NOOOOOOO!!! Benjani wants extended stay

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: NOOOOOOO!!! Benjani wants extended stay

Postby Hinch's 5 Fingered Salute » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:27 am

sandman wrote:
Mark ( Blue Army ) wrote:
Kladze wrote:Good for Benjani - what's your problem with him? Obviously Mancini doesn't have one.

Well i'm not Mancini and i think he's shit. He needs to go, end of.

I thought he had a decent game last night, he's proven he can score in the prem, I reckon he should stay, i'd get rid of Santa Cruz first.

Think that's a little harsh on Santa Cruz! If Benjani plays like that every game he can stay. In my mind we need everyone pulling in the same direction and everyone ready and wanting to perform. As Petrov said when Hughes was in charge it was irrelevant how you played, and I can imagine that can be demoralising. Same thing happened to Garrido when Bridge was signed.

Who ever thought Benjani would start ahead of Robinho? Shows what a little faith can do.
Hinch's 5 Fingered Salute
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Shaun Wright-Phillips

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:33 am

mr_nool wrote:I know it's a luxury, considering his wages, but it'd be difficult to find a better 4th or 5th striker. Not many players with an ounce of quality will be content with the odd emergency appearance.

I have to disagree strogly. Besides that berth should be reserved for likes of Nimely-Tchuimeni or Ball.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby mr_nool » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:39 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
mr_nool wrote:I know it's a luxury, considering his wages, but it'd be difficult to find a better 4th or 5th striker. Not many players with an ounce of quality will be content with the odd emergency appearance.

I have to disagree strogly. Besides that berth should be reserved for likes of Nimely-Tchuimeni or Ball.

I haven't seen those lads play, but do you think we've had the same success against Borer and Blackburn with any of them playing? The thing is that the good kids will be better off playing regularly by being sent out on loan.
Intelligent Vigilant Person
mr_nool
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Postby Pretty Boy Lee » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:04 am

Worst 1st touch in football and always offside, yet I was singing his name for the 2nd game in a row. If he keeps it up I see no problem with a yr extension as backup to Ade and co.
Tracking back is overrated.
Pretty Boy Lee
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: City!
My favourite player is: Yaya

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:50 am

I see that the same old individuals are out in force against our own players again. It's quite unbeliveable really how these fans can turn against their own players and say they still support the team.

So Benji wants to stay. What exactly is the problem with that? Would you rather have someone who was clearly pushing for a move to Barca before they decided he wasn't good enough?

Clearly these 'fans' are more knowledgeable than the likes or Roberto & Sven. Why are you all here agruing about these players and not on million pound a year contracts managing teams?
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Original Dub » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:04 pm

Amen.

I'm amazed at the amount of "get rid" threads. Sell Richards?? WTF? Robinho needs to go.... We need to get rid of Benjani now!!!

We NEED to do fuck all when it comes to selling. Everything is in its rightful place. The best will play most games, the others will cover. Now if I'm not mistaken Benjani has just played his role to perfection when he was needed in the last two games.

He put us through to the next round of the FA Cup and set up 3 of the four goals that took us into the top four.

So we NEED to "get rid" or sell him "NOW" ... why exactly is that? Are we too stylish for him and his like now?

Ridiculous. If this argument was "should Benjani be first choice striker" then perhaps some of you would have a half a point. But just because he's happy with the role he has here and would like to stay for maybe another year or two, its a travesty?

Oh lord.
Original Dub

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:13 pm

Just leave it to the manager. Benjani will probably not get that many games if any when all are fit and firing but if Mancini plays him and the good fortune is there like last night what is there to be concerned about.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Rag_hater » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:30 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:I see that the same old individuals are out in force against our own players again. It's quite unbeliveable really how these fans can turn against their own players and say they still support the team.

So Benji wants to stay. What exactly is the problem with that? Would you rather have someone who was clearly pushing for a move to Barca before they decided he wasn't good enough?

Clearly these 'fans' are more knowledgeable than the likes or Roberto & Sven. Why are you all here agruing about these players and not on million pound a year contracts managing teams?

I put Benjani down to score in the predictions thread.I got it wrong about him scoring but wasn't suprised to see him starting cos I thought he did pretty well agaist Borer.
The thing I find odd about what you say is that the same old individuals slagging off one of our own players and then make a veiled attack on Robson who in my opinion is not guilty of the things you accuse him off.Pot calling the kettle black.
I like Benji and would not be upset if we gave him another year.
Rag_hater
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:34 pm

He stated that he'd like to go to Barca.

I'd never start an entire thread about him, or any other of our players, telling them to do one. Especially linking it into what is supposed to be a positive news story.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Rag_hater » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:52 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:He stated that he'd like to go to Barca.

I'd never start an entire thread about him, or any other of our players, telling them to do one. Especially linking it into what is supposed to be a positive news story.

He said he was flattered by the intrest shownin him by Barca(I would imagine most people would be especially Brazillians who grow up dreaming of playing for them(I should imagine its one of the biggest accolades a player could achieve))and it was more likely for him to achieve his goal of being the best player in the world there.He might be right on that point.
Rag_hater

Postby Nick » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:19 pm

sandman wrote:
Mark ( Blue Army ) wrote:
Kladze wrote:Good for Benjani - what's your problem with him? Obviously Mancini doesn't have one.

Well i'm not Mancini and i think he's shit. He needs to go, end of.

I thought he had a decent game last night, he's proven he can score in the prem, I reckon he should stay, i'd get rid of Santa Cruz first.

Behave! Santa has changed my mind about him now. I was slagging him off in his first few sub appearances because he didnt look arsed and wasnt running / chasing the ball down. I think thats totally changed now. I said he would come good in time, but was surprised how good he was vs. Sunderland, after so little game time.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Original Dub » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:20 pm

Rag_hater wrote:
LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:He stated that he'd like to go to Barca.

He said he was flattered by the intrest shownin him by Barca(I would imagine most people would be especially Brazillians who grow up dreaming of playing for them(I should imagine its one of the biggest accolades a player could achieve))and it was more likely for him to achieve his goal of being the best player in the world there.He might be right on that point.

He will NEVER be the best player in the world it doesn't matter where he goes IMO.

He's not even the best player at City. Not by some distance.

LookMum - I get exactly what you're saying in your OP. Cracking post and it is amazing how people play the "get rid" card as soon as a player is deemed unfashionable or dips in form.... and of course that player ISN'T Robinho.

Richards was made out to be the anti christ and he's contributed far more to the season than Robinho, as has Benjani. How do you explain that?
Original Dub

Postby bobadji » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:21 pm

Great last night, but he's just not at the top level and he's taking a place away from our yougsters, which with the new rules, is vital. Great stregnth for the 3rd goal though.
bobadji
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Ned

Postby carolina-blue » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:23 pm

Original Dub wrote:

Amen.

I'm amazed at the amount of "get rid" threads. Sell Richards?? WTF? Robinho needs to go.... We need to get rid of Benjani now!!!

We NEED to do fuck all when it comes to selling. Everything is in its rightful place. The best will play most games, the others will cover. Now if I'm not mistaken Benjani has just played his role to perfection when he was needed in the last two games.

He put us through to the next round of the FA Cup and set up 3 of the four goals that took us into the top four.

So we NEED to "get rid" or sell him "NOW" ... why exactly is that? Are we too stylish for him and his like now?

Ridiculous. If this argument was "should Benjani be first choice striker" then perhaps some of you would have a half a point. But just because he's happy with the role he has here and would like to stay for maybe another year or two, its a travesty?

Oh lord.

Good post, whether he intended the ball to go to Tevez or not the way he knocked the defender over like a ten pin bowling pin was was great , Like he says he enjoys the physical role he has been given, and there are teams out there that we need to employ that tactic against , If he wants to stay and get stuck in fair play to him .
carolina-blue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Original Dub » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:27 pm

mr_nool wrote:

I haven't seen those lads play, but do you think we've had the same success against Borer and Blackburn with any of them playing? The thing is that the good kids will be better off playing regularly by being sent out on loan.

Pre-fucking-cisely.

Benjani is far more useful to us as cover than these lads UNTIL THEY PROVE OTHERWISE by either scoring at prem level or banging them in at championship level.

NQDP - you picked a bad time to "disagree strongly", given that in his last two games Benjani has put us through to the next round of the FA Cup and set up three goals that fired us into 4th in the league.

You honestly believe it should have been Nimely-Tchuimeni or Ball should have taken his place???!

You must watch these lads verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyy closely indeed.
Original Dub

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:30 pm

Original Dub wrote:
mr_nool wrote:

Pre-fucking-cisely.

Benjani is far more useful to us as cover than these lads UNTIL THEY PROVE OTHERWISE by either scoring at prem level or banging them in at championship level.

NQDP - you picked a bad time to "disagree strongly", given that in his last two games Benjani has put us through to the next round of the FA Cup and set up three goals that fired us into 4th in the league.

You honestly believe it should have been Nimely-Tchuimeni or Ball should have taken his place???!

I praised him for his contribution but we would've won the game last night without him as well.

And we are talking about contract EXTENSION here aren't we?

Funny that you said you are against Vieira signing because he blocks chances for (imaginery) promising central midfielders we have yet are more than willing to give Benjani contract extension.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Alex Sapphire » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:30 pm

poor thread.
Only 2 names in it want us to get rid, so not worth giving them the attention.
And Robinson blocked his shot (brave keeping) and deflected it to Tevez
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire

Postby simon12 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:34 pm

Original Dub wrote:

Amen.

Ridiculous. If this argument was "should Benjani be first choice striker" then perhaps some of you would have a half a point. But its a travesty?

just because he's happy with the role he has here and would like to stay for maybe another year or two,Oh lord.

Great point. He knows where he is in the pecking order and is happy to stay. Good on him willing to fight for a starting place understands there maybe chances with squad rotation etc
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Postby Original Dub » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:58 pm

Original Dub wrote:
mr_nool wrote:

Pre-fucking-cisely.

I praised him for his contribution but we would've won the game last night without him as well.

And we are talking about contract EXTENSION here aren't we?

Funny that you said you are against Vieira signing because he blocks chances for (imaginery) promising central midfielders we have yet are more than willing to give Benjani contract extension.

I never said anything about Vieira "blocking chances for (imaginary) promising central midfielders", where did you dream that one up??!

I said I thought the move for Vieira was a strange one because we are strong in that department and I felt he was on the way down in his last season in the premier league. That's MILES away from you suggesting we should get rid of Benjani and that you would have rathered we used one of two kids that you, if you admit it, know very fucking little about.

Come on, you're way off the mark here and you know it. If we had Vieira here already and he was happy being back-up and doing a damn good job when called upon, do you think I'd want him gone? No, I wouldn't.

Its fucking daft that I have to explain the reasons why we shouldn't ship Benjani out when he's probably only got a year or two left, he's not on massive wages AND when called upon he did a fantastic job in getting us through to the FA Cup 4th round and playing a significant role in firing us into the top four.

If it was Robinho that had made the same contribution, you would be saying how lucky we are to have such a player.
Original Dub

Postby Florida Blue » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:29 pm

First off, why does he NEED to go?? We don't need the money, and he has not said word one about his playing time other than that he is going to work to get more, hardly a locker room cancer. He played his role last night exactly. It was unfortunate he did not score, but better he hit the woodwork not missed entirely, right?

Whether or not his pass on the third goal was intended for Petrov or Tevez, his hard work is what secured the ball, he earned possession, much in a way I wish other players would. His role is simple, be enough of a presence to attract opposing defenders. Did anyone see Benjani alone at any time other than Micah's run (which he had to be left alone because Micah beat 5 of their players further up the the pitch)? No, they were tightly marking him, he was clearly a threat to their defenders.

Also, name one of our forwards that has been available for every game?? Exactly. Benjani of course has not been fit all season as well, but he fills a vital depth role. We are playing in 2 cups and the PL currently, why would anyone want to dump him now?? He is playing well, and is obviosuly popular with his teammates.

As for an extension, why even comment now? Let's see how he finishes out the season. If we do indeed finish in top 4 (or 6 for that matter) we will have the PL season and 3 cups to play for, if he proves to be valuable from here on out, what is the real cost of his contract to provide cover?

Well done Benjani!
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum