Saturday's B*ll*x

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Saturday's B*ll*x

Postby Chinners » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:31 am

Can Man City’s Micah Richards finally live up to his billing?
Roberto Mancini has only been in Manchester for a month and he is already proving he is the man for the job. The Italian has added a sense of conviction to the Manchester City side and has succeeded in many of the areas that his predecessor Mark Hughes failed. Carlos Tevez appears a new man, having netted 10 goals in his last 7 games and even misfits Benjani and Roque Santa Cruz have found a new lease of life under the former Inter Milan boss. However, Mancini’s greatest accomplishment so far has to be the rejuvenation of the City defence, and in particular the rebirth of Micah Richards.

Behind Tevez, Richards has been the outstanding performer under Mancini and his performance against Blackburn Rovers on Monday was again, only eclipsed by Tevez. Before Mancini’s arrival Richards had experienced a dip in form and although he was still steadily improving as a player, many had begun to doubt whether he would fulfil the potential he had shown in the early stages of his career.
Still only 21, Richards burst onto the Manchester City scene at the age of 17 under the guidance of Stuart Pearce and quickly cemented his place as a member of the City first team. The youngsters form was so impressive that he was widely tipped as England’s long term replacement to Gary Neville and he gained his first England cap in a friendly against the Netherlands aged just 18 years old. Richards has recently shown signs of regaining the form that saw so much hype surround him and the 21 year old has admitted that he owes much of this to Mancini, who reinstalled Richards self-belief. Richards said: “He told me that I was a good player but that if I listened and learned he would turn me into a great player. Those words were really encouraging but I know that it is down to me to work hard. I keep saying it but I am still young. I know I had a dip in form last season but I believe that I have been better this time around and in recent weeks I have done okay. All I am concentrating on at the moment is playing well, winning games and staying in the side when the injured players come back.”
For an example of Richards recent rebirth there is no need to look further than Mondays Premier League encounter with Blackburn. Although Carlos Tevez stole the show with a sensational hat-trick, the pick of the bunch was still Richard’s goal. The defender picked the ball up in his own half and drove at the Blackburn defence who were helpless as the England international passed 5 Rovers players before picking a perfect pass to Benjani who struck the post, only for Richards to tap in the rebound. The right back deserved his luck as he was unselfish in picking the correct pass for the former Portsmouth striker and continued his run to finish the job at the back post. Richards is just one of the players that Mancini has rejuvenated and the Italian Job is well under way at Eastlands as Manchester City continue their charge up the table. It has not just been the results of late that have impressed but the manner in which City have performed. Whilst they sometimes looked questionable and were often found wanting under Hughes, they now seem efficient and professional under the tutelage of Mancini. It is something that can also be applied to Richards, who not only looks a better player, but is also showing the excitement in his play that gained his reputation as an 18 year old. A late surge to displace Glen Johnson in South Africa? I wouldn’t rule it out.

CSKA winger Krasic seeks United or Arsenal move after snubbing Manchester City
CSKA Moscow winger Milos Krasic has rejected an approach from Roberto Mancini's Manchester City, saying he only wants to join either Manchester United or Arsenal.
The Serbia international impressed in both group games against United in the Champions League earlier this season with the lively schemer scoring in the 3-3 draw at Old Trafford.
Several of Europe's top sides sent scouts to watch the 25-year-old, who can play down the right hand side or as an attacking midfielder, but City were the first ones to make a strong inquiry.
Despite having only one year left on his contract in the Russian capital, City were taken aback by CSKA's £15million valuation but their efforts seem to be in vain as he has made it clear to his advisers he only wants to join United or Arsenal.
United have interest but are weighing up other options, while Arsenal have said they would have to sell players before being able to match CSKA's valuation

CHELSEA and Manchester City have stepped up their efforts to sign Palermo star Simon Kjaer.
The 20-year-old Denmark centre-back is one of the hottest properties in Europe.
Scouts from Eastlands and Stamford Bridge watched Kjaer in Palermo’s 2-0 Italian Cup defeat against Lazio on Thursday night.
Palermo previously insisted that Kjaer, who is reported to have an £11m release clause, won’t be leaving until the summer at the earliest. But Italian bosses Roberto Mancini and Carlo Ancelotti are ready to test the Serie A side’s resolve to keep him. Kjaer is understood to prefer to stay in Italy until the end of the season to safeguard his hopes of playing in the World Cup.
Manchester United and Liverpool are also interested but mega-rich City and Chelsea’s spending power puts them in pole position.

TRANSFER BOLLOX
Steven Gerrard is unhappy with Liverpool's latest plight and is keen on a move to Real Madrid or AC Milan if things don't improve quickly. A source close to the 29-year-old midfielder said: "Stevie knows time is running out if he wants to win more honours."
Daily Star

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez says he's not going anywhere, and he is also keen on swapping winger Ryan Babel for Sunderland striker Kenwyne Jones. Babel, 23, has struggled to make the first XI following his £11.5m move from Ajax in 2007.The Sun

Sunderland winger Kieran Richardson has been offered for sale to Tottenham, Birmingham and Fulham. The 25-year-old moved to the Stadium of Light from Manchester United for £6m three years ago. The Times

Celtic manager Tony Mowbray has branded suggestions that £8m may be enough to take Aiden McGeady from Celtic to the Premier League as "ridiculous".The Guardian

CSKA Moscow winger Milos Krasic has rejected an approach from Roberto Mancini's Manchester City, saying he only wants to join Manchester United or Arsenal.Daily Mail

Spanish side Real Zaragoza have joined the chase for Arsenal defender Philippe Senderos. Bayern Munich, Cagliari and Atletico Madrid are also interested in the 23-year-old who wants to stay in the Premier League.Daily Mirror

WAG OF THE DAY - Raquel del Rosario
http://www.thespoiler.co.uk/index.php/2 ... el-rosario

OTHER BOLLOX
Italian side Juventus are keeping an eye on events at Anfield amid speculation that Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez may soon be relieved of his duties. Former Italy striker Roberto Bettega, who has just moved into the Juve boardroom, is a close friend and admirer of Benitez. Daily Mail

Despite everybody suggesting it's a matter of when, and not if, Benitez will leave Anfield, the Spaniard has vowed to remain as Liverpool boss until 2014. "Inside, I am as strong as ever," he said.The Sun

Russia coach and former Chelsea boss Guus Hiddink has revealed that he would be keen to manage in England again, adding weight to the rumour that he will succeed Benitez at Liverpool.Daily Mail

Meanwhile, Fulham manager Roy Hodgson has played down rumours linking him with the Liverpool manager's job. Daily Mirror

Portsmouth keeper David James is believed to be concerned that the collapse of his proposed move to Stoke could affect his prospects of being selected for England's squad for this summer's World Cup as Portsmouth may decide not to play him in order to avoid triggering a clause in his contract.The Guardian

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has told Michael Owen that he will get more games over the coming months after starting the striker only once since his Champions League hat-trick at Wolfsburg almost six weeks ago.The Guardian

At the age of 39 years and 79 days Edwin van der Sar will become Manchester United's oldest post-war player if he plays against Burnley. The Dutch keeper has been on compassionate leave since the end of December. The Guardian

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger believes Sol Campbell could play his way back into the England squad for the World Cup in South Africa this summer. Daily Mail

Alex McLeish is ready to commit his long-term future to Birmingham City by agreeing a new contract at St Andrew's. Daily Mail

St Mirren manager Gus MacPherson believes that the cash-strapped SPL has become little more than a feeder league for England's lower divisions and he can only envisage that state of affairs worsening in the immediate future. Daily Telegraph

Championship side Cardiff have begun talks over a new contract with highly-rated Adam Matthews as Manchester United and Arsenal keep an eye on proceedings over the 17-year-old left-back.Daily Mail

England and LA Galaxy midfielder David Beckham, on loan with AC Milan, plans to hang his boots up after the World Cup and return to Britain. A friend of the 34-year-old, says: "His mind is made up. He wants to walk away to be a dad." (The Sun)

or Sources close to David Beckham have described reports claiming the England midfielder is set to retire after this summer's World Cup as "nonsense". (Press Association)
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Re: Saturday's B*ll*x

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:51 am

Makes me laugh how some second rate bags of shite try to use us as a swing for more money. Like we ever were after Krasic when we have five times better players in his position. Ridiculous and embarrasing. This has been going on for a while now.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Chinners » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:49 am

Totally agree, it'll get even worse come the summer window!
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Vhero » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:57 pm

Chinners wrote:Totally agree, it'll get even worse come the summer window!

Indeed but we don't care as we will get who we think are best for the team and that's that.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Return to The Maine Football forum