Most important game

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Most important game

Postby feedthegreek » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:57 pm

ant london wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:My stomach is in knots...gonna be like this all day

its one of those games that part of me can hardly stand the prospect of having to watch

can't wait....but I am bricking it. The thought of losing....to them...makes me feel sick

exactly how i feel, even though ill be there with the lad praying we do em.
and if its close ive thought of switching sky on at full time
in the second leg and just checking like you do with the lottery no,s.
feedthegreek
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby steve isle of man » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:38 pm

Aye the great League Cup run of 80/81 where Allison's sheep turned into lions. No Hutch, Gow or Mac to help and thanks to injuries we usually had to put out Garry Buckley (whatever happened to him - the only other memory of him I have is a feature on his home life in the "Nationwide" City book in '78, washing the dishes/ having a toss etc). I remember we played Stoke first round and after scrimping a draw 1-1 (Tony Henry was it?) we got them back to MR and put in a first class first half where I think Bennett 2 and Henry put us 3 up at half time for a 3-0 result. Stunning from where we were in the League (winless and clueless). I remember grainy goal highlights on Granada Reports. I think we went to Luton then and won 2-1 with Henry and Bennett again netting. Then the telly 5-1 with Bennett and Tueart (with his pot on his wrist) bagging 4 and Trevor Christie (ha ha) replying, little knowing he would be a future blue hero! Then it was the big one - home to West Brom. A right tough draw. I think Phil Boyer might have been put out for his debut that night. I think we fell behind but did them 2-1 with Henry and Bennett again scoring. Then the semis. I don't think anyone would have given us much chance against Liverpool then but we matched them at MR. Worst disallowed City goal ever? Then I can still picture that Ray Kennedy goal - someone falling over centre, never a free-kick! - the quick cross to the back post and [Ray Ranson?] asleep as Kennedy ghosted in to slot it. Is that goal on the City Match of the Day tape - or have I retained total recall of it over nearly 30 years? Then the replay where I believe we battered them and Reevsey equalised a Dalglish goal. Top stuff. Broke me heart.
steve isle of man
Nedum Onuoha's A-levels

Postby Kladze » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:51 pm

steve isle of man wrote:Aye the great League Cup run of 80/81 where Allison's sheep turned into lions. No Hutch, Gow or Mac to help and thanks to injuries we usually had to put out Garry Buckley (whatever happened to him - the only other memory of him I have is a feature on his home life in the "Nationwide" City book in '78, washing the dishes/ having a toss etc). I remember we played Stoke first round and after scrimping a draw 1-1 (Tony Henry was it?) we got them back to MR and put in a first class first half where I think Bennett 2 and Henry put us 3 up at half time for a 3-0 result. Stunning from where we were in the League (winless and clueless). I remember grainy goal highlights on Granada Reports. I think we went to Luton then and won 2-1 with Henry and Bennett again netting. Then the telly 5-1 with Bennett and Tueart (with his pot on his wrist) bagging 4 and Trevor Christie (ha ha) replying, little knowing he would be a future blue hero! Then it was the big one - home to West Brom. A right tough draw. I think Phil Boyer might have been put out for his debut that night. I think we fell behind but did them 2-1 with Henry and Bennett again scoring. Then the semis. I don't think anyone would have given us much chance against Liverpool then but we matched them at MR. Worst disallowed City goal ever? Then I can still picture that Ray Kennedy goal - someone falling over centre, never a free-kick! - the quick cross to the back post and [Ray Ranson?] asleep as Kennedy ghosted in to slot it. Is that goal on the City Match of the Day tape - or have I retained total recall of it over nearly 30 years? Then the replay where I believe we battered them and Reevsey equalised a Dalglish goal. Top stuff. Broke me heart.

Yes, ridiculous decision.

That goal produced in me one of those rare moments when you become so ecstatic that a weird 'time stopping hysteria' sets in. By the time I'd recovered Liverpool had taken the free kick and were on the attack - about half a dozen City players still celebrating.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum