Angola rebels claim Togo team was hit by mistake

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Angola rebels claim Togo team was hit by mistake

Postby JamieMCFC » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:47 pm

Rebels behind the deadly attack on Togo’s team bus before the Africa Cup of Nations football tournament today distanced themselves from the incident saying that they had meant to target only the accompanying Angolan security convoy.

Rodrigues Mingas, Secretary General of the Front for the Liberation of the Enclave of Cabinda (Flec), which claimed responsibility for Friday’s machinegun attack, said: "This attack was not aimed at the Togolese players but at the Angolan forces at the head of the convoy.

"So it was pure chance that the gunfire hit the players. We don't have anything to do with the Togolese and we present our condolences to the African families and the Togo Government. We are fighting for the total liberation of Cabinda," he told France 24 television.

The Flec, a faction-riddled movement that has being fighting for independence from Angola for the northerly province of oil-rich Cabinda for over 30 years, previously warned that more attacks could take place, but appears to have had second thoughts after days of negative publicity.

Meanwhile, Angola said today that it had arrested two people suspected of taking part in the attack.

The provincial prosecutor Antonio Nito said in a statement that the two suspects belonged to Flec. Cabinda produces more than 60 per cent of Angola’s daily output of 1.8 million barrels of oil per day.

"The two elements of Flec were captured at the scene of the incident," Mr Nito said in a statement released to news agencies.

Togo's team were brought home by their government yesterday together with the bodies of their assistant coach and media officer to begin three days of mourning.

The bus driver was also killed and the Togolese goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale was stable in hospital in Johannesburg after being operated on for serious gunshot wounds, doctors said.

The Confederation of African Football (CAF) was adamant today that if Togo did not turn up to play their first match in Cabinda, they would forfeit their place.

"They have never officially told us they are not going to play or they are going to play," a senior CAF official told Reuters.
JamieMCFC
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Re: Angola rebels claim Togo team was hit by mistake

Postby carolina-blue » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:00 pm

So it was pure chance that the gunfire hit the players. We don't have anything to do with the Togolese and we present our condolences to the African families and the Togo Government. We are fighting for the total liberation of Cabinda," he told France 24 television.

Oh ok thanks for that then , I am sure that will comfort the families Fukin unreal .
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:37 pm

This is in bad taste, still made me laugh.
"I bet Adebayor didn't run the length of the field to celebrate against THEM gunners."
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby The Man In Blue » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:43 am

"look, we were only trying to kill all them guys that you were with, when we noticed after 20 minutes of shooting we got off"

"ah thats ok then, i'll tell the lads"
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Return to The Maine Football forum