Rating City v Blackburn

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Rating City v Blackburn

Postby mr_nool » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:08 pm

Given 6 - Didn't make any mistakes, but didn't have to make any safes either. Can't be blamed for Blackburns goal.
Zabba 5 - thought he had a really poor first half. Caught in possession, bad passing, just an off day. Slightly better in the second, setting Tevez up for what should've been another goal.
Kompany 6 - Was playing really well together with Micah, but the misstake for the goals brings the score down a point.
Micah 9 - Very good allthough the game. Of course bonus points for that fantastic goal.
Garrido 7 - Stabil performance from the Spaniard.
Barry 7 - Good defensively, but worse when it comes to distribution. Most of the passes go sideways or backwards.
de Jong 8 - Superb game from de Jong again. he wins so much ball!
Bellamy 6 - Alright, but not close to the top form before Christmas. Didn't get involved enough.
Petrov 6 - Likewise. Shabby crosses to boot.
Benjani 7 - Held the ball up well, and created space for Tevez. Many nice flicks and three assists, albeit fluke ones.
Tevez 10 - MOTM. A terrier, but with speed, technique, vision, killer instinct. He was simply world class today.

RSC looked alright when he came on. Robinho really looked to be in the mood as well, and really created som havoc. Great to have options like that from the bench. We're very fortunate.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Re: Rating City v Blackburn

Postby Vhero » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:10 pm

Zabba gotta stop getting those yellow cards for me he gets them nearly every game he plays.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Fidel Castro » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:34 pm

Hard on Zaba there, thought he was very good. Especially the second half, he kept nipping in front of his opponent and setting up attacks. It was due to his work Tevez scored the 4th in case you forgot
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby aaron bond » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:41 pm

Given - 6 - not much to do but good handling and saves when called upon, his kicking is still pretty poor though
Zabaleta - 5 - i love his never say die attitude but think he actually isn't that good, too many rash challenges
Kompany - 7 - silly mistake for the goal but another composed performance at the back for the most part
Richards - 8 - his best game for a while and a magnificent run for the 2nd goal
Garrido - 7 - solid performance again, glad to see him getting some game time
Petrov - 6 - quiet game, wasn't really involved much
Barry - 7 - was comfortable in midfield with De Jong, not really tested much by the opposition
De Jong - 7 - another solid performance from De Jong, him and Barry shaping up well together
Bellamy - 6 - same as Petrov, quiet game by his standards
Benjani - 8 - thought he was excellent, worked hard, grabbed 3 assists and is seizing his opportunity
Tevez - 9 - another MOM performance from this apparently average player

Not much time to mark the subs, but Robbie was looking a lot sharper when he came and was unlucky not to score, RSC and Boyata came on too late to mark but great to see youth being given a chance again.

Overall a good performance from the guys, we were in control of the game and should have had a clean sheet - a silly mistake gifted them a goal. Zabaleta is the biggest concern for me. Too many rash challenges and not enough composure. He needs to improve if he wants to stay here for the long term.
aaron bond
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby ant london » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:41 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:Hard on Zaba there, thought he was very good. Especially the second half, he kept nipping in front of his opponent and setting up attacks. It was due to his work Tevez scored the 4th in case you forgot

I kinda agree with you both

He was excellent tonight apart from that one challenge

BUT his main downside is that he is ALWAYS likely to put in one daft needless challenge like that. Not only did he get booked stupidly but he totally invited pressure onto us which Blackeye Rovers didn't warrant. If they'd scored from that free kick...well we'd still have won but it would have seemed (and been reported as being) much closer/more of a contest than it was

So he's good and bad for me
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Original Dub » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:49 pm

mr_nool wrote:Given 6 - Didn't make any mistakes, but didn't have to make any safes either. Can't be blamed for Blackburns goal.
Zabba 5 - thought he had a really poor first half. Caught in possession, bad passing, just an off day. Slightly better in the second, setting Tevez up for what should've been another goal.
Kompany 6 - Was playing really well together with Micah, but the misstake for the goals brings the score down a point.
Micah 9 - Very good allthough the game. Of course bonus points for that fantastic goal.
Garrido 7 - Stabil performance from the Spaniard.
Barry 7 - Good defensively, but worse when it comes to distribution. Most of the passes go sideways or backwards.
de Jong 8 - Superb game from de Jong again. he wins so much ball!
Bellamy 6 - Alright, but not close to the top form before Christmas. Didn't get involved enough.
Petrov 6 - Likewise. Shabby crosses to boot.
Benjani 7 - Held the ball up well, and created space for Tevez. Many nice flicks and three assists, albeit fluke ones.
Tevez 10 - MOTM. A terrier, but with speed, technique, vision, killer instinct. He was simply world class today.

RSC looked alright when he came on. Robinho really looked to be in the mood as well, and really created som havoc. Great to have options like that from the bench. We're very fortunate.

I'm pretty much with you on this, except for one or two...

I thought Zabba was better than you made out - maybe 7.
I thought Barry was about 8 - his passing was cool and calm and I expect him to pass it back/sideways etc - he takes the sting out of congested play better than anyone else we have and I love that!
I also think Benji got an 8 because he had three assists that if Robinho had gotten would have been praised from the heavens.

You're right, the options on the bench are astounding and we are better on paper than anyone when it comes to depth.
Original Dub

Postby Fidel Castro » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:50 pm

Given - 6: Not much to do, 1 great save, few weird moments when communication skills didn't look brilliant.
Zabba - 8: Got skinned in the opening minutes but recovered well and was brilliant in the second half.
Micah - 9: Fantastic goal, didn't give anything away defensively and he's got that salmon leap back. Brilliant!
Kompany - 7: Won almost everything but loses a point for the goal we conceded, although Given shouldn't have played that pass.
Garrido - 6: Not troubled whatsoever, but not quite the attacking threat he can be either. Quiet game for him.
Petrov - 7: Looked a lot fitter and faster today. Even tracked back and was always trying to get us going offensively.
de Jong - 8: Thought he was having a dip in form the last couple of games but back to his best today.
Barry - 7: Very good winning the ball but some of his passing and especially his first touch was disappointing.
Bellamy - 6: Tried his best but nothing came off for him today. His attitude at being subbed (quite rightly imo) annoyed me.
Tevez - 10: World class.
Benjani - 8: Involved in 3 goals (although 2 by accident). Proved me wrong, I questioned his selection before the game and I now am eating a huge slice of humble pie.
Robinho - 7: Would've had a higher rating if he was on for longer, of that I'm sure. Think he only lost the ball once. Some great interchange with Tevez and generally just looked very positive and dangerous. Deserved a goal, hope to see him in the starting XI again sometime soon.
RSC & Boyata - no time to contribute.
Fidel Castro

Postby Nickyboy » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:51 pm

From where i sit it looked like given but Kompany in the shit with a terrible pass to lead to his mistake for their goal. Not had benefit of replay yet though. Quite a solid performance, fair play to benjani, put in a good shift and richards seem to win everything.
Nickyboy
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Nick » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:57 pm

I'd say everyone excellent, with petrov and zaba being the weak links (Sorry).

Was pleasantly surprised with Benjanis hold up/ pressure play and his strength although he did piss me off a few times.

Have to admit I was a bit bored after the first goal and thought Blackburn were shit and their for the taking, no idea why we took our foot off the gas.

Who plays saturday? RSC? Benji? Petrov? SWP needs a run out before the scum.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Original Dub » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:07 pm

Nickyboy wrote:From where i sit it looked like given but Kompany in the shit with a terrible pass to lead to his mistake for their goal. Not had benefit of replay yet though. Quite a solid performance, fair play to benjani, put in a good shift and richards seem to win everything.

Nope, Kompany did it all on his own. Keepers give passes like that several times a game, he just fucked up, but had a very good game besides.
Original Dub

Postby Fidel Castro » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:09 pm

Original Dub wrote:
Nickyboy wrote:From where i sit it looked like given but Kompany in the shit with a terrible pass to lead to his mistake for their goal. Not had benefit of replay yet though. Quite a solid performance, fair play to benjani, put in a good shift and richards seem to win everything.

Nope, Kompany did it all on his own. Keepers give passes like that several times a game, he just fucked up, but had a very good game besides.

Shite first touch from Kompany but Given should've just blasted the ball upfield in that position. It was Kompany who gave a shit backpass to Given in the first place though so I do agree Kompany is mostly to blame.
Fidel Castro

Postby StrikeAnywhere » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:13 pm

Given - 6 - Not much to do really. Could do little in terms of saving the goal but at times his distribution was poor and it was his pass which lead to the Kompany mistake.

Zabaleta - 6.5 - Zab worked really hard as always, one splendid ball to Tev which should of been a goal. However his reckless tackling at times leaves you with some heart in the mouth stuff.

Richards - 9 - Monstrous game from Micah. His Fifa like run and goal was fantastic and his ability to win headers snuffed out Blackburn's long ball threat. Sell him I think not!

Kompany - 7 - Played really well apart from that one mistake where he was careless on the ball which lead to Peterson's goal. Filling in well at the back and marshals the backline well.

Garrido - 8 - Very good game for Javier. He seems to be playing with a huge amount of confidence and has benefited the most since Mancini has taken over. Fought really hard and I can hardly think of a cross coming in from his side defensively.

Petrov - 7 - In and out of the game a lot tonight. Some real moments of class though and was eager to track back all game until being subbed.

De Jong - 8.5 - NDJ continues his run of brilliant form in that holding role. Blackburn never even looked like winning the midfield duel and De Jong is that reason.

Barry - 7.5 - Solid enough in midfield. Was unlucky at times to not to have been picked out on some of his intelligent runs he made. One ball of pure quality to Petrov who maybe should of done better with the finish.

Bellamy - 6.5 - Full of running but little end product. Their right back dealt with him well quite well. Rightfully subbed for Robinho around the 70th minute.

Tevez - 9.5 - Hat-trick hero and the wee Argentine continues to dazzle with his displays after winning Player of the Month. 12 league goals now. Wow. His finishing on those last two goals was utter brilliance.

Benjani - 8.5 - Had a very good first half and was unlucky not to score hitting the post and having his shot deflected by Robinson. Both ended up leading to goals and his great work on the right lead to Tevez's second. 3 assists left Mancini looking even more the genius.

Subs:

Robinho - 7.5 - Every touch on ball was class. Unlucky not to have scored but can take a lot from his involvement.

RSC and Boyata - N/A - Not enough time on to really give marks to but RSC looked up for the fight and his over eagerness led to him being a bit greedy.
StrikeAnywhere
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby Nick » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:15 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Shite first touch from Kompany but Given should've just blasted the ball upfield in that position. It was Kompany who gave a shit backpass to Given in the first place though so I do agree Kompany is mostly to blame.

Given shits me up though with some of his balls that put us under pressure when theres no need.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Alex Sapphire » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:30 pm

Garrido looked like the player I thought we'd bought
Richards looked like the lad that got called up by England for the 1st time in a while
Benji tried hard but lacks something at this level
Petrov...if only he had a right foot as well
Kompany was a ball playing CD which is what you want, but that gaffe was a shame
Zabba Bellamy Barry all played well
Tevez was n fire and Shay had a decent game (although he should have stopped Javier giving tha nedless corner, no bellowing to be heard.
de Jong was as always an attack dog and put in a real shift.
I'm looking forward to seeing more of Boyota
Binho... a bit greedy, but some lovely touches and more central when he looked to hurt them
Good night's work and Roberto was out in is technocal area poinyting out the passes...just like watching Pearce :-)
7.5/10, and still plenty of panic at the back
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Steve » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:40 pm

mr_nool wrote:Given 6 - Didn't make any mistakes, but didn't have to make any safes either. Can't be blamed for Blackburns goal.

Sorry mate, but I think he can! shocking case of showboating from a keeper. That ball needs to be going out, not dinking it over to Kompany in that position. He won't do that again though, and I'm sure Mancini will remind him.

Robbie was brilliant when he came on. I still love him, he has so much to offer us still. I think his pass, and run to drag Nelson away, and panic the defence for Tevez's third goal was a fantastic assist.
There's only one Antoine!
Steve

Supporter of: The Rays
My favourite player is: Evan Longoria

Postby Grob » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:42 pm

Given - 6 - Worst game for us? Stayed when he should have come, came when he should have stayed. Kicking average and the flick pass to Vinnie was ridiculous. Shot stopping is fine, the rest of the goalkeeping package has been below par for a while. Keeps getting away with it though.

Zabs - 7 - Classic good form Zabs performance.

Richards - 8 - Not tested too much defensivly but gets extra for the goal.

Kompany - 8 - Stitched up by Shay for the goal. Has a dicey touch at the best of times. Didnt notice him otherwise, good sign.

Garrido - 7 - Looks great when hes not tested defensivly often.

De Jong - 7 - Got around the pitch well and used the ball well.

Barry - 7 - Solid, did what was needed.

Petrov - 7 - Not much doing but threatened when given the rock. Best workrate ive seen from him too.

Bellemy - 7 - Has had better days but played for the team.

Benjani - 7 - 3 assists somehow came from him although i doubt he meant any of them. Loveable but not good enough,

Subs

Robinho - 7 - Lively cameo. More please. Even won a header

Santa Cruz - 6 - Had a pair of Benjanis shooting boots on by the looks of things

Boyata - Nice touch to put him on after his great debut at Boro.

and finally

Tevez - 10 - Perfect.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Grob » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:47 pm

Steve wrote:

Sorry mate, but I think he can! shocking case of showboating from a keeper. That ball needs to be going out, not dinking it over to Kompany in that position. He won't do that again though, and I'm sure Mancini will remind him.

Exactly

Given needs to buck up his ideas. He was ropey tonight.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Steve » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:51 pm

Grob wrote:
Steve wrote:

Exactly

Given needs to buck up his ideas. He was ropey tonight.

His distribution was poor tonight, notably from the off where he threw the ball out, and it slipped out of his hand. I have noticed we pass the ball back to him a lot more under Mancini. He must've had about 30 passbacks to deal with tonight, and some of them were launched at him with opposition players closing. Still no excuse for the goal though.
Steve

Postby M147WN » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:55 pm

Thought Barry was pushing Tevez hard for MOTM until Carlos got his hat-trick.
Fantastic performance from Tevez and deserves the accolade but Barry just annuled their forward play down the middle of the park and with all departments performing their individual tasks well the overall effect was scintilating at times!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!
M147WN
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Steve » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:55 pm

Grob wrote:Kompany - 8 - Stitched up by Shay for the goal. Has a dicey touch at the best of times. Didnt notice him otherwise, good sign.

Vinnie's an interesting one. Sometimes his touch, control and passing can look immaculate, and sometimes he's got temporary lead boots on. In the first half I couldn't believe how composed he looked on the ball. A couple of times in the second half the ball was bouncing about five yards away from him after his first touch, for example the Blackburn goal. I'm sure its a combination of mental/physical tiredness and pressure on the ball.
Steve

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum