Is this the future superstar we've been looking for?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Is this the future superstar we've been looking for?

Postby JB » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:37 pm

Blog home Introducing La Liga's next big superstar ... Racing Santander's Sergio Canales: He's technically gifted, good-looking and, after two goals against Sevilla, the 18-year-old 'marvel' has the Spanish drooling

Racing Santander's midfielder Sergio Canales celebrates after scoring his second goal against Sevilla Photograph: CRISTINA QUICLER/AFP/Getty Images

Saturday afternoon in Islington and Everton's Steven Pienaar is scooping the ball expertly, delicately over Arsenal goalkeeper Manuel Almunia and into the net. A thousand miles away, a slight, pale teenager in a black tracksuit with green trim, RACING emblazoned across his chest, watches it on Television Española from his hotel room at the NH Convenciones in Sevilla. The commentator takes a deep breath and emits a long, drawn out ¡gooooooool! He pauses. ¡Gol! ¡Gol! ¡Gol! ¡Gol! It is, he says, a golazo, a great goal. "Brilliant," says his co-commentator. And the teenager agrees; it is. But he can't help thinking that he could do better.

So he does.

The final whistle goes in north London. Sergio Canales Madrazo pulls the card from that little slot by the door, leaves his room, hops on a bus, travels three kilometres and alights at the Sánchez Pizjuán. As he goes through the metal gate into the stadium, he looks up at the tiled mosaic on the façade with its carefully reproduced Arsenal shield, like some kind of premonition, continues beyond the cracked wooden doors of the dressing room and slowly pulls on his kit. Green and black. Racing de Santander. No27. This week, for only the third time ever, he runs out with the starting eleven; 26 minutes later he runs beyond the Sevilla defence.

He is faced by Andrés Palop but in his mind's eye it is two and a half hours earlier and he's faced by Almunia. "I thought of Pienaar's goal," he admits later. Palop advances and, from the edge of the penalty area, Canales lifts it over him and into the net, the ball travelling higher and further than Pienaar's shot had - the perfect "Vaseline". So smooth, so calm, slipped in so casually. It is a great goal. A golazo. Up in the stands, the fans start to applaud - the Sevilla fans. "He plays as if he was in the hallway of his house," remarks Roberto Palomar, "his heart rate never went over 40bpm." "¡Madre mía!" shouts the radio commentator, "What a goal! What little fear! What coolness! The confidence of this lad is insulting!"

Thirteen minutes later, he's through again. Palop advances once more, not so far this time. Once bitten twice shy. Canales steps past the keeper, pauses, cuts inside, sending Adriano screeching by like a cartoon character off a cliff, and side-foots the ball home. "¡Que bueno que veniste!" shouts the commentator. How nice of you to come! "Has this kid got no shame?!" "Canales dresses up as Maradona," cheers Marca. This time the applause is an ovation; when he is substituted, with Racing enjoying a 2-1 lead they will hold onto, the stadium is on its feet. Soon, everyone's talking about him: he's the personality of the weekend in Sport, AS and Marca. "Suddenly, there's Canales," says El Mundo.

Perhaps not so suddenly. Canales has stood out since he joined Racing at 11; so too, his 15-year-old younger brother, currently playing for local club Albericia. When he was 12, the organisers of a local football competition were petitioned to change the rules in order to hand him the MVP award, so overwhelming was his superiority. At U17 he was a European Champion with Spain; at U18, he was player of the tournament at the Copa Atlántico – an unofficial European Championships. In Cantabria, they've eagerly awaited him; his coaches have long talked about him.

But talk is cheap. Not until Racing Santander sacked coach Juan Carlos Mandiá and replaced him with Miguel-Ángel Portugal did anyone risk playing him and few expected them to: Canales doesn't even appear in the 2009-2010 guide books. Last season, under Juan Ramón López Muñiz, he made six sub appearances, playing just over 100 minutes; this season, Mandiá gave him two chances: 15 minutes against Getafe with the side already 4-1 down and 19 minutes against Zaragoza. Racing trailed 2-0 when Canales came on; they drew 2-2. Yet still he didn't get another chance until Portugal's first game in charge when Racing, down in the relegation zone, faced Madrid at the Santiago Bernabéu.

He should have done. Canales is not the only change Portugal has made (and Racing did beat Xérez without him); but he is the most significant. Where Mandiá turned all Henry VIII, frantically chopping and changing and still not getting the result he wanted, using 25 different players but winning just one in 10, Portugal has brought continuity. Mostly the football hasn't been sparkling but it has been effective. One win in ten under Mandiá has become five wins in six under Portugal; from the relegation zone, they now find themselves 12th.

The defence is settled, the system clear, the mistakes eradicated; they've reduced the huge gaps between defence and midfield and, especially, midfield and attack, where Canales links Gonzalo Colsa and Mehdi Lacen, essentially workers, with a forward they previously only saw in the distance. They pressure high, play with greater intensity and make life difficult for opponents. Even injuries have been kind, Fabio Coltorti replacing Toño – or Coño as his curly-lettered shirt had it – in goal. Above all, though, there is Canales – technically gifted, visionary, ludicrously calm. Against Madrid, he came on and scored a coolly taken equaliser only to have it wrongly disallowed. Against Espanyol, he made his first ever start and scored twice in a 4-0 win. Against Tenerife, his second start, they won 2-0. He's started three times and scored four - as many as Fredi Kanouté, Álvaro Negredo and Giuseppe Rossi, more than Raúl or Kaká.

No wonder they're getting excited - even if Portugal, conscious of Canales' physical limitations, has used him sparingly and as a media-punta without defensive obligations. Team-mate Pedro Pinillos calls him a "monster"; Xisco describes him as a "marvel." This kid, he insists, "is incredible." "It's not often you get to witness the birth of a true star, still less a Spanish one," writes David Gistau, "we should circle the date he made his appearance" His coach says he reminds him of a young Rafa Van der Vaart; others have likened him to Julen Guerreo, the Athletic Bilbao's playmaker whose mania swept the country; some suggest he's like Guti.

But fear not. Because if Canales has Guti's technique he doesn't have his supreme daftness. He should not be an unfulfilled promise like Guti or, hopefully, disappear like Guerrero. Because, as everyone keeps insisting, while many footballers are an empty warehouse with broken windows and a wonky chair, Canales has: "a fully furnished head." Still only 18, outwardly timid, there's a look of early Luke Skywalker about him – a small spattering of spots, floppy blondish hair, slight, a little short to be a stormtrooper. Every day, gaggles of girls hang around Racing's training ground waiting for him but as he passes in his Peugeot 207, off to collect his girlfriend from school, ready for his economics lessons, preparing for his exams, Canales is not for turning. He doesn't have an agent, there's no tattoos, no piercing and not a glob of hair gel. He is, writes Alfredo Matilla, "the son in law everyone mother wants."

In short, he's too good to be true. And when something's too good to be true it's normally because it is too good to be true. Canales' contract is up at the end of the season. Somehow, Racing didn't offer him a new deal until it was too late. In July he can walk away for free. He can already talk to other clubs. Last week, he did; last week, he talked to Sevilla. When Racing fans gave him an ovation, they did so with a heavy heart; when Sevilla fans gave him an ovation, they did so in the hope and the belief that they were witnessing the birth of a superstar. Their star. Sergio Canales is good. Very, very good. Sadly, for Racing Santander he's probably too good to be true.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jan/11/sergio-canales-la-liga-sid-lowe

Worth a punt?
JB
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Neil Young!

Re: Is this the future superstar we've been looking for?

Postby JB » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:43 pm

[youtube]CjN7JcX712E[/youtube]

[youtube]I-j27vpeKTA&feature=related[/youtube]
JB
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

My favourite player is: Neil Young!

Postby Alex Sapphire » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:49 pm

good looking? Now that's important
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:51 pm

Why not. We were all saying we need a creative midfielder to complete the squad, he could be Ireland's understudy while he matures, both physically and in a footballing sense. Make Racing a cheeky bid to have him now, so that they don't lose him for nothing in the summer, or offer him a contract for free.

We can afford some gambles on young promising talents, so let's take them.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Blue in the face » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:51 pm

Lets get the priorities right.

What about his girlfriend?
Blue in the face
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:56 pm

Looks like he has got good feet and pace.

Never heard of him and ive just made a summary off of youtube sooo.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Vhero » Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:08 pm

JB wrote:[youtube]CjN7JcX712E[/youtube]

[youtube]I-j27vpeKTA&feature=related[/youtube]

quality goals and i dunno why but I actually like that kit. I feel like I should hate it.... Now I feel awful....
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Return to The Maine Football forum