Training Sunday 10/1

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Training Sunday 10/1

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:44 pm

I am sure it's getting warmer :) Out they came at 1pm today the reserves first , then keepers and then the rest. Tough for the reserves as they only get a small area to work in on the far side of the underesoil heated pitch but they can do all sorts of routines and plenty of 5 a side stuff.

The first team squad were still missing Ireland/Bridge and Lescott but RSC was there today and also with the group were Boyata,Ibrahim and Weiss. Initial time was spent with Mancini leading the team around the field either with the ball in hand or passing it around to other coaches to get the team moving together. Clearly something he repeats to get it firmly into the heads about shape and moving as a team. Then a little playing in twos and threes to warm up a little more before they switched into 8 a side with 4 small nets set up. Tevez stayed out of this and just did some gentle work with 1 of the coaches.

After this half of the group went off to work on some touch routines whilst what I assume is tomorrow's team stayed on the main pitch to work exclusively with Mancini. Again a lot on movements and shape as the ball was switched around but also with the attacking players on their movements when we win the ball back and how the midfield should support the front players.Somehow I just forget what that team was but I might remember just in time to post before the match tomorrow :)

After a while of this a bunch of new players were brought in to go through some of the same things for a short while.Then Mancini brought in some of the reserves as he wanted them to provide the attacking threat so they could work on corners and free kicks. Not too many and mostly on the defensive roles for the players. Mancini personally speaking with players about the positions he wanted them in. A couple of funny moment in this were where Robinho took a free kick and hit it long over everyone's head.Mancini shouted across to ask if he was actually Brazilian!

Another cross which went too far was crossed back in for Micah to score what should have been a very easy goal but he hit Shay Given who was trying to get out of the way of the 4 yard attempt. Shay gave him a right mouthful , all in good fun.

As usual they finished with a number of them doing free kick and finishing practice. Garrido and Petrov doing free kicks on one side with weiss and Bellers on the other.The best today was Petrov with Garrido slightly off for a change. RSC,Vinnie and Micah ( yes Micah) were doing some finishing work and not surprisingly RSC was the best. Micah managed to hit the mannequins which actually stoppoed the ball going towards the corner flag!

Brian Kidd was collecting balls from the end I was at and asked me if I had heard anything on the radio about the match being on tomorrow. That suggests the decision isn't fully in the clubs hands.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Re: Training Sunday 10/1

Postby Cityfan » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks again for the posts, as a matter of interest does Vieria look fully fit. ? There seem to be some questions over his fitness. Does Kidd have much to do with taking the training or is Mancini the main man?
Cityfan
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Postby 1664agreatyear » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:11 pm

cheers doug,
was Patrick Vieira out training or is he injured ?
1664agreatyear
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:22 pm

great read as always Doug, interesting to hear the subtle changes.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Chinners » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:39 pm

Cheers DH
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:56 pm

Sorry I didn't mention but Vieira wasn't there today. Probably indoors being worked on with the other 3. Kidd doesnt directly lead any sessions I have seen but is always there close at hand. He speaks with the odd player at times and with Mancini
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Blue in the face » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:27 pm

Great report Doug. You need a medal to pin onto that puffer jacket.
Blue in the face
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby ruralblue » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:50 pm

This is why your a LEGEND Doug. It's been a cold day out there, hope you didn't lick your step ladders.
I haven't a fecking clue what I'm doing! Gillie come back man I want my sig back. As the Photobucket thingy gone?
ruralblue
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Supporter of: MANCHESTER CITY
My favourite player is: KOMPANY / SILVA

Postby john68 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:13 pm

It is interesting that Mancini is working so hard on the team as a UNIT. Moving together and keeping their shape. I have always thought that it is TEAMS (and all that implies) that win trophies and not groups of individuals. He seems keen to ensure we are a operating as cogs unified as one effective machine.
It is going to interesting to watch for this when we play Blackburn.
As always Doug...Thanks for the report.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:31 pm

One of the interesting things for me is that Mancini does this bit moving around the pitch with the whole team sort of moving in unison with him albiet in their respective positons compared to where he is. It is all about team and working together and shape.It's not new to what I hacve seen before but it's being done differently and with a lot more emphasis. And of course it's being done by Mancini himself.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Trautmann » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:51 am

Tevez looked like he was nursing an ankle towards the end of the last game. Doug's report mentions him getting a gentle" workout. Hope he is ok.
Trautmann
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Superman's Underpants

Postby john@staustell » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:42 am

Trautmann wrote:Tevez looked like he was nursing an ankle towards the end of the last game. Doug's report mentions him getting a gentle" workout. Hope he is ok.

He got kicked on the achilles from behind by Wheater or someone didn't he? My guess on that is if it was a problem he wouldn't be training, just resting it. They probably give him a gentle workout to stop him going berserk just before a match and running 50 miles flat out in training!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:31 am

john@staustell wrote:
Trautmann wrote:Tevez looked like he was nursing an ankle towards the end of the last game. Doug's report mentions him getting a gentle" workout. Hope he is ok.

He got kicked on the achilles from behind by Wheater or someone didn't he? My guess on that is if it was a problem he wouldn't be training, just resting it. They probably give him a gentle workout to stop him going berserk just before a match and running 50 miles flat out in training!

That sounds about right John.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby AlpsMaster » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:35 pm

Thanks Doug. Always appreciated.
AlpsMaster
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Return to The Maine Football forum