5th In The League; Semi-Final Of Carling Cup; Only 3 Defeats

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: 5th In The League; Semi-Final Of Carling Cup; Only 3 Defeats

Postby Vhero » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:10 am

I wasn't going into yesterdays game with much expectation to be honest we still have half our first team out also which a lot of people seem to forget. Sure Mancini was getting the best out of Petrov, Benjani and Garrido. But we miss Bridge, Ade and SWP and hopefully Mancini can make them 3 even better players.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby david yearsley » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:44 am

ross.mcfc wrote:I'm relatively happy. But I have lower expectation than our board.

A few more performances like that which were in the class of last years away form and we will be looking for a new manager in the summer.

At the beginning of the season I said a semi final and top six was a realistic and achievable goal and that this would suffice - then hey presto the bar´s been raised and expectation level has gone up a notch - fickle fuclers aren´t we us footie fans?! ;0
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby viking the Odd » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:06 am

I thought we would finish 6-7th,that's still on, but all is still to play for, we are going to loose a few more games I'm affraid.
viking the Odd
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:43 am

DoomMerchant wrote:
Alex Sapphire wrote:
King Kev wrote:I'm not going to let today's performance get me too down.

On the first of November we were 4th with a game in hand and in the Quarter final of the Carling Cup (which we won). Only 1 defeat.
Ten days later Cook stated that we were "exactly on target".
When did he first talk to Roberto?
I wouldn't be feeling too chipper if I was on the playing or coaching staff

WUM Artist. You know he's been drinking.

cheers

That's not really artistic performance. Quite clumsy effort actually. Bit disappointed in that sense. I know he can do better than that.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby wolfcity » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:49 pm

We'll be 6th if Villa beat West Ham 2-0 this afternoon.

Nice post to cheer you all up!
wolfcity
Nedum Onuoha's A-levels

Supporter of: man city

Postby Hinch's 5 Fingered Salute » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:57 pm

Yes but they didn't. Thankfully Spuds, Bin Dippers and Villa all wobbled. Could have been worse!
Hinch's 5 Fingered Salute
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Shaun Wright-Phillips

Postby ant london » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:10 am

I have to say that, after having mulled over the defeat for a day or so, I am never happy when we lose (especially in that manner). But in terms of timing and ensuring that the team go into this match tomorrow after having been chastened by the coaching staff and should hopefully be fully psyched up to take the game and ram it down the scum throats
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Alex Sapphire » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:47 am

ant london wrote:I have to say that, after having mulled over the defeat for a day or so, I am never happy when we lose (especially in that manner). But in terms of timing and ensuring that the team go into this match tomorrow after having been chastened by the coaching staff and should hopefully be fully psyched up to take the game and ram it down the scum throats

on the other hand there will also have been a significant change in the thinking of the Scum squad (and especially its make weights) that if you get amongst us you can come out on top. Another win would have had them dreading stepping over the white line.
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby ant london » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:18 am

Alex Sapphire wrote:
ant london wrote:I have to say that, after having mulled over the defeat for a day or so, I am never happy when we lose (especially in that manner). But in terms of timing and ensuring that the team go into this match tomorrow after having been chastened by the coaching staff and should hopefully be fully psyched up to take the game and ram it down the scum throats

on the other hand there will also have been a significant change in the thinking of the Scum squad (and especially its make weights) that if you get amongst us you can come out on top. Another win would have had them dreading stepping over the white line.

Yep, I agree with that analysis. But my analysis is the only real positive I can take from the shitshow we were served up against the Toffees.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Fish111 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:27 am

Agree Ant, if i had the choice i'd rather lose to Everton and get a performance like that out of the way than play like that against the scum.
Fish111
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:32 am

Fish111 wrote:

Agree Ant, if i had the choice i'd rather lose to Everton and get a performance like that out of the way than play like that against the scum.

That's more or less what I said on an another topic earlier but I do also agree with what Wonderwall said in same topic, I'd prefer them turn up for every game.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ant london » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:38 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:That's more or less what I said on an another topic earlier but I do also agree with what Wonderwall said in same topic, I'd prefer them turn up for every game.

Mate I don't think you'd get any people disagreeing with you there.

However, I'd also like Rihanna to come blow me after work every day....but that too is not a very realistic expectation
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:39 am

ant london wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:That's more or less what I said on an another topic earlier but I do also agree with what Wonderwall said in same topic, I'd prefer them turn up for every game.

However, I'd also like Rihanna to come blow me after work every day....but that too is not a very realistic expectation

That's pretty much what I replied to Wonderwall in said thread.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ant london » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:43 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
ant london wrote:

What I would LOVE though....is for City to stop having these shitty off days against SPURS and fucking EVERTON. I hate both teams....anyone but these shysters would be much less painful
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:45 am

ant london wrote:
ant london wrote:

What I would LOVE though....is for City to stop having these shitty off days against SPURS and fucking EVERTON. I hate both teams....anyone but these shysters would be much less painful

Again, we are full agreement.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:45 am

ant london wrote:
ant london wrote:

i can stomach 1 or 2 not turning up and getting subbed, but we cannot sub 8 or 9 players until they change the rules
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:47 am

Wonderwall wrote:
ant london wrote:
ant london wrote:

i can stomach 1 or 2 not turning up and getting subbed, but we cannot sub 8 or 9 players until they change the rules

This injury/players being away on international duty, is hitting us hard though as well. I looked at our bench and there weren't too many options. I'm sure Mancini knew that what we needed was to change one the central midfielders and get some aggression on the pitch, but who could he throw in there?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:52 am

This injury/players being away on international duty, is hitting us hard though as well. I looked at our bench and there weren't too many options. I'm sure Mancini knew that what we needed was to change one the central midfielders and get some aggression on the pitch, but who could he throw in there?

hindsight is a wonderful thing, but bringing boyata in and pushing Kompany into midfield might have worked?
Wonderwall

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:55 am

Wonderwall wrote:

hindsight is a wonderful thing, but bringing boyata in and pushing Kompany into midfield might have worked?

Or Nedum. It did cross my mind. That said, if Nedum isn't fully fit it might have turned into disaster. I wouldn't have thrown Boyata in though. Too rough game for a youngster imo. Cahill would've eaten him alive with those late runs and nasty kicking and elbowing.

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Wonderwall » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:59 am

Wonderwall wrote:

Or Nedum. It did cross my mind. That said, if Nedum isn't fully fit it might have turned into disaster. I wouldn't have thrown Boyata in though. Too rough game for a youngster imo. Cahill would've eaten him alive with those late runs and nasty kicking and elbowing.

true :-(

Also, I noticed how everton were very good at countering the Zonal system. They took the corner with pace and landed it on the 6 yard line knowing given doesnt like to come out and catch. This meant everton stole the march on us and attacked the ball with a run at it, where we were just static?! Time to mix things up Roberto.
Wonderwall

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum