Mancini rules out midfield duo

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Mancini rules out midfield duo

Postby Vhero » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:08 pm

Stephen Ireland and Patrick Vieira will both be missing from City's midfield for the difficult Barclays Premier League trip to Everton tomorrow.

New manager Roberto Mancini knows that the visit to Goodison Park will be the toughest challenge yet to his 100 per cent record as Blues boss with four successive victories.

But playmaker Ireland, who has been ruled out for two weeks by a hamstring injury, will not be considered although he has a chance of playing in Tuesday's Carling Cup derby semi-final.

New signing Vieira, who arrived from Mancini's old club Inter Milan last week nursing a damaged calf, is now pencilled in for a possible debut at Scunthorpe in the FA Cup fourth round.

On the plus side, England Under-21 star Nedum Onuoha is back in full training and jostling for a place on the bench at Everton, with left-back Wayne Bridge on the verge of a return to training.

Mancini said: "Everton are playing very well now. They started the season so-so but I watched the game at Arsenal last week and they played very well. It will be a hard game for us.

"It's important that we play well and improve game after game, and then we can look at the table. Six or seven teams can get in the top four and there's a long way to go, 18 games for us.

"At the moment there are three teams who can win the title - Chelsea, Manchester United and Arsenal, but football is strange. It can change in a month. Now it's three, but it can change."

Mancini, who declared himself a Robinho fan on becoming manager last month, said it was "possible" that the mercurial Brazilian would play at Everton and in the semi-final first leg.

Robinho missed the FA Cup win at Middlesbrough but came off the bench against Blackburn. City's boss said: "In attack I have five or six players and I feel sorry for them when I have to decide."

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/20 ... dfield-duo

Confirmed.. ack move this to the other topic please meant to click reply not new topic..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Re: Mancini rules out midfield duo

Postby Blueboylewis » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:22 pm

Not to bad a loss really as we have good cover in midfield and upfront and should still be capable of beating everton. We will still have a strong team and a strong team that hopefully puts in a good performance.
Blueboylewis
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Re: Mancini rules out midfield duo

Postby Biamp » Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:24 pm

I really hope Ireland will be fit to play in the semi-final.
Biamp
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Return to The Maine Football forum