Fellaini

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Fellaini

Postby eastlandsblue » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:33 am

Thought he was outstanding yesterday against us, and as been very impressive on many occasions for the scousers.

Not sure if we need him in our squad, but it would piss Gollum up bigtime if we started sniffing around
pain i can handle, but pride hurts
eastlandsblue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Re: Fellaini

Postby Spurge » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:37 am

Agree he was class, but as I've said in another thread we gave him acres in which to play and at this level if you give a decent player the stage on which to perform he's going to hurt you.
Spurge
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Asa Hartford

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:37 am

I'm not sure we need him, but I said before the match that if we wanted to win we needed to keep both him and Pienaar quiet, and we didn't. Result, we deservedly lost.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Blue Toy » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:43 am

I don't think we should have the mentality of buying any player who plays well against us.
[center]Image[/center]
Blue Toy
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Vhero » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:43 am

He's an above average player nothing more. Not what we need now in our team as we have a few ourselves it's just a shame they decided to take a nap yesterday.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:45 am

he played very well and controlled the midfield yesterday, he also did exactly the same last season. He is a good player, but we knew this before yesterdays game and should have countered it.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby King Kev » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:17 am

Barry was shit scared of him and gave him the space to play, and he took full advantage of it!

I top class player but doesn't do it often enough for my liking.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:24 am

De Jong and Barry did sweet fuck all to try and harass him though. He had all the time in the world to do his thing. This is exactly why I thought Vieira signing was good. There's no way Paddy would've let this skinny afro-weirdo boss HIS midfield.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby King Kev » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:31 am

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:De Jong and Barry did sweet fuck all to try and harass him though. He had all the time in the world to do his thing. This is exactly why I thought Vieira signing was good. There's no way Paddy would've let this skinny afro-weirdo boss HIS midfield.
Maybe you're right mate. Maybe the boss saw deficiencies in our midfield that most of us has missed.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby eastlandsblue » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:36 am

Barry would be the player to miss out when Vieira is fit
pain i can handle, but pride hurts
eastlandsblue
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby dazby » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:32 am

I think he's an excellent player and very difficult to match up against.

Having said that, with all the players on the planet if he was our big signing I'd be a bit disappointed.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby zuricity » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:28 pm

King Kev wrote:
Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:De Jong and Barry did sweet fuck all to try and harass him though. He had all the time in the world to do his thing. This is exactly why I thought Vieira signing was good. There's no way Paddy would've let this skinny afro-weirdo boss HIS midfield.
Maybe you're right mate. Maybe the boss saw deficiencies in our midfield that most of us has missed.

Both points are valid here.

I think Mancini and Kidd had de Jong down to mark Fellaini. Unfortunately Fellaini spent most of his time in deep midfield in his own half and at times de jong appeared to have nothing to do.

I watched the game with a very canny Everton fan , who's a fair supporter and his take on Fellaini is that this season he's been knuckling down and concentrating on football, whereas last season he was a guaranteed yellow card player, always giving away niggly fouls with his elbows, or shoving , or just plain kicking players instead of going for the ball. He thinks that now that he's got one season under his belt and that the refs now know him, that he's been told by Moyes to go easy on the rough play.

I think that it's just a matter of time before Fellaini gets exposed as an average player. One things for sure , both de Jong and Barry gave him way too much respect yesterday.

However, in general City's play was poor yesterday. I think they had one eye on Tuesday's game and were quietly hoping for a draw yesterday.
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Joe Corrigan's Gloves

Postby Bluez » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:43 pm

He was excellent yesterday, that said he was helped a great deal by a lenient ref who let him get away with a lot (as for other Toffee players). They were very phsical and I cannot remember the last time city did well against a physical team
Light travels faster than sound.
Thats why some people appear bright until they open their mouth.

DISCLAIMER- My views are mine alone, and probably rubbish anyway.
Bluez

Postby ashton287 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:03 pm

i think de jong and barry pussied out and were scared to make a challenge whenever he had the ball and therefore made him look better then he is, he had the game of his life yesterday and will never play that well again. he is an everton player and that says it all.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Grob » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:07 pm

ashton287 wrote:i think de jong and barry pussied out and were scared to make a challenge whenever he had the ball and therefore made him look better then he is, he had the game of his life yesterday and will never play that well again. he is an everton player and that says it all.

Barry tried to compete but had a bad game. Fellaini was excellent as has been mentioned.

De Jong showed his limitations. Pass it anywhichway but forwards. Away from home De Jong isnt the player he is at home. Which makes him this seasons Wayne Bridge.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:36 pm

Grob wrote:
ashton287 wrote:i think de jong and barry pussied out and were scared to make a challenge whenever he had the ball and therefore made him look better then he is, he had the game of his life yesterday and will never play that well again. he is an everton player and that says it all.

Barry tried to compete but had a bad game. Fellaini was excellent as has been mentioned.

De Jong showed his limitations. Pass it anywhichway but forwards. Away from home De Jong isnt the player he is at home. Which makes him this seasons Wayne Bridge.

Robson doesn't get a shout in that honors list from last season?

we're lacking bite...but it's strange that against Chelsea's midfield at home we held our own really really well, and away to Everton we looked like crap. I'm going to have to go look at that Chelsea team sheet again...
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Grob » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:49 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Grob wrote:

Robson doesn't get a shout in that honors list from last season?

He's had his fair share of stick, i dont need to put the boot in here too
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:51 pm

What I have not seen mentioned about Fellaini is he was only that good because Cahill is a terrific midfield partner. I would have loved Cahill at City 4 years ago, one of the best midfielders in the prem IMO
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby sniffer » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:54 pm

Right we should not think to buy every player that looks good against us we should buy a player who has the ability and energy to stop them playing. Maybe that is why he has brought in vieira although it is a younger version we need long term.
sniffer
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Return to The Maine Football forum