'I am not a magician' says Mancini

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: 'I am not a magician' says Mancini

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:06 am

uwe's_skyblue_duvet wrote:To be fair shirt pulling often goes unpunished in the English game, but Micah had hold of him blatantly, for quite a while. It was like 'why the hell hasn't he let go of him yet?' Definitely started outside the box though.

Exactly - that was not just a 'tug' - problem is Richards is as thick a footballer as there is - just because he has flattered for a couple of games changes nothing for me - liability
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:13 am

john68 wrote:The blame MUST rest firmly at the feet of Mancini. Players are never expected to take responsibility for playing badly.

It is Mancini's job to motivate the players and get the best out of them...He failed miserably to do that.

Tevez and Bellamy both had their worst games...a sure sign that Mancini has already either lost the dressing room...(they obviously have no respect for him) or he doesn't have a clue how to handle them.

Mancini's post match comments were very Hughes...hard work will sort it out...That is obviously not good enough.

What has happened to Given since Mancini took over? He has been shit in his last two games.

Why do we need to wait until we are dragged down even further...Mancini should go now.

Ahahah, for a moment I thought you were serious here. ;)

mcfc1632 wrote:
uwe's_skyblue_duvet wrote:To be fair shirt pulling often goes unpunished in the English game, but Micah had hold of him blatantly, for quite a while. It was like 'why the hell hasn't he let go of him yet?' Definitely started outside the box though.

Exactly - that was not just a 'tug' - problem is Richards is as thick a footballer as there is - just because he has flattered for a couple of games changes nothing for me - liability

Not this again...Micah did a stupid thing holding onto his shirt, sure, but he was not the only player below par for us yesterday so to single him out this way is a bit unfair imho.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby MUS » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:22 am

i hope we don't slip back into the sven days where if we go 1-0 down its game over and we pussy out of every strong challenge/ 50-50...

why does it seem so hard for us to find the right balance between strength and flair?

Come on mancini, now is the time to shine
CENTURIONS
MUS
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:45 am

MUS wrote:why does it seem so hard for us to find the right balance between strength and flair?

Something to do with sacking a manager almost every season?
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby david yearsley » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:24 am

Just hope there is a core of steely resolve below the charming and genial exterior - I always said that our boss needed to be a combination of a Les and a Sven - Balls and Brain if you will - apprehensive about Tues now as Ferguscum will put out his big hitters and hatchet men to test our mettle. If we crumble like yesterday it´s goodbye to any Wembley dreams. We NEED to get through to the final - the rags are only concerned with STOPPING us blotting Baconface´s copybook - R.M. seems to be a bit ambiguous about the Rob subbing saying there was nothing to read into it - maybe a way of keeping his powder dry - there was one shot of him on the touchline with an expression that ALMOST said "wtf have I let myself in for?" I won´t read anything into that just yet. I maintain the inalienable right to reserve judgement in EXACTLY the same way as I did with Hughes - all will be revealed Tues . UP AND AT EM BLUES!!!
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Dubaimancityfan » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:24 am

CityFanFromRome wrote:

And this is the pivotal point. Micah could have stripped Saha of his whole kit but if he had started it outside the box, it was a free kick, so the referee and the linesman fucked up big time there.

But as Mancio said it is not an excuse, we were poor and deserved to lose.

I've seen a lot of talk about the foul being outside the box and that it shud have been a free kick. However you have to consider that
the ref decided to play the advantage as Saha was still going forward into a good scoring positions. When Micah pulled his shirt again
inside the box, the linesman signaled and the ref decided he's had enough and correctly blew forthe penalty.
Having said that, I've never liked Marinner, many of his decisions seem always to go against us including the soft free kick for the 1st goal.
Dubaimancityfan
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Big Dave

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:33 am

Dubaimancityfan wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:

And this is the pivotal point. Micah could have stripped Saha of his whole kit but if he had started it outside the box, it was a free kick, so the referee and the linesman fucked up big time there.

But as Mancio said it is not an excuse, we were poor and deserved to lose.

I've seen a lot of talk about the foul being outside the box and that it shud have been a free kick. However you have to consider that
the ref decided to play the advantage as Saha was still going forward into a good scoring positions. When Micah pulled his shirt again
inside the box, the linesman signaled and the ref decided he's had enough and correctly blew forthe penalty.

Having said that, I've never liked Marinner, many of his decisions seem always to go against us including the soft free kick for the 1st goal.

I can see the reasoning in that, and I also think the linesman might have only seen the second shirt pulling, which happened into the box. However, the referee couldn't have missed the first shirt pulling which started outside it, and usually when a referee lets play on, if the advantage doesn't materialize he goes back to where the first foul happened, this is why I think it should have been a free kick and not a penalty.

But, either way, we deserved to lose, I just agree with Robbie Manc that going at half time 1-0 or 2-0 down is quite different so maybe the second half could have been different if we were down only 1-0 at HT. Regardless, Everton deserved the win, end of.
CityFanFromRome

Postby Spurge » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:35 am

Grob wrote:The fact that Richards held onto the shirt of Saha for what seemed like ages is the issue.

Mancini may be no magician but to show a reasonably in form everton no respect on their home ground by playing Bellemy, Robinho, Tevez and Petrov for an hour and only 2 in midfield is Mark Hughesesque management.

Whether it's about respect or not I don't know but we certainly should have matched them up in the middle of the pitch once it became clear that we were being totally over run. I thought Boyata would have come on for Robihno, Kompany would go into centre mid with DeJong and Barry. Then SWP for Petrov would have given us 5 across the middle and matched them up.

Feliani was everywhere a real quality show, but he had acres in which to do his stuff.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:42 am

Richards tugging the shirt was totally unnecessary and therefore he should get a fucking good bollocking for it. Zabaleta is a continual liability, I have lost count of the amount of stupid free kicks he gives away in dangerous situations, it was only a matter of time before someone made us pay! I would drop Zabba NOW ned is fit.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:53 am

Wonderwall wrote:Zabaleta is a continual liability, I have lost count of the amount of stupid free kicks he gives away in dangerous situations, it was only a matter of time before someone made us pay! I would drop Zabba NOW ned is fit.

As soon as the ref gave that free kick I thought "If they score from this Zabba is going to get a lot of stick on the forum", and rightly so. I found myself groaning every time he made a foul, so I definitely agree he needs to sort that aspect of his game out soon.
CityFanFromRome

Postby ross.mcfc » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:15 am

CityFanFromRome wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:Zabaleta is a continual liability, I have lost count of the amount of stupid free kicks he gives away in dangerous situations, it was only a matter of time before someone made us pay! I would drop Zabba NOW ned is fit.

As soon as the ref gave that free kick I thought "If they score from this Zabba is going to get a lot of stick on the forum", and rightly so. I found myself groaning every time he made a foul, so I definitely agree he needs to sort that aspect of his game out soon.

It wasnt just the yet another pointless foul by Zabba. I was convinced from the moment Given started lining up the wall that it was going to be a goal. Given didnt seem to know where he wanted it, and look where he is standing. There was only one spot that ball was going to the way he set the wall up but it still seemed to take him by surprise.
ross.mcfc

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:22 am

Wonderwall wrote:Richards tugging the shirt was totally unnecessary and therefore he should get a fucking good bollocking for it. Zabaleta is a continual liability, I have lost count of the amount of stupid free kicks he gives away in dangerous situations, it was only a matter of time before someone made us pay! I would drop Zabba NOW ned is fit.

I've liked Zabba in the past but he has been liability for a while now.

About Micah's shirt tugging, I was screaming at home for him to let go of the shirt. It took what seemed to be like ages. Shirt tugging goes on all the time but you tug it quickly just to get the striker off balance, not hang on to it fer a fookin minute. It's one argument to say that the move started outside the box BUT Micah let go of his shirt only to start tugging it again in the penalty box and therefore I have no arguments over it. In Wigan-Wolves game earlier in the day player was doing EXACTLY the same as Micah and Wigan got penalty +player in question second yellow card. So basically Mariner's call was right for me (although he was pretty poor otherwise all game) and it was that penalty that killed all the spirit because of it's timing that was deadly.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby zuricity » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:17 am

ross.mcfc wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:

It wasnt just the yet another pointless foul by Zabba. I was convinced from the moment Given started lining up the wall that it was going to be a goal. Given didnt seem to know where he wanted it, and look where he is standing. There was only one spot that ball was going to the way he set the wall up but it still seemed to take him by surprise.

The whole sequence of events for that first goal was a comedy of errors.

1. the foul,
2. Given setting the wall, with the two smallest on the inside positions against a right footer (granted they don't have five minutes to get organised) .
3. De jong breaking from the wall !
4. De jong / Barry not trying to head the ball.

"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Gloryhunter123 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:57 am

Why did we hire you then ?

What happend to we are going to win the league this season :) .
Gloryhunter123
Lee Bradbury's Price Tag

Supporter of: Sparky haters !
My favourite player is: Swp

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:51 pm

Gloryhunter123 wrote:Why did we hire you then ?

That was some silly supporters and even sillier players saying that crap. Mancini said it's too early for us and our aim is 4th.

This is exactly how hate campaign against Sven started. Some muppets get ahead of themselves and when things don't go as they expected ie us winning all our games, they are going to start hate campaigns.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby ENIAM NAM » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:56 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:

That was some silly supporters and even sillier players saying that crap. Mancini said it's too early for us and our aim is 4th.

This is exactly how hate campaign against Sven started. Some muppets get ahead of themselves and when things don't go as they expected ie us winning all our games, they are going to start hate campaigns.

I agree with you but how hypocritical to be criticicising an early hate campaign against a manager!
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Alex Sapphire » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:57 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:This is exactly how hate campaign against Sven started. Some muppets get ahead of themselves and when things don't go as they expected ie us winning all our games, they are going to start hate campaigns.

I honestly can't believe you have said that.

I don't remember a hate campaign against Sven, but I do remember a hate campaign, and I remember the muppets who were campaigning too
he he he he he he
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:02 pm

ENIAM NAM wrote:

I agree with you but how hypocritical to be criticicising an early hate campaign against a manager!

Meaning what? I set target for Hughes first season, 6th, and everyone seemed to agree with that. When we were million miles away from that I said it out loud. After Portsmouth 6-1 and recovering from initial shock of having rag legend in charge, I was more than ready to give him chance, similar to Mancini's situation at this stage, but after that it was bad to worse. Unlike Hughes fanatics, I was quite consistent with the targets I set and reaching them.

Exactly like under Sven. I thought top half finish was good target at that situation and he achieved that. Some people just get ahead of themselves.

Exactly the same

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Postby Original Dub » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:06 pm

Ah, I do recall a "lack of ambition" thread that many contributed heavily - including your good self.

Apparently, because hughes said we were aiming for top six, some "muppets" thought that he didn't want to go an higher than 6th. These same "muppets" now think its ok for our manager to clearly state that our aim is 4th and that we can't win the title.

And I read a post by you yesterday where you were telling us to be positive, that we are still in the running for fourth etc... but we were when we sacked the last guy and you never mentioned that....

Really really strange goings on here lately....
Original Dub

Postby ENIAM NAM » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:13 pm

ENIAM NAM wrote:

Meaning what? I set target for Hughes first season, 6th, and everyone seemed to agree with that. When we were million miles away from that I said it out loud. After Portsmouth 6-1 and recovering from initial shock of having rag legend in charge, I was more than ready to give him chance, similar to Mancini's situation at this stage, but after that it was bad to worse. Unlike Hughes fanatics, I was quite consistent with the targets I set and reaching them.

Exactly like under Sven. I thought top half finish was good target at that situation and he achieved that. Some people just get ahead of themselves.

Exactly the same

Really, really haven't got the time or inclination to trawl through old threads to prove any points. You would only argue black is white anyway.
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum