody to take shots on me in the back garden using the swing frame as a goal.

In my memory Big Joe was invincible and at least 8 foot tall!

Same here mate. Got to meet Joe at Droylsden Supports Club when I was a Bin Lid and if I remember right, he was actually 9 ft 2. And then, I was lucky enough to have a full on man-to-man conversation with him this year where we talked about all things City and our life stories (where you been, what you donesort of thing). Still very much in awe of him, and he said that of me.

And yes, he has shrunk a bit over the years but is still about 8 ft 11..........................I think ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Dipstick » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:57 pm

Loved Bert Trautmann but David Wagstaffe was my favourite as a kid - he moved from the reserve team to the first team at about the same time mum started to let us go to first team matches as well as reserve matches. He was a tricky winger and thought to be a great prospect. Unfortunately he was seen as our best asset and had to go when the debts starting piling up after we didn't immediately bounce up again after relegation.

After he left it was Neil Young ('cos he lived just around the corner), until Colin Bell arrived. After that Marsh, Tueart, Kinkladze, Benarbia and Goater have challenged my allegiance but Colin is the King.
"People say I'm egocentric, but enough about them." Lily Allen
Dipstick
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchster CIty
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby tony macaroni » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:02 pm

70's Franny lee

I was gutted when he was sold to Derby and pissed off when he won the league with them.

80s was trevor francis,

but he was not there for long. Special mention for Imre Varadi.

90s Georgi Kinklazde

Was there anyone else. Special mention for Jamie Pollock best own goal of all time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAc8JooS3MY

2000s Shaun Goater

Yes he was there in the late 90s, but he scored his 100th and helped us beat the rags for the first time for years in 2000s

2010 Carlos Tevez (I hope)

work in progress
tony macaroni
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Supporter of: man city
My favourite player is: sweep

Postby Kladze » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:03 pm

Wagstaffe was my idol too - was heartbroken when he was sold.

Rodney Marsh was the one though, the one I tried to model my own game on. And, in retrospect, he seems perfect for the kind of player I was - talented, creative, but bone idle :-D
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Original Dub » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:06 pm

Quinn.

Have a couple of photos with him now as well after i met him at a charity bash. Fooooookin seriously tal in the flesh and it wasn't the biggest confidence builder standing next to him, but what really nice bloke. Very polite and more than willing to chat away on all things football.

I asked him what he thought of the takeover and he just said "Well the thing I always loved the best about City was the fact that it is the ultimate people's club. A real family club and I'd hate to see its soul taken because of the money".

Oh, BTW - that was after the Takshin takeover!!
Original Dub

Postby bobadji » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:08 pm

Rosler. Always prefered him to Quinn for no real reason.
bobadji
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ned

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:10 pm

Tommy caton when I was very young, then Jim Tolmie and Paul Stewart. Of course Kinky however........... all time fave is between Kinky, Ali B, SWP and Dunne overall
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:13 pm

tony macaroni wrote:70's Franny lee

I was gutted when he was sold to Derby and pissed off when he won the league with them.

80s was trevor francis,

90s Georgi Kinklazde

Was there anyone else. Special mention for Jamie Pollock best own goal of all time http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAc8JooS3MY

2000s Shaun Goater

Yes he was there in the late 90s, but he scored his 100th and helped us beat the rags for the first time for years in 2000s

work in progress

Some people never grow up.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Original Dub » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:18 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
tony macaroni wrote:70's Franny lee

80s was trevor francis,

90s Georgi Kinklazde

2000s Shaun Goater

work in progress

Some people never grow up.

Haha brilliant.
Original Dub

Postby The Foggy Blue » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:04 pm

Quininho

It simply has to be him. Number 1 reason that I started supporting City as a young lad so for that I will be eternally grateful. Honourable mentions to Uwe Rosler, Paul Walsh (!) and Kinky.
The Foggy Blue
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:06 pm

As a kid my big favourite was Dave Watson. I was absolutely gutted when he went to Werder (was it? - I blotted it out, y'see).

But many of the late 70s team would have been on a similar footing for me. Peter Barnes, Asa Hartford, Willie Donachie, Dennis Tueart, yeah. Trevor Francis was a bit special.

I also loved any youth team player making the first team, with lads like Dave Bennett, Paul Power, Tommy Caton and Clive Wilson being slightly later heroes of mine.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby bluesbrother » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:13 pm

Colin Bell. He would have walked into any City team
I never felt more like singing the blues
bluesbrother
Carlo Nash's Debut

Postby mcfc/wire » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:25 pm

Tommy Caton ( r.i.p) and Steve McKenzie . Loved T.C. gutted when he went to the Arse .
mcfc/wire
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Tommy Caton

Postby Blue in the face » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:34 pm

Franny Lee. Don't remember why apart from the goals probably. Why didn't you ask this question 40 years ago?
Blue in the face
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby lythamblue » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:38 pm

Franny Lee ..... no contest.

Worshiped the geyser ...... poster all over the bedroom.

After him Rodney Marsh and then Dennis Tueart 'King of all Geordies'.

In fact, I even bought the 'Dennis Tueart Bar' sign at the Main Rd closing down auction ...... just for old times sake.
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby mr_nool » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Quinn for me.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby ruralblue » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:48 pm

David White and Paul Stewart. Then Lakey, Kinky, The Goat and now Bellers and Tevez float my boat. I don't intend on ever growing up.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:30 pm

It was Bobby Johnstone, the little inside-forward in the mid 1950s. I noticed him in a match under floodlights against Blackpool at Maine Road at a time when the only City player whose name I knew was Bert Trautmann. But your eye went to Johnstone because he had both skill and speed. He dazzled you. After I saw him a couple of times I started reading newspaper reports of football matches and there were two players in Manchester then for whom the reporters had a kind of awe, Duncan Edwards of United (you didn't write it with **** in the middle in those days) and Bobby Johnstone. Eric Todd of the Manchester Guardian and a reporter called Don Davies who used the name "Old International" (I think he died in the Munich disaster) were especially good on Johnstone, almost poetic in their prose at times, or perhaps I mean rhapsodic. He played more games for both Hibernian and for Oldham than he did for MCFC, but while he was in sky blue he became the first man to score in two consecutive Cup Finals and I've only seen a couple of City players since who could do what he could do on a football field.
(Hey,I posted this once and it doesn't let you write the word u - n - i- t - e- d out in full, it put the asterisks in. Sod that,if I want to write the word in full I should be able to.) Anyway, Bobby Johnstone was the best City player I ever saw, though Duncan Edwards was even better.
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum