3 games in hand

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

3 games in hand

Postby Wonderwall » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:21 pm

All of the following games will be played in the league before we play our next premier league game!

Spurs play liverpool, fulham and birmingham
Aston villa play Arsenal and Fulham
Liverpool play spurs, wolves and bolton

We could be playing some serious catch up!
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Re: 3 games in hand

Postby Ted Hughes » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:24 pm

Wonderwall wrote:All of the following games will be played in the league before we play our next premier league game!

They'll all drop points & leave us with a nice run up the table.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby ENIAM NAM » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:27 pm

Ted Hughes wrote:
Wonderwall wrote:All of the following games will be played in the league before we play our next premier league game!

They'll all drop points & leave us with a nice run up the table.

Or we will drop down the table and some people will be calling for Mancini's head despite the fact we will have games in hand and have only lost 3 games all season.

Sorry - couldn't resist!!
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:56 pm

i hate falling off the face of the fixture earth like that. i think it actually hurts more than helps, because yr literally behind and need to get caught up. All things being equal, it isn't horrible, but i'd rather be on level playing terms and not bitch around with games in hand. It's illusory.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Hinch's 5 Fingered Salute » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:04 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:

i hate falling off the face of the fixture earth like that. i think it actually hurts more than helps, because yr literally behind and need to get caught up. All things being equal, it isn't horrible, but i'd rather be on level playing terms and not bitch around with games in hand. It's illusory.

cheers

My thoughts exactly doomy, points on the board are what counts not games in hand.
Hinch's 5 Fingered Salute
Robinho's Step Over

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Shaun Wright-Phillips

Postby the_georgian_genius » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:07 pm

That's a very negative spin even if you didn't mean it to come out like that.

All of them would be very lucky to get 4 points out of all of their games, so by the time we play our next premier league game it would look like this.

4. Spurs 24 42
5. Villa 23 40
6. City 21 38
7. Liverpool 24 38

and then we play Pompey on the sunday which should be a win for us which would leave it looking like this

4. Spurs 24 42
5. City 22 41
6. Villa 23 40
7. Liverpool 24 38

Going into february in that posistion would be very rosey indeed especially with the first 3 fixtures in feb for each club looking like this

Villa
Spurs (A)
United (H)
Burnley (H)

Spurs
Villa (H)
Wolves (A)
Wigan (A)

Liverpool
Everton (H)
Arsenal (A)
City (A)

City
Hull (A)
Bolton (H)
Stoke (A)

I know who i'd rather have!!
the_georgian_genius
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:56 pm

the_georgian_genius wrote:

That's a very negative spin even if you didn't mean it to come out like that.

All of them would be very lucky to get 4 points out of all of their games, so by the time we play our next premier league game it would look like this.

4. Spurs 24 42
5. Villa 23 40
6. City 21 38
7. Liverpool 24 38

and then we play Pompey on the sunday which should be a win for us which would leave it looking like this

4. Spurs 24 42
5. City 22 41
6. Villa 23 40
7. Liverpool 24 38

Going into february in that posistion would be very rosey indeed especially with the first 3 fixtures in feb for each club looking like this

Villa
Spurs (A)
U***d (H)
Burnley (H)

Spurs
Villa (H)
Wolves (A)
Wigan (A)

Liverpool
Everton (H)
Arsenal (A)
City (A)

City
Hull (A)
Bolton (H)
Stoke (A)

I know who i'd rather have!!

point being though it plays into the mentality of the team, and you can't always say that it will be positive, or conversely negative.

I'd rather just see the fuclin team play the fixtures and earn their place rather than the mindfuck of "games in hand."

it's like if your wife "owes you a blowjob" from a bet. Good luck collecting on that. Not that it ever happens to me...i'm just saying it's like that sort of. a little. Shit might happen. it might not.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:02 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:

cheers

IM WITH YOU ON THIS...GAMES IN HAND MEANS NOTHING.......FALLING FROM THE TOP 5 BECAUSE OF THIS DOES MORE HARM THAN GOOD IMO.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby rick1894citizen » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:12 pm

Reckon Spuds and Villa will do well to take 3pts from them games but the Dippers could go either way and if they got there shit together could take 7 or maximum but hopefully with Torres, Benayoun and Gerrard out they'l carry on being shite.

Our 3 games in hand are Everton (H) Stoke (A) and who else?

Stoke away won't be easy but hopefully we'll have Ade's prescense by then, would rather be playing games at same time but hopefully it goes well and were not far off and most importanly going to Wembley.
rick1894citizen
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby Manx Blue » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:36 pm

rick1894citizen wrote:Reckon Spuds and Villa will do well to take 3pts from them games but the Dippers could go either way and if they got there shit together could take 7 or maximum but hopefully with Torres, Benayoun and Gerrard out they'l carry on being shite.

Stoke away won't be easy but hopefully we'll have Ade's prescense by then, would rather be playing games at same time but hopefully it goes well and were not far off and most importanly going to Wembley.

Bolton?
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby feedthegreek » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:49 pm

the price of success,
and if we get to wembley, no doubt another game behind.
but personally i wont give a toss if im buying a paper
on the 1st of march with mcfc all over the back
with the league cup sat proudly on the front row
of the team picture.
feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby rick1894citizen » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:06 pm

Manx Blue wrote:
rick1894citizen wrote:Reckon Spuds and Villa will do well to take 3pts from them games but the Dippers could go either way and if they got there shit together could take 7 or maximum but hopefully with Torres, Benayoun and Gerrard out they'l carry on being shite.

Bolton?

In that case il put us down for 7 and a point when we play our game in hand at Stamford Bridge after winning the cup ;o)
rick1894citizen
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby john68 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:58 pm

....On the other hand...It will give mancini more time to get his message across and iron out any problems, without it adversly affecting opur potential league position.

Because of the injuries and the potential size and strength of our squad, time is very much on our side.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby DoomMerchant » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:59 am

john68 wrote:....On the other hand...It will give mancini more time to get his message across and iron out any problems, without it adversly affecting opur potential league position.

Because of the injuries and the potential size and strength of our squad, time is very much on our side.

actually...yr fuclin right about those points Yoda. good shout. now i know why you've been doing this shit for 1000 years.

everyone else's bullshit "what might Villa do" arguments comes off like Dungeons & Dragons to me in comparison.

cheers old man. nice point.
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Blueboylewis » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:18 am

It all depends on what we do with these games in hand.

We have to capitilise if other teams slip up and we need to start again this tuesday and go on a good run of form.
Blueboylewis

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby CityFanFromRome » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:07 am

Well, I'd prefer playing at the same time, but at least we will know what the others have done, and if they drop points like it is probable, the pressure will be on them knowing we have three games in hand and that we can overcome them again when we get to play those.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby lythamblue » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:24 pm

Chill out and don't worry.

We have an experienced management team and also many experienced players who will look at this for what it is.

Mancini will issue the same old cliche's to the squad, reminding them that don't look at the table because it is not important until May. Take each game as it comes, play to win, pick up the points and provided we perform well ...... the league table will take care of itself in good time.

They will be too focused and too busy to worry about us playing catch up and a slide dwon the table because we haven't been playing won't worry them at all.

Now ..... on here though, people aren't as level headed or experienced in such matters ...... and it will be a fookin nightmare!!

Remember, this is a marathon not a sprint!
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john@staustell » Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:38 pm

More likely we can sit back and watch others flop in the meantime.

Also I think our squad is at it's weakest point right now, and should be much stronger as we get players back from injury and maybe bring in one or two.

In which case we should be better placed to catch up later in the season.

Glass half full you know..........................
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Fish111 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:37 pm

I'd much prefer to be on level terms with all the other teams around us as it means we will have a slight fixture congestion whilst playing catch up. On the other hand it will give us a clear picture of what we need to do to get back into the top four.
Fish111

Supporter of: The Citizens
My favourite player is: Bell & Silva

Return to The Maine Football forum