Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres (merged)

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Scouse 1 Failure our fortune?

Postby Florida Blue » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:52 am

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=723236&sec=transfers&cc=5901

Rafael Benitez has admitted Liverpool could consider an offer for Fernando Torres if they fail to qualify for next season's Champions League.

Fernando Torres

GettyImages

Torres could be sold if Liverpool fail to reach the Champions League

Liverpool's financial issues have been well documented and it has been suggested that Benitez will only be given a small percentage of the funds raised from selling his fringe players this month.

Nonetheless, Benitez had previously been adamant that Torres would not be sold under any circumstances, saying earlier in the season that he was "not for sale at any price" and that he would leave the club if forced to sell his star striker.

However, with Liverpool's hopes of finishing in the top four still in some doubt, the Spaniard has admitted that - should they fail to reach their target - they would have to consider allowing Torres to leave if Manchester City came in with a £100 million offer.

When initially asked about the situation, Benitez said: "At the moment we have to do the best for the club - and the best for the club is trying to improve the squad."

Pressed further, though, he added: "We would have conversations if we had to decide about this. Finishing in the top four is the key to keeping everyone together."
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Re: Scouse 1 Failure our fortune?

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:34 am

As much as I like Torres and would love him here, £100m seem a lot to me even for him. And we have other positions to strenghten in the summer before we go for another striker. Could you imagine a strike force of Torres, Tevez, Ade, Robinho, Bellamy, RSC? Would be hard to keep everyone happy, I think.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby mcfc1632 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:23 am

Lets just recognise where the power lies - it is (as always) with those with the dosh

When someone is on their uppers and need to sell their key assets - they do not dictate the price - they have to take what the market offers - about £50m would do it I think
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john@staustell » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:37 am

mcfc1632 wrote:Lets just recognise where the power lies - it is (as always) with those with the dosh

When someone is on their uppers and need to sell their key assets - they do not dictate the price - they have to take what the market offers - about £50m would do it I think

I reckon you're right 1632. They cant be asking for £100M when they're broke. However they have sold Dossena (£5M) and Voronin (2 and 6) so they should be able to pay the wages until summer!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Re: Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:15 am

Sister of fu wrote:
LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:This question is becoming tedious now.

And without wanting to sound like a dick, I assume people who wouldn't have Gerrard know fuck all about football. One of the greatest midfielders the Prem had ever seen and you wouldn't have him? Fucking madness.

I was thinking this too. People turning their noses up at Stevie Gerrard are you mad. IMO he would walk into our midfield and any other in the prem. Now he is a world class player.

The question is not if he's good enough though, as he clearly is. The question is, would he give his best for us? Because if he didn't, then we'd end spending a fortune on someone who doesn't perform.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Re: Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres (merged)

Postby avoidconfusion » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:38 am

I don't think Gerrard will ever leave Liverpool.

Torres... that one is interesting... would he go to Real Madrid even though he played most of his career at Atletico, Real's rivals?
Would he go to Barcelona, although the cities of Madrid and Barcelona are also fierce rivals?

And would he go to City after slagging us off so publicly?

I don't know...
so now as every enemy circles our city
sour and sore, we swear war
avoidconfusion

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Mad Zabba

Re: Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres

Postby 9secondlegend » Mon Jan 11, 2010 9:55 am

simon12 wrote:Torres yes stevie ggggeeeeee no thanks. We`ve got Mickey JJJaaayyy to come back.

i cant believe people are thinking johnson is as good as gerrard!
9secondlegend

Supporter of: mcfc

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum