Players Who Would And Would Not Have Made It In Modern Game?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Players Who Would And Would Not Have Made It In Modern Game?

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:58 pm

Arguments are always going that this and that player would and wouldn't have been stars in modern game because of this and that reason. But which of the STAR players do you think would've been equally great if not even better in modern game and which do you think would have been flops.

One fact that needs to be pointed here is that in average players run whopping four times more in English top flight these days compared to 80's.

Some players I think would've still been stars:
Pele - Always thought to epitomise Brazilian dribbling but in reality he was (from what I've gathered from old videos) classic centerforward who had it all. Skill in abundance but also pace and strength. Equally good in air as with ball on his feet.

Colin Bell - Again, from what I've gathered from videos and reading about him, a true all around midfielder who could run, shoot, pass and take care of himself as well.

Marco van Basten - Player with great strength, speed of thought and technical skill. He was one of the best around at the time but in modern era in faster game I feel he would've been second to none

Some players I think wouldn't have made it to VERY top:

Maradona - Fantistally talented with great vision and passing skills to die for. But I doubt he would've coped with the pace of the game and athletic nature of modern game. Would've been professional but not world star

Gazza - Pretty much same as Maradona. Gazza was stronger but those who remember him in prime and not just youtube collections know that he had bad tendency to go missing in games and basically just walk around the pitch when he wasn't up for it, for whatever reason.

Duncan Ferguson - Epitomises to world gone by and was last of his breed. Scared the shit out of defenders (for a good reason as well) and was good targetman in his prime. But modern game would simply pass him by and he was already struggling in the final years of his career.

I've got millions more to both category but wht do you people think?
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Re: Players Who Would And Would Not Have Made It In Modern Game?

Postby Dubciteh » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:35 pm

good topic cant think of many of my head but will do.

dont think kinky would be special in our team but thats a different argument!
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Kyle » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:42 pm

I agree with those. Pele also got hacked and kicked in every game he played in an attempt to stop him, now a days those would all be cards and I think he would be a little more protected.

For me maradona is a tough one. Part of me agrees with you completly, and the other part thinks that he would be just like messi in the modern game.
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby Kladze » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:57 pm

Not sure if the 'they weren't athletic enough' argument really stands up Antti because if those players were around during modern times then surely they would have received the training to make them athletic enough - in which case players like Best, Maradonna, and Cruyff would still have bestrode our game like the 'kings' they were.

Of course, if you're just talking about transplanting them directly that's a different argument - and it's then debatable as to whether any of them would have made it.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Cityfan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:02 pm

The game is faster, forwards are better protected and hackers are more heavily punished.
I suspect many of the greats would be great in any era.
I disagree about Maradonna who I feel would have been better protected by referees and with is power and close control would ahve been even more effective. Gazza had these attributes but to a lesser extent.

The player who ghosts in and scores but contributes little else and does not creat etheir own chances seem to have disappeared from the game possibly because of better defenses so maybe players like Lineker and Gerd Muller would have been less prominent.

The hard men would maybe get sent off more so players like Souness Bremner Hunter and possibly our own Mick Doyle be less effective.
Cityfan
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:43 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote: Some players I think wouldn't have made it to VERY top:

Maradona - Fantistally talented with great vision and passing skills to die for. But I doubt he would've coped with the pace of the game and athletic nature of modern game. Would've been professional but not world star.

Duncan Ferguson - Epitomises to world gone by and was last of his breed. Scared the shit out of defenders (for a good reason as well) and was good targetman in his prime. But modern game would simply pass him by and he was already struggling in the final years of his career.

I might use this quote once a disagreement. Maradona was on a different planet - if you honestly believe that the modern Prem, replete as it is with the giants of Hull, Wigan, Bolton, Pompey, Wolves... packed with footballing titans like Amdy Faye, Keith Andrews, Gary O'Neill and Zubar.... or whatever level you're talking about (the new look shit serie-A? The pace and verve of la Liga?) would have proved beyond him I despair.

The juxtaposition is superb as well - love the suggestion that "Big" Dunc did make it to the "VERY top".
Do you think that Lothar Matthaus and John Moncur would have struggled in their respective ascents to the summit of world football?

Duncan Ferguson:
Dundee - 077 (28)
Rangers - 014 0(2)
Everton - Loan 009 0(2)
Everton - 107 (35)
Newcastle - 030 0(8)
Everton - 123 (24)
Career - 360 (99)
Scotland - 7 (0)
Honours: FA Cup: 1- 1994-95

Diego Maradona:
Argentinos Juniors 167 (115)
Boca Juniors 40 (28)
FC Barcelona 36 (22)
Napoli 188 (81) - 1984-1991- In the arguably the greatest league ever; certainly one of the hardest to score in.
Sevilla 26 (5)
Newell's Old Boys 7 (0)
Boca Juniors 30 (7)
Career: 490 (258)
1977–1994 - Argentina 91 (34)
Honours:
* Argentina Boca Juniors
o Primera División: 1981

* Spain Barcelona
o Copa del Rey: 1983
o Copa de la Liga: 1983
o Spanish Super Cup: 1983

* Italy Napoli
o Serie A: 1987, 1990
o Coppa Italia: 1987
o UEFA Cup: 1989
o Italian Super Cup: 1990

World Cup - winner 1986; runner-up 1990.
Individual:

* Golden Ball for Best Player of the FIFA U-20 World Cup: 1979
* Argentine league Top Scorer: 1979, 1980, 1981
* Argentine Football Writers' Footballer of the Year: 1979, 1980, 1981, 1986
* South American Footballer of the Year (El Mundo, Caracas):1979, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1992
* Italian Guerin d'Oro: 1985
* Argentine Sports Writers' Sportsman of the Year: 1986
* Golden Ball for Best Player of the FIFA World Cup: 1986
* Best Footballer in the World Onze d'Or: 1986, 1987
* World Player of the Year (World Soccer Magazine): 1986
* Capocannoniere (Serie A top scorer): 1987-88
* Golden Ball for services to football (France Football): 1996
* Argentine Sports Writers' Sportsman of the Century: 1999
* FIFA best football player of the century: 2000
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Original Dub » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:18 pm

Dunne's Half-Time Pint wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote: Some players I think wouldn't have made it to VERY top:

Maradona - Fantistally talented with great vision and passing skills to die for. But I doubt he would've coped with the pace of the game and athletic nature of modern game. Would've been professional but not world star.

I might use this quote once a disagreement. Maradona was on a different planet - if you honestly believe that the modern Prem, replete as it is with the giants of Hull, Wigan, Bolton, Pompey, Wolves... packed with footballing titans like Amdy Faye, Keith Andrews, Gary O'Neill and Zubar.... or whatever level you're talking about (the new look shit serie-A? The pace and verve of la Liga?) would have proved beyond him I despair.

The juxtaposition is superb as well - love the suggestion that "Big" Dunc did make it to the "VERY top".
Do you think that Lothar Matthaus and John Moncur would have struggled in their respective ascents to the summit of world football?

Duncan Ferguson:
Dundee - 077 (28)
Rangers - 014 0(2)
Everton - Loan 009 0(2)
Everton - 107 (35)
Newcastle - 030 0(8)
Everton - 123 (24)
Career - 360 (99)
Scotland - 7 (0)

Diego Maradona:
Boca Juniors 40 (28)
FC Barcelona 36 (22)
Napoli 188 (81) - 1984-1991- In the arguably the greatest league ever; certainly one of the hardest to score in.
Sevilla 26 (5)
Newell's Old Boys 7 (0)
Boca Juniors 30 (7)
Honours:
* Argentina Boca Juniors

* Spain Barcelona

* Italy Napoli

Individual:

* South American Footballer of the Year (El Mundo, Caracas):1979, 1986, 1989, 1990, 1992

Big Dunc wins hands down mate.

No fucking contest, take your head out of your arse DHTP.
Original Dub

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:25 pm

Original Dub wrote:Big Dunc wins hands down mate.

No fucking contest, take your head out of your arse DHTP.

It's the juxtaposition that's so funny - two men who both reached the very top of the world game.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:37 pm

Duncan Ferguson:
Dundee - 077 (28)
Rangers - 014 0(2)
Everton - Loan 009 0(2)
Everton - 107 (35)
Newcastle - 030 0(8)
Everton - 123 (24)
Career - 360 (99)
Scotland - 7 (0)

Diego Maradona:
Boca Juniors 40 (28)
FC Barcelona 36 (22)
Sevilla 26 (5)
Newell's Old Boys 7 (0)
Boca Juniors 30 (7)
Honours:
* Argentina Boca Juniors

* Spain Barcelona

* Italy Napoli

Individual:

Oh come on. I wasn't comparing them FFS. To make it more clear, I think Maradona would be playing his football in average team in one of the better leagues and would be alright player for Argentina but would not be match for likes of Messi and Tranaldo in very top of the world game. Duncan Ferguson would laying bricks and playing Sunday League.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby bluej » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:48 pm

Ferguson only retired a few years ago didn't he, so I can't see how much the game has changed since then. There's no difference between him and Kevin Davies playing now really.

Good topic though, I think someone mentioned Kinkladze further up the thread, it would have been interesting to see him these days with the better protection afforded to him.
bluej
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:14 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Oh come on. I wasn't comparing them FFS. To make it more clear, I think Maradona would be playing his football in average team in one of the better leagues and would be alright player for Argentina but would not be match for likes of Messi and Tranaldo in very top of the world game. Duncan Ferguson would laying bricks and playing Sunday League.

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Maradona: Would've been professional but not world star
- this should be the end of your credibility.

Didn't say you'd 'compared' them. You've placed them together under the same heading - absurd for any number of reasons - inviting the comparison. Comic juxtaposition yeah:

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Some players I think wouldn't have made it to VERY top:

Maradona - Fantistally talented with great vision and passing skills to die for. But I doubt he would've coped with the pace of the game and athletic nature of modern game. Would've been professional but not world star

Dunne's Half-Time Pint

Postby fangsanalsatan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:16 pm

NQDP, from what I've seen/read Maradona had natural pace and strength in abundance. In his prime he was unstoppable. He'd be the daddy today, no doubt.
fangsanalsatan
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of:

Postby gillie » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:23 pm

Pele best player in any age imo he was so far in front in his pomp he could stroll it even now.Pele best i have ever seen FACT.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:42 pm

Obviously players are more like highly tuned athletes now but I think one thing people tend to forget is the different pitches that the old boys used to play on, the toll that takes on the body along with the physical nature of the challenges they used to endure week in week out & the different equipment used. For that reason, I think many of the players of the past would be a similar level in today's game as they were then, they'd just be fitter & adapt. The cloggers, like Nobby Stiles, would be the ones to really lose out because everything they did would be a foul.

Bell, Maradona, Best, Cruyff etc would all be stars just the same imo. Bobby Moore would be a world class version of John Terry & Carvalho put together without the need to Rugby tackle & better at football. Francis Lee would be Tevez as he is in this current spell but with a harder shot.

Paddy Crerand would be overrated shite & Jack Charlton would get the piss taken out of him.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby BobbyJ1956 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:49 pm

Who from the old days would still make it to the top? Pele, yes. Beckenbauer. Probably Zola. From City players, Colin Bell (superbly fit), and to the nearly top Mike Summerbee and Dave Watson are the first ones to come to mind. But this thread is full of talk about "Big Dunc" and I laughed when I saw it's about Duncan Ferguson. Give over, there was and will only ever be one Big Dunc and that was the incomparable Duncan Edwards who would have made it to the top in any age in any country and possibly in any sport involving strength, brilliant skills, and great heart. His tragic early death was the greatest single loss English football has ever suffered. OK, most folk on here are too young to have seen him play, but then you never watched Olivier act or heard Edith Piaf sing either.
BobbyJ1956
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ali Benarbia

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:01 am

Jarizinho
Duncan Edwards
Ferenc Puskas
Most GKs

Would have made it for definite
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Postby Fidel Castro » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:12 am

Maradona would still be the dogs bollocks.
What about Garrincha? Some Dutch guy made a documentary about him a few years back, he looked bloody amazing.
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:24 am

Fidel Castro wrote:Maradona would still be the dogs bollocks.
What about Garrincha? Some Dutch guy made a documentary about him a few years back, he looked bloody amazing.

Brazil did not lose a single game in which he and Pele played - supposed to have been a staggering player. That said, he had polio as a youngster (or some such) and had a wonky leg... he'd be better than fuckin Jo. that's certain.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint

Postby Ted Hughes » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:27 am

Brazil did not lose a single game in which he and Pele played - supposed to have been a staggering player. That said, he had polio as a youngster (or some such) and had a wonky leg... he'd be better than fuckin Jo. that's certain.

He could make the footballs they had in those days fly like a missile. God knows what he could do with the things they use now.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby BlueinBosnia » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:48 am

Garrincha (I forgot his name) was one I'd say would be iffy. Barton's background, Merton's lifestyle.
"Ferguson. Žvaka kurac."
(Ferguson. Chewing-gum cock.)
Old man in a bar in rural Bosnia.
BlueinBosnia
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: Team Bridge

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum