Bring on the derby, says De Jong

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Bring on the derby, says De Jong

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:48 pm

Nigel de Jong admits that he is as intrigued as any fan over which side Sir Alex Ferguson will field in the Carling Cup semi-final derby on Tuesday night.

Old Trafford's manager has steered the Reds into the last four by following a selection policy of playing youngsters with a couple of old hands to steady the ship.

But De Jong wonders about a re-think after the shock FA Cup third-round defeat by Leeds left them with one less trophy to aim at and also reduced the pressure on the first-team squad.

He said: "I don't know whether their manager is going to play his full-strength team or his reserves after their FA Cup misery! It's up to Ferguson, he's the manager and he knows his squad the best.

"You hear the rumours that he is going to play his strongest team after the FA Cup loss but we will have to see what happens.

"I don't think it is a sign of disrespect if he doesn't pick his strongest team. He made it clear at the beginning of the Carling Cup that he would try to rest players because other competitions were more important.

"But it is a semi-final and they are playing a derby against their biggest rivals, and we'll only see what he's thinking when we see who's on the pitch on the day.

"It's a semi-final, one of the biggest games for City in a few years, so we have to do our best to reach the final whoever it is we play against.

"People still talk about what happened at Old Trafford in the League, but that game is in the past, we don't want to keep looking back. This is a new game. We want to look to the future."

City striker Carlos Tevez goes up against old team-mate Wayne Rooney, and Nigel added: "Naturally I'll say I would rather have Carlos! He's a great player, but so is Rooney.

"Every player needs to be loved. I don't know what Carlos' situation was at Old Trafford, I'm just glad he's here, happy that he's with us. As always, I know he'll be doing his best."

from mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Bring on the derby, says De Jong

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:52 pm

Mark ( Blue Army ) wrote:
Nigel de Jong admits that he is as intrigued as any fan over which side Sir Alex Ferguson will field in the Carling Cup semi-final derby on Tuesday night.

Old Trafford's manager has steered the Reds into the last four by following a selection policy of playing youngsters with a couple of old hands to steady the ship.

But De Jong wonders about a re-think after the shock FA Cup third-round defeat by Leeds left them with one less trophy to aim at and also reduced the pressure on the first-team squad.

He said: "I don't know whether their manager is going to play his full-strength team or his reserves after their FA Cup misery! It's up to Ferguson, he's the manager and he knows his squad the best.

"You hear the rumours that he is going to play his strongest team after the FA Cup loss but we will have to see what happens.

"I don't think it is a sign of disrespect if he doesn't pick his strongest team. He made it clear at the beginning of the Carling Cup that he would try to rest players because other competitions were more important.

"But it is a semi-final and they are playing a derby against their biggest rivals, and we'll only see what he's thinking when we see who's on the pitch on the day.

"It's a semi-final, one of the biggest games for City in a few years, so we have to do our best to reach the final whoever it is we play against.

"People still talk about what happened at Old Trafford in the League, but that game is in the past, we don't want to keep looking back. This is a new game. We want to look to the future."

City striker Carlos Tevez goes up against old team-mate Wayne Rooney, and Nigel added: "Naturally I'll say I would rather have Carlos! He's a great player, but so is Rooney.

"Every player needs to be loved. I don't know what Carlos' situation was at Old Trafford, I'm just glad he's here, happy that he's with us. As always, I know he'll be doing his best."

from mcfc.co.uk

IF HE PLAYS LIKE HE DID YESTERDAY IT WONT MATTER WHO PLAYS AS HE WILL BE SHAFTED EITHER WAY !!!

CONCENTRATE ON YOUR OWN GAME NIGEL!
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:48 pm

Hope he has learned from last derby where he was raped by their sunday league midfield.

More action, less talk.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby King Kev » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:53 pm

I hate this sort of thing before a Derby game as it usually back-fires, just ask g*ry n*ville!
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:12 pm

I think the key to our success on Tuesday is Nigel, Carlos, Craig and Shaun in that order

If they bring the energy and drive we can sweep the bastards aside from the off - if Nige gets a grip of MF and breaks up their play then Barry / Stevie will perform and we will take the pressure of the defence by playing in their half
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby rick1894citizen » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:39 pm

Yesterday was shocking as usually if we've not performed atleast Nige, Carlos and Craig have put a stint in but yesterday every single player was wank and i just hope that they had one eye on this.

Not that it's excusable to do but would be a big help in getting over that attrocity (sp) if we batter those horrible scummy bar-stewards.
rick1894citizen
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby King Kev » Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:44 pm

rick1894citizen wrote:Yesterday was shocking as usually if we've not performed atleast Nige, Carlos and Craig have put a stint in but yesterday every single player was wank and i just hope that they had one eye on this.

Not that it's excusable to do but would be a big help in getting over that attrocity (sp) if we batter those horrible scummy bar-stewards.
I think you're right mate. In my opinion nobody was at their best yesterday and I can only assume (and hope!) that this was because they were saving themselves for Tuesday.

Having said that, if this is the case it is not good enough. The players should not be picking and choosing which games they turn up for and this needs to be addressed by the management team immediately.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

My favourite player is: Silva

Postby Grob » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:14 pm

I wish De Jong would learn to pass the ball forwards.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Dunne's Half-Time Pint » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:19 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Hope he has learned from last derby where he was raped by their sunday league midfield.

More action, less talk.

he was our best player first half. second half they played round him.
All we are saying is give Doug a pass.
Dunne's Half-Time Pint
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby rick1894citizen » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:22 pm

King Kev wrote:
rick1894citizen wrote:Yesterday was shocking as usually if we've not performed atleast Nige, Carlos and Craig have put a stint in but yesterday every single player was wank and i just hope that they had one eye on this.

I think you're right mate. In my opinion nobody was at their best yesterday and I can only assume (and hope!) that this was because they were saving themselves for Tuesday.

Having said that, if this is the case it is not good enough. The players should not be picking and choosing which games they turn up for and this needs to be addressed by the management team immediately.

Its not right atall if thats whats happened but hopefully Mancini can get them fired up for every single game here on in as although losing at goodison isn't the end of the world but being so guttless is inexcusable against anyone.

Personally think yesterday we should of put Benjani on for RSC (know he's not good but atleast attempts to hold ball up and abit of a target) where as Robi, Bellers and Carlos are too similar apart from Robi's too soft when opponents are using tough tactics.

I just really hope we batter these fuckers even more now as we need a 2 goal advantage to take to swamp, going to be nervous as fuck for seond leg if were a goal up or worse and just hope it doesn't go to pens as i'd have a heart attack.

Anybody know if away goals count in the semis?
rick1894citizen
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: MCFC

Postby carl_feedthegoat » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:22 pm

Grob wrote:I wish De Jong would learn to pass the ball forwards.

RATHER THAT THAN HOOF THE BALL UPFIELD ALA DUNNE(EVEN NED) TO THE OPPOSING TEAM.

BUT I AGREE ,IT IS ANNOYING THAT HE CANNOT BE MORE ADVENTUROUS.
THEY SAY SWEARING IS DUE TO A LIMITED VOCABULARY. I KNOW THOUSANDS OF WORDS, BUT I STILL PREFER "FUCK OFF" TO "GO AWAY"
carl_feedthegoat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Man City

Postby Original Dub » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:57 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:Hope he has learned from last derby where he was raped by their sunday league midfield.

More action, less talk.

WUM

We've been through this and it was roundly pointed to you that you were very wrong for your abuse of the player, as he was superb first half. The fact that the United team were camped in our half for the second half was more to do with the fact that we didn't press as a team, not because of one player.

You'd be best off leaving it alone, you've made enough of a tool out of yourself for one day I think.
Original Dub

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:08 pm

Original Dub wrote:

More action, less talk.

WUM

We've been through this and it was roundly pointed to you that you were very wrong for your abuse of the player, as he was superb first half. The fact that the U***d team were camped in our half for the second half was more to do with the fact that we didn't press as a team, not because of one player.

You'd be best off leaving it alone, you've made enough of a tool out of yourself for one day I think.

He's on a roll though :) Sunday league midfield , priceless
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby mcfc1632 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:10 pm

Original Dub wrote:

More action, less talk.

WUM

We've been through this and it was roundly pointed to you that you were very wrong for your abuse of the player, as he was superb first half. The fact that the U***d team were camped in our half for the second half was more to do with the fact that we didn't press as a team, not because of one player.

I saw that earlier and started to type a response - but thought - kin hell - that was the topic where he squirmed when people were quoting him and he made a big thing out of not quoting match threads - too much hot blood - but he did that today

Anyway - do not want to be seen as campaigning for the oppressed - just thought the site should move on after the Mancini appointment and could not believe the bullshit of starting a thread so 'sad others' could vent - when it had been NQDP that had kicked it all off

Anyway - if Nige has a top game - we win - simple as for me
mcfc1632
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Goaters 103 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:19 pm

Talk is very cheap, and after our wretched showing yesterday and our trophy drought our players need to keep their traps very much shut off the field, and let their play on the field do the talking for them.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:58 pm

Get in there Nige, get right into the rag cunts.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Postby john68 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:21 am

To answer the query.
From what I got from the commentary during the Blackburn/Villa semi was that away goals don't count as double at the end of normal time of the second leg.
Extra time would be played,
Away goals will count as double at the end of extra time.

I am not certain how goals scored during extra time would count...as only City would be able to score away goals during that. I would consider extra time goals would only count as single goals.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:41 am

mcfc1632 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

More action, less talk.

WUM

I saw that earlier and started to type a response - but thought - kin hell - that was the topic where he squirmed when people were quoting him and he made a big thing out of not quoting match threads - too much hot blood - but he did that today

Anyway - do not want to be seen as campaigning for the oppressed - just thought the site should move on after the Mancini appointment and could not believe the bullshit of starting a thread so 'sad others' could vent - when it had been NQDP that had kicked it all off

Anyway - if Nige has a top game - we win - simple as for me

you are developing a REALLY unhealthy obsession with me. That added to the fact that you think you are a spokesperson for thousands, makes of slightly worried for you.

Take it easy and don't remember to breathe.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby ant london » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:57 am

Original Dub wrote:

More action, less talk.

WUM

Nigel de Jong has been one of most impressively consistent performers.

Pretty much everyone had a bad day at the office on Saturday and, frankly, it looked just like Everton wanted it more. Nigel de Jong has to carry his share of the blame for that "performance"

As to his last derby against a "sunday league midfield". Well that "analysis" was bollocks then and remains so now.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Return to The Maine Football forum