Ryan McGivern

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Ryan McGivern

Postby Mase » Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:46 pm

Anyone been following him while he's been on loan at Leicester? Wanted to know how the kids doing.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Re: Ryan McGivern

Postby Wonderwall » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:05 pm

MaseCTID wrote:Anyone been following him while he's been on loan at Leicester? Wanted to know how the kids doing.

watched him the other day Versus Ipswich, can't say I was impressed. he was turned inside out on a couple of occasions and looked pretty awful. Good in the air defensively is the main positive that I saw.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Blue2 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Wonderwall wrote:
MaseCTID wrote:Anyone been following him while he's been on loan at Leicester? Wanted to know how the kids doing.

watched him the other day Versus Ipswich, can't say I was impressed. he was turned inside out on a couple of occasions and looked pretty awful. Good in the air defensively is the main positive that I saw.

and scored a Dunnesque own goal, done ok I think when I have seen him and can't have done too badly if they have extended his loan until the end of the season.
Blue2
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Hanging
My favourite player is: Aguerooooooooooooooo

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:53 pm

I saw the Ipswich game too in a desperate search for Sunday football. Crap was the word I had in mind but I'll go along with your more charitable assessments.

In any case, definitely yet another of those 'youngsters that are our future' who wont make a Premier player.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:59 pm

john@staustell wrote:I saw the Ipswich game too in a desperate search for Sunday football. Crap was the word I had in mind but I'll go along with your more charitable assessments.

In any case, definitely yet another of those 'youngsters that are our future' who wont make a Premier player.

Beat me to it John. Decent player but not for the top of the prem.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Mase » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:10 pm

Dam. Thought he was an exciting prospect having already been capped for NI.
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:14 pm

Fuck me, the lads only 20 years old and trying to get into a new team. He's only had about 10 games for Leicester, at LB and CB, and you are all expecting to see Superman. He is a big lanky defender who needs to fill out, play regular football and get vital experience from tthe 1st team.

I wonder how many 20 year olds are lighting up the Prem, or even the Championship at the moment?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:19 pm

I am not going on what I have seen with Leicester ( about 5 minutes) but more on City reserves. Decent but not prem for me.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:24 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I am not going on what I have seen with Leicester ( about 5 minutes) but more on City reserves. Decent but not prem for me.

I know Doug, but my point is, how many 20 year olds are?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Hinch's 5 Fingered Salute » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:58 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I am not going on what I have seen with Leicester ( about 5 minutes) but more on City reserves. Decent but not prem for me.

This is it now, the bar has been raised. The likes of Bradley Wright Phillips, Lee Croft, Stephen Jordan standard getting a game are zero. Good Championship lower Prem half will find it hard to get minutes if any. I've not seen much of McGivern but from what I have and from what I've heard, he won't make it with us.

I think Ben Mee is the same, they can look head and shoulders above others at youth level but then not kick on, and others who may not have looked as good kick on and make it. Think Logan will go that way, and I believe Karl Moore has been released (he looked promising a while back) and Paul Marshall who was an England U20 went to Aberdeen on a free, and big Clayton McDonald went to Walsall.

I think the pleasing thing is that if they don't make it with us, nearly all of the academy players go on to have a league career elsewhere and in many cases still get back to the Premiership or Championship level, e.g. Mears, Whelan, Jordan, Hennesey, Westwood.
Hinch's 5 Fingered Salute
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Shaun Wright-Phillips

Postby Beefymcfc » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Hinch's 5 Fingered Salute wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:

This is it now, the bar has been raised. The likes of Bradley Wright Phillips, Lee Croft, Stephen Jordan standard getting a game are zero. Good Championship lower Prem half will find it hard to get minutes if any. I've not seen much of McGivern but from what I have and from what I've heard, he won't make it with us.

I think Ben Mee is the same, they can look head and shoulders above others at youth level but then not kick on, and others who may not have looked as good kick on and make it. Think Logan will go that way, and I believe Karl Moore has been released (he looked promising a while back) and Paul Marshall who was an England U20 went to Aberdeen on a free, and big Clayton McDonald went to Walsall.

I think the pleasing thing is that if they don't make it with us, nearly all of the academy players go on to have a league career elsewhere and in many cases still get back to the Premiership or Championship level, e.g. Mears, Whelan, Jordan, Hennesey, Westwood.

This is my exact point. Although not all the academy lads will make it with us, no-one could really make an assumption that they will never make it as a Prem player at such an early age. As much as I hold John's and Doug's opinion highly, I do remember a certain Etuhu brother being told the same thing when he left us!

Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Return to The Maine Football forum