Martin gives insight on Mancini's methods

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Martin gives insight on Mancini's methods

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:56 pm

Roberto Mancini's methods, which have brought three wins as well as three clean sheets, have won the approval of Martin Petrov.

The Bulgarian winger has started all three games under the manager, scoring once and setting up Benjani's winner at Middlesbrough.

All three games have also seen Mancini change City's line-up and tactics as he sees fit, and according to Petrov, who has stressed his desire to remain City beyond the end of his contract this summer, the players know their roles exactly and are enjoying what he is asking them to do.

"Before the game against Stoke we did a lot of tactical work," he revealed. "We knew we could play better and we needed to work hard to achieve that.

"I think everyone now knows they must work on the pitch and knows exactly what the manager wants from them. I think because of that the team is getting better and better

"It is very clear what each individual must do under this manager and I think that’s normal, because he comes from Italy. Everyone knows what it is in Italy with the tactical stuff. It's good for the players, if you play with everyone helping each other that has to be good for the team. We know we have a very good squad with big players but if you don’t play like a team on the pitch then you can’t win.

"I think the United game being called off was a good thing for the team because we have too many games, having this week off is maybe good for the body. We have a lot of injured players and now we can concentrate on the game against Blackburn on Monday."

Mancini could be seen directing his players back into defence even at three goals up in stoppage time at Molineux, and Petrov says that this emphasis on keeping it tight is as strong with the forwards as it is with the back four.

"We all have to get back and defend - me, Robinho, Tevez - everyone," he stressed. "You know if you play you have to do that. We know when we go forward we have quality but we also know that we have to get behind the ball at other times because if you’re not strong defensively, you know 100% that you’ll have a problem. We’re working very hard on that."

The news that City's squad has been bolstered by the arrival of Patrick Vieira has also met with Martin's approval, and he added:

"Look, another big name, with his quality, and he has played in the Premier League before. What can I say? Everyone knows what Patrick Vieira can do for the team."

from mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Martin gives insight on Mancini's methods

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:03 pm

"We all have to get back and defend - me, Robinho, Tevez - everyone," he stressed. "You know if you play you have to do that. We know when we go forward we have quality but we also know that we have to get behind the ball at other times because if you’re not strong defensively, you know 100% that you’ll have a problem. We’re working very hard on that."

No doubt they are working hard on it and in a different way than before but it's not exactly new is it! The question is more about whether they do it now and if they don't what will happen.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby ant london » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:10 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:"We all have to get back and defend - me, Robinho, Tevez - everyone," he stressed. "You know if you play you have to do that. We know when we go forward we have quality but we also know that we have to get behind the ball at other times because if you’re not strong defensively, you know 100% that you’ll have a problem. We’re working very hard on that."

No doubt they are working hard on it and in a different way than before but it's not exactly new is it! The question is more about whether they do it now and if they don't what will happen.

It tickled the way that he lumped together himself and fellow dilletente and devensively workshy Robinho with the one (of two) striker(s) who could never be ever accused of not getting back and getting stuck in?!??!
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby BobKowalski » Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:46 pm

ant london wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:"We all have to get back and defend - me, Robinho, Tevez - everyone," he stressed. "You know if you play you have to do that. We know when we go forward we have quality but we also know that we have to get behind the ball at other times because if you’re not strong defensively, you know 100% that you’ll have a problem. We’re working very hard on that."

It tickled the way that he lumped together himself and fellow dilletente and devensively workshy Robinho with the one (of two) striker(s) who could never be ever accused of not getting back and getting stuck in?!??!

Yeah I bet Tevez will have a 'WTF?' moment on reading this over his morning cornflakes...and is it me or has Martin had more to say for himself in the last week or so then he has in the last couple of years? I love Petrov so its not a complaint just never struck me as the talkative type.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:27 pm

I cannot believe he never knew what his job was before? Kick the ball martin, there's a good lad.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Kladze » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:32 pm

Gets three starts under new manger / loves new manager's methods / how surprising ;-)
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Return to The Maine Football forum