Could It REALLY Happen?!

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Could It REALLY Happen?!

Postby Beeks » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:07 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:If we win the league, I'd probably snort 5 grammes, go mad and die in a blaze of glory emptying my AK at the swamp

5 grammes?

Pah...this will be me if we win the league....

Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby john68 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:07 pm

I genuinely think there is a generation thing going on here.
Oldies like Burt, Gillie, and Myself and very oldies like Walshawe....:-) Seem to have had no trouble taking on board that City can win stuff. Others have been convinced, either by argument, emotion or their wish to dream and have come on board.

To some, it seems too much to actually internalise that City could possibly overtake the 3 teams above us. Arguments used are that Chelsea, Arsenal and the rags could go on runs...but we can't????

Antti
We both know you're a miserable sod....:-), whose glass is always half empty but the truth is that IT IS ALSO HALF FULL.
Life is about the journey and not the destinations. Nobody is actually saying "We WILL win the League", We are saying "We CAN win the league"...What is unrealistic about that.
Chelsea dropped 9pts in December
Arsenal, the rags and Brum have already each dropped 2pts in Feb, to add to what they dropped in December.
We have won four on the trot.
Chelsea, Arsenal and the rags have all got CL campaigns to fight and history shows that teams often drop points, partiicularly after away legs.

Going back to the journey...Do some of you get on trains and wish you were arriving before you set off? Do some of you fail to enjoy the scenery and the landscape...or the book you are reading...or just being able to have a chill...or do complain that the time on the train is wasted time?
We have just under half a season to go, and I for one am going to dream and hope and each week I am going to enjoy the dream that while it is still mathmatically possible we can win it. I am going to have a great journey...I REFUSE TO TO BE FRIGHTENED BY THE FEAR OF FAILURE.
I cannot understand why so many consider, almost out of hand and despite the evidence that we cannot do this.

BIB,
My sig is not meant to be a definitive statement about winning the League. It is meant to show that when we DID win the League our record then was similar to our record now....and no matter how you extrapolate it...you can't change history mate...WE ACTUALLY DID WIN IT THEN...Would you have spent the season shaking your head in '37 or 68. What a miserable season you would have had until the final minute of the last game...cos in '68, it went that close...and WE WON IT....and became CHAMPIONS.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby ENIAM NAM » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:12 pm

john68 wrote:I genuinely think there is a generation thing going on here.
Oldies like Burt, Gillie, and Myself and very oldies like Walshawe....:-) Seem to have had no trouble taking on board that City can win stuff. Others have been convinced, either by argument, emotion or their wish to dream and have come on board.

To some, it seems too much to actually internalise that City could possibly overtake the 3 teams above us. Arguments used are that Chelsea, Arsenal and the rags could go on runs...but we can't????

Antti
We both know you're a miserable sod....:-), whose glass is always half empty but the truth is that IT IS ALSO HALF FULL.
Life is about the journey and not the destinations. Nobody is actually saying "We WILL win the League", We are saying "We CAN win the league"...What is unrealistic about that.
Chelsea dropped 9pts in December
Arsenal, the rags and Brum have already each dropped 2pts in Feb, to add to what they dropped in December.
We have won four on the trot.
Chelsea, Arsenal and the rags have all got CL campaigns to fight and history shows that teams often drop points, partiicularly after away legs.

Going back to the journey...Do some of you get on trains and wish you were arriving before you set off? Do some of you fail to enjoy the scenery and the landscape...or the book you are reading...or just being able to have a chill...or do complain that the time on the train is wasted time?
We have just under half a season to go, and I for one am going to dream and hope and each week I am going to enjoy the dream that while it is still mathmatically possible we can win it. I am going to have a great journey...I REFUSE TO TO BE FRIGHTENED BY THE FEAR OF FAILURE.
I cannot understand why so many consider, almost out of hand and despite the evidence that we cannot do this.

BIB,
My sig is not meant to be a definitive statement about winning the League. It is meant to show that when we DID win the League our record then was similar to our record now....and no matter how you extrapolate it...you can't change history mate...WE ACTUALLY DID WIN IT THEN...Would you have spent the season shaking your head in '37 or 68. What a miserable season you would have had until the final minute of the last game...cos in '68, it went that close...and WE WON IT....and became CHAMPIONS.

That may well be the case John, but the question was, can we win the domestic treble. Given that it has never been done, it probably makes the doubters in the thread more realistic than pessimistc!
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby john68 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:34 pm

WHAT ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS...Since when was pessimism ever more realistic than optimism?

...and just because it had never been done before.....
In 1938, No team, as reigning Champions had been relegated.....City did it first.
In 1970, No team had ever won a domestic and European trophy in one season...City did it first.
So what's your point?

It was impossible to climb Everest, or circumnavigate the World without dropping off the edge or go through a complete season without losing a game or win a domestic/European treble, or run a sub four minute mile, or run 100yards in less than 1o seconds, or travel to the Moon...should I go on?
BUT SOME FUCLER DID IT....SO WHY IS IT POSSIBLE FOR OTHERS ...But NOT city????

It is not City that is the problem but the refusal to break down the mental block that CITY AWAYS FAIL>>>>WE DON'T!!!!!
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:37 pm

john68 wrote:WHAT ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS...Since when was pessimism ever more realistic than optimism?

In 1938, No team, as reigning Champions had been relegated.....City did it first.
In 1970, No team had ever won a domestic and European trophy in one season...City did it first.
So what's your point?

It was impossible to climb Everest, or circumnavigate the World without dropping off the edge or go through a complete season without losing a game or win a domestic/European treble, or run a sub four minute mile, or run 100yards in less than 1o seconds, or travel to the Moon...should I go on?

It is not City that is the problem but the refusal to break down the mental block that CITY AWAYS FAIL>>>>WE DON'T!!!!!

John, someone needs to hire you as motivational speaker for companies!
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby ENIAM NAM » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:37 pm

john68 wrote:WHAT ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS...Since when was pessimism ever more realistic than optimism?

So what's your point?

FFS. The question was can we win the domestic treble. My answer is NO. Lets look at this thread in May and see how pessimistic I am being.
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Piccsnumberoneblue » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:38 pm

I find it difficult to concentrate on my book when I'm on a train journey!
Last edited by Piccsnumberoneblue on Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
City and sniffing knickers.
Come on Blues.
Piccsnumberoneblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Us

Postby john68 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:42 pm

ENIAM NAM wrote:

So what's your point?

FFS. The question was can we win the domestic treble. My answer is NO. Lets look at this thread in May and see how pessimistic I am being.

If the question was WILL WE?...I could understand your answer.
The question is CAN WE?...Why do you discount even the possibility that we can?

I don't know if we WILL....BUT I AM FUCLIN CERTAIN THAT WE CAN.
john68

Postby Beeks » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:45 pm

Obviously in THEORY it could happen...in THEORY Area 51 is full of Aliens

In reality...we MIGHT and I say MIGHT win a cup and take 4th...I would be absolutely over the moon if this is the case

Anything more and it is an absolute bonus i'd be happy to take
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby CityFanFromRome » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:46 pm

ENIAM NAM wrote:

Well you said it yourself, the question is if we can, not if we will. So whether we do it or not, it doesn't matter for the question, what matters is, is our team strong enough to have the chance to do it? In my opinion YES. From this to actually do it, there's a lot of road to cover, but the possibility is there.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Lee_R » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:27 pm

If we'd of beaten Bolton, Hull and Burnley (which we definately should of) we'd be a point behind Chelsea now... is that realistic?.. Its FACT.
There is absolutely no reason why we can't win the lot!
In the league if the rags, Chelsea or Arsenal were 7 points behind the leaders we would still say they have a good chance of winning it. I think its time to be a bit more optimistic boys.. get with the program! I know were not used to winning things and some of you are a bit outside your comfort zone but ffs...! And I dont understand people who predict we might only get to the FA cup semis.. whats the point in that at all?! Anything can happen in a semi so why not just have a little faith and be optimistic we have a good squad so can go for the lot. We CAN actually beat anyone you know!? We beat Barca in August ffs and since then weve beat Chelsea, Arsenal and the Rags were given as much time as they needed.
My missus hates gambling but suggested I should put a 5er on us winning the treble... hmmm.
Lee_R

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: David White

Postby Beeks » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:51 pm

I'm quite shocked at the amount of rag fans who think we can do it

check this out

http://www.redcafe.net/f7/can-city-moun ... ge-282133/
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:58 pm

Lee_R wrote:If we'd of beaten Bolton, Hull and Burnley (which we definately should of) we'd be a point behind Chelsea now... is that realistic?.. Its FACT.
In the league if the rags, Chelsea or Arsenal were 7 points behind the leaders we would still say they have a good chance of winning it. I think its time to be a bit more optimistic boys.. get with the program! I know were not used to winning things and some of you are a bit outside your comfort zone but ffs...! And I dont understand people who predict we might only get to the FA cup semis.. whats the point in that at all?! Anything can happen in a semi so why not just have a little faith and be optimistic we have a good squad so can go for the lot. We CAN actually beat anyone you know!? We beat Barca in August ffs and since then weve beat Chelsea, Arsenal and the Rags were given as much time as they needed.
My missus hates gambling but suggested I should put a 5er on us winning the treble... hmmm.

lee you cannot start a sentence with IF and end it with FACT. the two dont go together. WE DIDNT WIN THEM FACT!
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby london blue 2 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:00 pm

Lee_R wrote:If we'd of beaten Bolton, Hull and Burnley (which we definately should of) we'd be a point behind Chelsea now... is that realistic?.. Its FACT.

Lee if we'd have won every game last year we'd be champions FACT. I don't see your point.

yes it's possible, not really probable but either way i'd rather us humbly go about about our job without giving people ammunition to take the piss if we do trip up along the way.

COME ON CITY YOU CAN DO IT!
london blue 2
Paul Power's Tash

Postby JB » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:23 pm

Wonderwall wrote:

lee you cannot start a sentence with IF and end it with FACT. the two dont go together. WE DIDNT WIN THEM FACT!

Sorry to be a pedant KK, but using 'if' doesn't prevent you from using fact at the end of a sentence. The first and second conditionals refer to hypothetical situations which can remain factual within a hypothetical or theoretical context. It is a mathematical fact that if we had won those games we would now be a point behind Chelsea. Can we win the league? The FA Cup? The League Cup? As we are still in both cup competitions and and only 7 points behind the leaders of the EPL with 18 games to go, why not?

I'm going to enjoy the ride.
JB
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

My favourite player is: Neil Young!

Postby Wonderwall » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:26 pm

JB wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:

Sorry to be a pedant KK, but using 'if' doesn't prevent you from using fact at the end of a sentence. The first and second conditionals refer to hypothetical situations which can remain factual within a hypothetical or theoretical context. It is a mathematical fact that if we had won those games we would now be a point behind Chelsea. Can we win the league? The FA Cup? The League Cup? As we are still in both cup competitions and and only 7 points behind the leaders of the EPL with 18 games to go, why not?

I'm going to enjoy the ride.

why are you apologising to KK? Its a fact that you are indeed being pedantic
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Kladze » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:40 pm

For those experiencing F.L.O.P. (Failure of Long Optimism Potential) may I suggest they try looking at the next game and asking "Can we win this game, or at least take a draw from it being as it's an away game at a difficult venue?"

The answer needs to be yes ....

Now ask that question of each subsequent game and the answer - every time - needs to be yes.

In that case the answer to the question John68 and Burt are asking is necessarily "Yes we CAN do it".

If we the fans find it hard to believe and transmit that apprehension to the players then it will be twice as hard for the players to believe.

So now you're gonna believe uussssssssssssssssss
(Altogether now - go on, you know you can do it)

You should now be affected by Success of Long Optimism Potential ;- )
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Burt » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:41 pm

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhh shipmates!

Cap'n Burt is back!

Wonderful to see more and more people on ere willing to at least believe that anything is possible and very interesting to read the devilworshipper and dipper links both agreeing that we can win the League at least. If they are are thinking it, then why da fucl aint some of you jumpin on board our vessel of merry men?

As I said earlier, if the team get wind of the fact that us fans think that we can win then this will only help to confirm their own beliefs and help us to get stronger and stronger and stronger. Other teams, especially the big boys will sense this and we can win games before a ball has even been kicked if we continue this tidal wave of positiveness. That shower of shite over the road have been doing it for years but now they are experiencing doubts and fears. This helps to feed us and make us stronger still.

Splice the mainbrace me hearties and shiver me timbers I'll be fucled if we don't give this our best shot.

There's free rations of grog and barrells of Holts gary glitter for all you scurvy seadaaarrrrrrrrrgs if you jump aboard and man the cannons.

The jolly roger is blowing in the breeze and we're settin full sail ahead to gun down those pesky devilworshippers and cock a knee fly boys.

Me cutlass is at the ready and me musket's clean an dry.

Arrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt

Postby john@staustell » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:16 pm

Burt - you been on another lunchtime session?
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Burt » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:25 pm

john@staustell wrote:Burt - you been on another lunchtime session?

Nahhh mate, only 3 pints o Boddies.
You can beat an egg but you can't beat a fuclin good sherman tank
Burt

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum