NOOOOOOO!!! Benjani wants extended stay

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

NOOOOOOO!!! Benjani wants extended stay

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:48 am

Benjani is determined to see out his career with the Blues.

The Zimbabwe international set up the first three goals in City’s 4-1 win over Blackburn – two of them for Carlos Tevez.

And the 31-year-old is ready to battle Roque Santa Cruz and Emmanuel Adebayor for the role of attacking battering ram as he bids to win a stay beyond the six months that are left on his contract.

“I’m very happy because I’ve started two games in a row and it’s been a long time since that happened,” he declared still smiling after Roberto Mancini’s fourth successive win in charge.

“As a player you have to keep on believing, even if you know the chances of playing regularly are slim. You have to be very professional, do everything right and work very hard and now I’m glad I’m getting my chance.”

“I’ve always wanted to see out my career at City. I have six months left on my current deal and it would be nice if I could get another year or so. The only thing that is important to me is to fight hard for the right to play.

“I love the role I’ve had in recent weeks. I think it suits my game because I love a physical battle but the good thing is that when one player goes out, another comes in and does just as well – those are the ingredients of a very good team.”

Benjani reckons he has seldom known such confidence as is currently flowing through the Mancini inspired Blues.

“We need to take each game as it comes but we feel we can beat anyone at the moment,” he declared.

“We have reached the top four and now we want to stay there, of course we do, and while we have such competition for places and such belief and determination in the team then there is no reason why we cannot do that.”

from mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: NOOOOOOO!!! Benjani wants extended stay

Postby Kladze » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:51 am

Good for Benjani - what's your problem with him? Obviously Mancini doesn't have one.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:07 am

Kladze wrote:Good for Benjani - what's your problem with him? Obviously Mancini doesn't have one.

Well i'm not Mancini and i think he's shit. He needs to go, end of.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby ryanmjo » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:09 am

I guess there's no harm in keeping him for another 6 months. He's shown he can provide adequate, if not spectacular, cover.
ryanmjo
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:22 am

Thought he should have scored the first two goals himself. His shot from close in on goal was going wide till it went in off Tevez's thigh and it was Micah's momentum that put him in position to score when Benjani hit the post. And I'm not sure whether he was really trying to find Petrov in the box with the pass that led to the third goal but pulled it back too much, or whether he intended finding Tevez following up (in which case it was a super ball.) He certainly put in a shift today and he seems a popular guy judging from how the bench greeted him when he came off. I see no harm in keeping him on, though if his value is as a big burly forward maybe Calceido would have provided that, and younger with it?
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby DoomMerchant » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:02 am

BobbyJ1956 wrote:Thought he should have scored the first two goals himself. His shot from close in on goal was going wide till it went in off Tevez's thigh and it was Micah's momentum that put him in position to score when Benjani hit the post. And I'm not sure whether he was really trying to find Petrov in the box with the pass that led to the third goal but pulled it back too much, or whether he intended finding Tevez following up (in which case it was a super ball.) He certainly put in a shift today and he seems a popular guy judging from how the bench greeted him when he came off. I see no harm in keeping him on, though if his value is as a big burly forward maybe Calceido would have provided that, and younger with it?

interestingly, everything negative you've said about him doesn't really matter, because the ball went where it went and we won. serendipity. He can stay for 6 months if Mancini wants. Winning surely makes Benjani seem a little bit better. Funny how that works in a team.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby JonnyAsh » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:01 am

Benji seems to be playing as well as he has ever done with City, but whether that will be enough, only time will tell. With City, the cream will rise to the top, so everything will level out in the end
JonnyAsh
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:33 am

Mark ( Blue Army ) wrote:
Kladze wrote:Good for Benjani - what's your problem with him? Obviously Mancini doesn't have one.

Seriously, whats the point? Can't you just enjoy it and be happy that he's playing well and enjoying himself in the team? Get off his back.
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:16 am

Kiss_The_Goat wrote:

Seriously, whats the point? Can't you just enjoy it and be happy that he's playing well and enjoying himself in the team? Get off his back.

As much as I enjoyed Benjani's performance last night (you can't argue with three assists), I agree with KTG that giving Benjani extension would be step in wrong direction. I don't rate him at all. Still, fine performance.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby s1ty m » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:08 am

Good to see opinions being freely expressed.

Benjani has no touch and is pretty awful, reminds me of Dickov in many ways. I was slightly hoffified to see him in the side, but he played way above his usual level, which is low. He should have scored 2 though, scuffing both efforts. That they led to goals gives him assists by the backdoor. Fair enough.
After the ball was centred, after the whistle blew...
s1ty m
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby AlpsMaster » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:31 am

If Mancini believes he can 'make do and mend' with players like Benji and Garrido by giving then their chances and getting the best out of them (even though he doesn't have to and could easily go and splash the cash) then that's good enough for me.

If he can also get the best out of Ade, RSC, Robbie and the others then I think we'll be unstoppable.

I doubt Benji will be a long term first choice starter but if he keeps up the competition for places then that's fine by me.
AlpsMaster
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Vhero » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:33 am

The guy obviously wants a champions league medal before he retires :p.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Beeks » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:35 am

Let him stay...at the end of the day if he wants another year I don't see it being a problem...chances are he won't get much action...especially if we make the CL this year...we will no doubt draft some big guns into the club in the summer...but his wages are probably peanuts in comparison...so he can be back up for the back up should we have a few injuries...he played well last night
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Grob » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:48 am

Had an impact yesterday but the underlying problem is he's not good enough.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:49 am

Grob wrote:Had an impact yesterday but the underlying problem is he's not good enough.

thought he was a fantastic target man last night and his first touch was excellent, however, I have to agree.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:50 am

Like everyone else you could have knocked me down with a feather when the team was announced. But he had a decent game and it's good that Mancini can get something out of him. Thought RSC looked better in his brief outing though and I can only assume Mancini didn't think it wise for him to play the full match yet.

When you think RSC can get injured, Bellamy likewise, Ade away, injured or suspended (or on compassionate) Benji is now a good back-up for the rest of the season. Like others I cant see him getting an extension.

Lovely one-two off the post for Micah's goal!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Mike J » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:19 am

im sure he does want to stay with the wages he is on!

he did well last night but i still think he will go in this window. good lad and i will always think fondly of him because of THAT goal but he isnt of the required standard.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby mr_nool » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:23 am

I know it's a luxury, considering his wages, but it'd be difficult to find a better 4th or 5th striker. Not many players with an ounce of quality will be content with the odd emergency appearance.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:28 am

Exactly, and you will not decide whether he goes or stays. As long as he continues to play as he did in the last 2 matches, I see
no problem in him staying as a back up for Ade and RSC.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby sandman » Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:34 am

I thought he had a decent game last night, he's proven he can score in the prem, I reckon he should stay, i'd get rid of Santa Cruz first.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum