5th In The League; Semi-Final Of Carling Cup; Only 3 Defeats

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: 5th In The League; Semi-Final Of Carling Cup; Only 3 Defeats

Postby lets all have a disco » Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:56 am

Saturday's defeat was the worst display of the year,at least against spuds we played some decent stuff.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby Bingo Lewis » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:01 am

I said at the start of the season, if we finish in top 5 I'll be happy. I'm happy.
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:20 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
This injury/players being away on international duty, is hitting us hard though as well. I looked at our bench and there weren't too many options. I'm sure Mancini knew that what we needed was to change one the central midfielders and get some aggression on the pitch, but who could he throw in there?

hindsight is a wonderful thing, but bringing boyata in and pushing Kompany into midfield might have worked?

Or Nedum. It did cross my mind. That said, if Nedum isn't fully fit it might have turned into disaster. I wouldn't have thrown Boyata in though. Too rough game for a youngster imo. Cahill would've eaten him alive with those late runs and nasty kicking and elbowing.

true :-(

Also, I noticed how everton were very good at countering the Zonal system. They took the corner with pace and landed it on the 6 yard line knowing given doesnt like to come out and catch. This meant everton stole the march on us and attacked the ball with a run at it, where we were just static?! Time to mix things up Roberto.

That's the problem with it & the difference between PL managers & those from abroad. The biggest danger was Fellaini moving around unmarked in the midst of it. Joe Royle was on that one immediately on commentary but we didn't counter it all game although I've been saying for years that as a team we're too small/weak in the air anyway so we're limited to how much we can do. Even when players have been given jobs to do in a man marking system they've still been beaten by their opponents. Fletcher v Barry being a prime example.

People thought Mancini was joking when he mentioned one of Vieira's assetts was that he's big & can head the ball but I think he's deadly serious.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby dikdik » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:37 am

Actually thought we looked very good until Santa Claus went down injured putting his socks on. Then I think Mancini made a mistake not replacing like for like with Benjani.

The dynamics of the team were radically changed after Robinho came on, not to mention the work ethic. Brilliant as he is I'm afraid I cannot see a Tevez like commitment ever coming from this player and I think painful as it would be the time has come to move him on.
dikdik
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:57 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:I said at the start of the season, if we finish in top 5 I'll be happy. I'm happy.

Exactly the same mate. I said that target was 5th with a push for top four. I think we are pushing for top 4 and are fifth, so very much where I expected us to be. League Cup Semi's as added bonus.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:00 am

Ted Hughes wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:
This injury/players being away on international duty, is hitting us hard though as well. I looked at our bench and there weren't too many options. I'm sure Mancini knew that what we needed was to change one the central midfielders and get some aggression on the pitch, but who could he throw in there?

hindsight is a wonderful thing, but bringing boyata in and pushing Kompany into midfield might have worked?

Or Nedum. It did cross my mind. That said, if Nedum isn't fully fit it might have turned into disaster. I wouldn't have thrown Boyata in though. Too rough game for a youngster imo. Cahill would've eaten him alive with those late runs and nasty kicking and elbowing.

true :-(

Also, I noticed how everton were very good at countering the Zonal system. They took the corner with pace and landed it on the 6 yard line knowing given doesnt like to come out and catch. This meant everton stole the march on us and attacked the ball with a run at it, where we were just static?! Time to mix things up Roberto.

That's the problem with it & the difference between PL managers & those from abroad. The biggest danger was Fellaini moving around unmarked in the midst of it. Joe Royle was on that one immediately on commentary but we didn't counter it all game although I've been saying for years that as a team we're too small/weak in the air anyway so we're limited to how much we can do. Even when players have been given jobs to do in a man marking system they've still been beaten by their opponents. Fletcher v Barry being a prime example.

People thought Mancini was joking when he mentioned one of Vieira's assetts was that he's big & can head the ball but I think he's deadly serious.

I'm not sure. We had problems with him last season as well. Especially in home game that we lost 0-1.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:31 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:I'm not sure. We had problems with him last season as well. Especially in home game that we lost 0-1.

I was meaning in general, a lot of the managers who come over here from abroad end up being 'done' at set pieces particularly with 'zonal' marking & some, like Houllier & Benitez struggle to sort it out no matter how long they're here. Managers like Moyes & O'Neil base 90% of their game on power, aerial strength & set pieces & if you're not used to it you have to adapt quickly. Funnily enough, Dunga is doing a lot of it with Brazil now!

I actually think this system will work with a couple of markers thrown in & RSC missing was a blow Saturday . Hughes' problem was that in man marking the markers still got outmuscled/jumped or in Zabba's case they just ran away from him. We've been weaker than the oppo. Individually we've been lacking as well as collectively. Micah was destroyed by Cahill last year & Dunne was destroyed by Lescott the year before under Sven. Lescott would really help this system though, as will Vieira imo.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Original Dub » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:36 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:I said at the start of the season, if we finish in top 5 I'll be happy. I'm happy.

Exactly the same mate. I said that target was 5th with a push for top four. I think we are pushing for top 4 and are fifth, so very much where I expected us to be. League Cup Semi's as added bonus.

I agree. We've been in this position or thereabouts all season so far and I hope we are right to the end.

I'll be happy with a push for fourth, but there'll be big decisions of we don't finish top four. Not from me of course, from the owners, because I don't believe they sacked hughes because they felt he couldn't finish top six!

That said, a cup and fifth might be enough to keep Mancini. It would be for me, I don't want to see constant changing.... I just really get the feeling that we are going balls out for a top four finish and heads could roll again if its not achieved.
Original Dub

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:41 am

Original Dub wrote:

I agree. We've been in this position or thereabouts all season so far and I hope we are right to the end.

I'll be happy with a push for fourth, but there'll be big decisions of we don't finish top four. Not from me of course, from the owners, because I don't believe they sacked hughes because they felt he couldn't finish top six!

That said, a cup and fifth might be enough to keep Mancini. It would be for me, I don't want to see constant changing.... I just really get the feeling that we are going balls out for a top four finish and heads could roll again if its not achieved.

Prime target must be to keep Liverpool below us, their implosion is a must!
Wonderwall

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:46 am

Original Dub wrote:

That's what I feel unfortunately. I'd be content with top 5 but the actions they've taken re MH has created a situation where they'll lose face if they allow Mancini to finish where Hughes was on target to do. I recon they've already sounded out his replacements for if he misses top 4 or a cup. All the usual suspects + I'd throw Guardiola in as an outsider. They're linking him to the rags but the word 'project' was mentioned around him the other day; someone's spoken to Cook.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Original Dub » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:48 am

Wonderwall wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Prime target must be to keep Liverpool below us, their implosion is a must!

Well that's a very good point mate. Even if we finished fifth and they finished 6th, the owners could be happy enough with that, because their recovery is less likely than the likes of Spurs and Villa who have budgeted for a finish outside the top four.

Good point Bob, gold star on the way !
Original Dub

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:00 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:I'm not sure. We had problems with him last season as well. Especially in home game that we lost 0-1.

I was meaning in general, a lot of the managers who come over here from abroad end up being 'done' at set pieces particularly with 'zonal' marking & some, like Houllier & Benitez struggle to sort it out no matter how long they're here. Managers like Moyes & O'Neil base 90% of their game on power, aerial strength & set pieces & if you're not used to it you have to adapt quickly. Funnily enough, Dunga is doing a lot of it with Brazil now!

I actually think this system will work with a couple of markers thrown in & RSC missing was a blow Saturday . Hughes' problem was that in man marking the markers still got outmuscled/jumped or in Zabba's case they just ran away from him. We've been weaker than the oppo. Individually we've been lacking as well as collectively. Micah was destroyed by Cahill last year & Dunne was destroyed by Lescott the year before under Sven. Lescott would really help this system though, as will Vieira imo.

Admittedly we were losing aerial battles against Everton (although we didn't concede from one) still, at least we have had men somewhere there and therabouts where header came. Earlier in the season we were conceding from headers where player was completely unmarked. Meaning, I thought we were second best in aerial battles but generally stuck to our set pieces plan.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:31 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:

Admittedly we were losing aerial battles against Everton (although we didn't concede from one) still, at least we have had men somewhere there and therabouts where header came. Earlier in the season we were conceding from headers where player was completely unmarked. Meaning, I thought we were second best in aerial battles but generally stuck to our set pieces plan.

Unfortunately I have to bugger off for a while now but if you have a vid of the game, check out Everton's 1st free kick on 14 mis 36 look at Zabba & Micah's attempt at what to most of Joe Mercer's orTony Book's team would've been a simple challenge or clearence header. If that happens that easily, you're fucked, it's just a matter of time. That should've been 1-0 & was the moment I wrote off the game.

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:57 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Ted Hughes wrote:

Unfortunately I have to bugger off for a while now but if you have a vid of the game, check out Everton's 1st free kick on 14 mis 36 look at Zabba & Micah's attempt at what to most of Joe Mercer's orTony Book's team would've been a simple challenge or clearence header. If that happens that easily, you're fucked, it's just a matter of time. That should've been 1-0 & was the moment I wrote off the game.

I'll check it when I get home mate.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum