Has Mancini got any cash and does he need it?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Has Mancini got any cash and does he need it?

Postby Wooders » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:04 pm

I am starting to wonder if he has been given any money to spend this window - I am also wondering if he needs any to be honest

when he was asked in that disastrous interview with Cook what his contract was he said quite clearly "I have six months, then three years".... now, I read into that that he is on a 6 month trial, which I feel is reasonable given that we're looking for the right manager to take us to the title and champions league glory and the sacking of hughes is a clear indication that the owners aren't prepared to wait for a manager to grow with the role, they want a quality tactician who can get the best out of the players available after a not imodest spending period already - add to this the Vieira deal, for me its definately the right deal, 6 months and then we'll see, but doesn't that sound a bit familiar?
Last and not least is the sheer lack of being linked with anybody that looks concrete (Vieira aside) - newspapers like the star are reporting we've been rejected by Di Maria until the summer, whilst ITK's over at a certain other forum are insisting that Ansaldi has signed, so we all know that isn't going to happen now. I think Bobby Manc has 6 months to prove he is the man for the mega money in the summer - I think, and hope, he is that man, if he wins the title, I think the sky would be the limit.

Onto my next question - does he need it? I think a manager who is going to be successful has a top 4 squad at his disposal right now and should be able to lift results and get us in there with the crazy season we're experiencing at the moment.
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Re: Has Mancini got any cash and does he need it?

Postby ENIAM NAM » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:11 pm

Wooders wrote:I am starting to wonder if he has been given any money to spend this window - I am also wondering if he needs any to be honest

when he was asked in that disastrous interview with Cook what his contract was he said quite clearly "I have six months, then three years".... now, I read into that that he is on a 6 month trial, which I feel is reasonable given that we're looking for the right manager to take us to the title and champions league glory and the sacking of hughes is a clear indication that the owners aren't prepared to wait for a manager to grow with the role, they want a quality tactician who can get the best out of the players available after a not imodest spending period already - add to this the Vieira deal, for me its definately the right deal, 6 months and then we'll see, but doesn't that sound a bit familiar?
Last and not least is the sheer lack of being linked with anybody that looks concrete (Vieira aside) - newspapers like the star are reporting we've been rejected by Di Maria until the summer, whilst ITK's over at a certain other forum are insisting that Ansaldi has signed, so we all know that isn't going to happen now. I think Bobby Manc has 6 months to prove he is the man for the mega money in the summer - I think, and hope, he is that man, if he wins the title, I think the sky would be the limit.

Onto my next question - does he need it? I think a manager who is going to be successful has a top 4 squad at his disposal right now and should be able to lift results and get us in there with the crazy season we're experiencing at the moment.

If we finish in the top 4, I think the sky would be the limit.

In answer to your question, I don't think he needs it, but I do think that if he wants it, he would probably get it. Given he has only just taken over, I woulkd expect any transfer activity to be done towards the end of the window to give him more time to make his assessments.
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby CityFanFromRome » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:14 pm

Depends on what we want to achieve. If we are happy enough with a top four spot, then he doesn't need it imho. If we want to go all out in a quest for the title, taking advantage of the strange season at the top so far, then maybe we could use a pair of signings, especially a creative midfielder and possibly a striker if Santa in not reliable with his injuries and Ade is going to take time to sort himself out after what happened.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby glossopblue » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:41 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:Depends on what we want to achieve. If we are happy enough with a top four spot, then he doesn't need it imho. If we want to go all out in a quest for the title, taking advantage of the strange season at the top so far, then maybe we could use a pair of signings, especially a creative midfielder and possibly a striker if Santa in not reliable with his injuries and Ade is going to take time to sort himself out after what happened.

torres and gerrard??? think if he goes for it we could win the fucker!!
glossopblue
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Postby Buffalo Soldier » Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:49 pm

Think he would be given any money he needs if a truly exceptional signing was possible (e.g. Villa, Ribery, Samaras) but I doubt they would want to sanction another spending spree and risk upsetting the squad at this moment in time. Am sure Mancini would like to see the squad he has inherited for the next 6 months anyway and then assess what is needed.

Much harder to do deals in January, and probably even harder in world cup year when people don't want to risk having to fight for a place in a team or risk losing their form under a new manager/new surroundings.

Could possibly see another striker coming in if Ade is going to be away for some time and maybe another centre half (possibly Cordoba on a similar deal to Vieira).
Buffalo Soldier
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:02 pm

If he wants someone on a long term contract, I think it will have to be the right man not just for him, but for Marwood and Cook too. The player would have to be a club asset, not a manager one.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Blackadder » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:45 pm

Mancini getting our existing players performing well week in week out is like signing 4 or 5 new ones.

Barry's better, Kompany looking settled, Richards too, then there are Petrov and Garrido. Just wait until RM gets Toure, Lescott, Bridge, SWP, Adebayor, RSC and Ireland fit and available and playing to his system.

And if you've forgotten, we've got Robinho - who I think will be pulling out some performances of real quality over the next few weeks.

In answer to the OP's question - yes and no.
"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others." - Groucho Marx
Blackadder
Richard Edghill Whipping Boy

Supporter of: CITY
My favourite player is: Agueroooooooooooo

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:58 pm

I think that it was stated clearly that the bulk of our spending was over in the summer.

It was considered that Hughes had the tools to do his job, and I seem to remember Hughes saying something similar. The sacking reinforces this position.

Unless you are staring relegation in the face, any new manager should have to work with the squad he inherits, which to me is more than good enough. There will no doubt be tweaks, but I am not at all surprised to see how quiet the window has been so far for us.

If Mancini is allowed to start spending shitloads of dough now, it is pointless, it is buying players for the sake of it, and pushing out those who we only bought 12 months ago to sit on the bench on huge contracts - hence we could never sell them. We have put together a squad of players that most managers would be 90% happy with to launch an assault on the top 4 or even the title for that matter.

So far so good, it hasnt been perfect and there will be tougher tests to come, but I say stick with what we have.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:59 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:If he wants someone on a long term contract, I think it will have to be the right man not just for him, but for Marwood and Cook too. The player would have to be a club asset, not a manager one.

This is what I think too, as far as big money signings go anyway. I'm sure they'd let him sign some lesser players but if it was a big money one it'd have to be a player who they recon any manager on Earth would be happy to have in their squad. Gerrard & Torres fall into that catagory.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby iqjatt » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:10 am

I think he does have the option there of new signings, but he won't take it.......i think he is looking in the long term, he know's that if we can make it to the champions league this season then in the summer there is no limit to who we might go for....if we do make it then we should look out for some big name signings in the summer.
iqjatt
Bianchi's Matchday Snood

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:46 am

I don't like these transfer windows at the best of times, and this one, thankfully, has coincided with some good form, good performances and , dare I say it, media positivity, so the focus has been away from bringing in players to replace those who arent performing,to the team possibly(gulp) winning something. To be fair, the ones not playing are either injured, on international duty or on loan so apart from a centre half to the end of season deal a la campbell leave be I say.
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:52 am

iqjatt wrote:I think he does have the option there of new signings, but he won't take it.......i think he is looking in the long term, he know's that if we can make it to the champions league this season then in the summer there is no limit to who we might go for....if we do make it then we should look out for some big name signings in the summer.

I dont see how him being on a 6 month contract with an option, allows him to plan for the future. Mancini's future is the next 6 months, and for now thats it.

He has a specific objective, and if he reaches it, then yes we may see a few new faces. Until then, all we will see is tweaks, extra cover like Vieira or others on short term/loan deals.

It would be madness to start trying to buy players we dont really need, in an inflated January window, who may not even be wanted come summer should Mancini fail in his task.
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:59 am

Blackadder wrote:Mancini getting our existing players performing well week in week out is like signing 4 or 5 new ones.

Barry's better, Kompany looking settled, Richards too, then there are Petrov and Garrido. Just wait until RM gets Toure, Lescott, Bridge, SWP, Adebayor, RSC and Ireland fit and available and playing to his system.

And if you've forgotten, we've got Robinho - who I think will be pulling out some performances of real quality over the next few weeks.

In answer to the OP's question - yes and no.

I fully agree with this.

These players are good enough to finish fourth but whether we gave too big of a head start in first part of the season remains to be seen. Still, there's nothing wrong with the squad.

I personally don't think there's required talent available this january window and it was always going to be about stop gaps. I'd like to see us sign experienced centerback to provide some cover but other than that, I don't really expect incoming transfers and looking at what Robbie Manc has done to our shit players, I can't wait to see him get his hands on some of our underperformers coming back.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby irblinx » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:55 am

I'm sure it was reported that he clarified the contract length in the Italian press and it was just a language barrier thing, he has a three and a half year contract.

In any case, as was very clearly discussed in that first press conference we buy players by committee so Roberto, whilst having a very big say obviously isn't the only one involved in the decision making process so I doubt that we would be worried about spending money now. I'm sure that he could buy if he thought he needed to but he appears to have liked what his seen of the squad so far and no doubt has his eye of the players coming back from injury. The way he has us playing you'd struggle to see who he would want to replace. The defence is playing well and we have Bridge, Lescott, Ned and Toure to come back. He has bought cover for midfield so that he can factor Vinnie as a CB and still have enough depth, we have Stevie to come back. Out wide we have Petrov, Robinho, Bellers, SWP and Weiss. Up Front Benji is playing ok, Rocky looked good again in his cameo on Monday, Carlito is on fire. The issue of when Ade will be back is obviously a tender on, we can play Bellers and Robby up front if needed but we are maybe a little light (despite what the papers say). Overall then, if Mancini decided not to bring anyone else in then I could certainly see the thinking.
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby ant london » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:05 am

I think it speaks volumes about the playing resources that we have that there have been minimal amounts of excited "City linked with X, Y, Z" threads in the run up to, and during, this transfer window.

Fact is, we all know that we have a pretty bloody good squad now and, as Antti says, the level of quality we would need to recruit to make significant steps up in most areas is simply not realistically available in January (and is even difficult to get hold of in the summer).

I'm sure Mancini would pick up the odd player if they were available (a full back maybe, potentially a striker.....due to the Ade/Roque doubts) but fact is, he has shown us that we have more strength in depth than the players used so far this season would have had us believe....and that is with a long injury list and certain players away in Africa. The exciting thing is, as others have pointed out, the thought of what he could squeeze out of those who have been below par.

I'd be happy if we signed no-one else to be honest.

Oh and re the contract being a six month trial. I'd say that he'll get the extension if the current promising signs continue even IF we don't get top 4 (which I increasingly think we will in any case).
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby AlpsMaster » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:29 am

I don't think he has got a wad of cash to splash but I don't think he really needs it either.

My view is the deal he is on requires a top 4 finish and if he acheives this then he will get whatever he wants/needs to take us right to the top.

But like others have said, there is a fantastic opportunity to really go for it this season (especially without having to worry about European games!) and a couple of decent signings now could make all the difference.

I'd still like to see Henry join us personally.
AlpsMaster
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:32 am

I dont think it was planned to go spending. But front striker is worrying me at the moment, with Rocky always injured, Ade off with his head, and relying on Benjani who is also usually injured, as well as of debateable quality. I see David Ball is out for another 6 weeks.

If he's happy to use what we have, and maybe go with Tevez and Bellamy (with his knees) then fine.

But I can see that position affecting our season. So who knows?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Vhero » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:36 am

I don't think he can buy anybody I do think however if he thinks the club has a chance at getting a player it really needs he can go to somebody above him and ask for the player which he is used to anyway working as a manager at an Italian club.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby CityFanFromRome » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:24 am

I share the same "fear" as John, we may be in trouble with our strikers if Roque keeps being injured and Ade takes long to sort himself out after the tragedy, we are left with Benjani, Tevez, Bellamy, Robinho, and some academy lads like Mak and Nimely.

Tevez is scoring for fun now, will he keep it up till the end of the season? If he does, all is well, but what if he stops? Bellamy can't be relied upon for playing all games, and while I've seen improvement in Robinho, he's still not at his best and we can't rely on him to be an out and out striker, Benji, as well as he has done in the last two games, is not of the required quality imho, and the academy lads could be future stars, but are we going to risk missing the fourth spot relying on them if our older strikers become unavailable?

So if I were Mancini I'd definitely look to bring a striker in, preferably one that can act as target man, which rules out Balotelli, who is one of the names I would consider if I were Mancini. Maybe a loan deal would be ideal, but who could we get of proven quality in a loan deal? The alternative is to go all out on someone like Dzeko, and then once Ade is back have the two of them fight it out for the starting place, with the risk of making one of them unhappy.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jan 14, 2010 10:30 am

CityFanFromRome wrote:I share the same "fear" as John, we may be in trouble with our strikers if Roque keeps being injured and Ade takes long to sort himself out after the tragedy, we are left with Benjani, Tevez, Bellamy, Robinho, and some academy lads like Mak and Nimely.

Tevez is scoring for fun now, will he keep it up till the end of the season? If he does, all is well, but what if he stops? Bellamy can't be relied upon for playing all games, and while I've seen improvement in Robinho, he's still not at his best and we can't rely on him to be an out and out striker, Benji, as well as he has done in the last two games, is not of the required quality imho, and the academy lads could be future stars, but are we going to risk missing the fourth spot relying on them if our older strikers become unavailable?

So if I were Mancini I'd definitely look to bring a striker in, preferably one that can act as target man, which rules out Balotelli, who is one of the names I would consider if I were Mancini. Maybe a loan deal would be ideal, but who could we get of proven quality in a loan deal? The alternative is to go all out on someone like Dzeko, and then once Ade is back have the two of them fight it out for the starting place, with the risk of making one of them unhappy.

He may take the view that RSC is becoming a write-off, even if he staggers through this season. In which case no harm in buying a second target striker now, to compete with Ade. Budget allowing of course!
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum