Most important game

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Most important game

Postby gillie » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:46 pm

In 29 years for our beloved blues i hope Mancio could do a John Bond and make the boys really believe they can get to Wembley just like in 1981 when we where massive underdogs.Discuss.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Re: Most important game

Postby Fidel Castro » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:54 pm

I really hope so. You being an old git, you've probably experienced loads of games of such importance, this is a new for me. Only realised tonight how big this game could be for us. 2-legged derby. In a semi-final. This could send me over the edge
Fidel Castro
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: City

Postby gillie » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:56 pm

Fidel Castro wrote:I really hope so. You being an old git, you've probably experienced loads of games of such importance, this is a new for me. Only realised tonight how big this game could be for us. 2-legged derby. In a semi-final. This could send me over the edge

Relax and Breathe Tommy lad lol.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Manx Blue » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:03 am

Manchini has lost at least one game. Thankfully it was at the weekend, and the pressure is off a bit. If we'd gone into tomorrow having won every game thus far, IMO the pressure would be unbearable, simply because of the opposition... So to a certain point, we are underdogs tomorrow

Back in Bond's era, he came and cobbled together his and allisons signings and somehow turned the club around in the blink of an eye. I can still remember staying up to watch sportsnight as a treat ( I was 37 at the time ;) ) to watch tueart score 4 against Notts County.

It was all gone within 3 years after bond resigned following an fa cup exit against Brighton ( from memory). I don't think we've had it so good since, and we have to capitalise on this situation and use it as a springboard.
Manx and Proud...Born on the 5th of July

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby gillie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:06 am

[quote( I was 37 at the time ;) ][/quote]
Shaun mate i am crying laughing at that.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Kladze » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:14 am

Manx Blue wrote:Manchini has lost at least one game. Thankfully it was at the weekend, and the pressure is off a bit. If we'd gone into tomorrow having won every game thus far, IMO the pressure would be unbearable, simply because of the opposition... So to a certain point, we are underdogs tomorrow

Back in Bond's era, he came and cobbled together his and allisons signings and somehow turned the club around in the blink of an eye. I can still remember staying up to watch sportsnight as a treat ( I was 37 at the time ;) ) to watch tueart score 4 against Notts County.

It was all gone within 3 years after bond resigned following an fa cup exit against Brighton ( from memory). I don't think we've had it so good since, and we have to capitalise on this situation and use it as a springboard.

It was a team of talented players totally lacking in confidence. Bond came in, signed Bobby McDonald, Gerry Gow, and Tommy Hutchinson. We played Tottenham in a home league match, Hutchinson ran the game and we won 3-1. Confidence came back to the players - it was almost tangible. Allison's team minus Bond's signings got to the League Cup semi final and were unlucky to be knocked out. I still remember Reeves' disallowed header as if it happened five minutes ago.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Manx Blue » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:17 am

gillie wrote:[quote( I was 37 at the time ;) ]

Shaun mate i am crying laughing at that.[/quote]

nostalgia all the way Gillie! Can't remember who bagged the other goal... Was it dave Bennett? Then there was the game against Narrich in the fa cup. And of course Trevor Francis the following season...Great times!

I was too young to remember the 76 team, so those three years I remember fondly, before Fucking Raddy Antic shattered everything

It's a New City...but...It's a New City which has retained its SOUL and EVOLVED - Khaldoon Al Mubarak 22/08/09
Manx Blue

Postby gillie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:21 am

Manx Blue wrote:
gillie wrote:[quote( I was 37 at the time ;) ]

Shaun mate i am crying laughing at that.

nostalgia all the way Gillie! Can't remember who bagged the other goal... Was it dave Bennett? Then there was the game against Narrich in the fa cup. And of course Trevor Francis the following season...Great times!

I was too young to remember the 76 team, so those three years I remember fondly, before Fucking Raddy Antic shattered everything[/quote]
And the kerb crawler running on the pitch in his white shoes.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Manx Blue » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:21 am

Kladze wrote:
Manx Blue wrote:Manchini has lost at least one game. Thankfully it was at the weekend, and the pressure is off a bit. If we'd gone into tomorrow having won every game thus far, IMO the pressure would be unbearable, simply because of the opposition... So to a certain point, we are underdogs tomorrow

It was a team of talented players totally lacking in confidence. Bond came in, signed Bobby McDonald, Gerry Gow, and Tommy Hutchinson. We played Tottenham in a home league match, Hutchinson ran the game and we won 3-1. Confidence came back to the players - it was almost tangible. Allison's team minus Bond's signings got to the League Cup semi final and were unlucky to be knocked out. I still remember Reeves' disallowed header as if it happened five minutes ago.

I thought Bond was in charge for the semis against Liverpool? I never got to watch those games, I was only 36;)

Manx Blue

Postby Manx Blue » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:26 am

Off to bed chaps. I need my beauty sleep. I have a sneeking feeling harry carpenter may make a bizarre appearance in my dreams tonight!

Manx Blue

Postby gillie » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:32 am

The last Semi-Final we were in i was dressed head to to toe in sky blue and white and we won.I need some sky blue trousers and some sky blue shoes to make me feel confident.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby john68 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:24 am

Going back to the original topic.
The atitude so many City fans have to this game is a sad indictment to our past failures.
The carling Cup semi is really not such a big deal in the bigger scheme of our ambitions. Yet for so long being so starved of success, for us this is massive. I look forward to a few years time when we have experienced far bigger games in far bigger competitions and we are able to take the League Cup semis in our stride.

THIS HOPEFULLY IS ONLY THE START OF THINGS TO COME...but even if we fail in this one, it is almost inevitable that very very soon,,,WE WILL SUCCEED IN SOMETHING.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby CityFanFromRome » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:30 am

John I think it's not only the fact of the League Cup semi after so long, it's also who this semi is against which makes it an event not to miss for a City fan. I dunno what I'd give to be there at COMS tonight.
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:18 am

Kladze wrote:

Me too mate, I was right behind it, north stand, middle, about level with the top of the goal. Bastard referee. Cheated again, not for the first or last time in cups.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby Feed The Goat » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:28 am

this is the biggest game in my lifetime i am 28 and not just because we play the scum cos i've seen us play and beat them. Its the biggest game cos it is a cup semi final and i have never seen one of those which is a shame. We are a big club it is time we lived up to that starting tonight and another comentator saying thats number 5.
Mcf.net best app in the land and all the world
Feed The Goat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Beeks » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:37 am

My stomach is in knots...gonna be like this all day
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Feed The Goat » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:41 am

I know that feeling IBH good job i am gettin the 11.48 train to cheadle to meet my mates for dinner and a laugh i am hoping that will sort me out.

COME ON BLUES LETS HAVE THESE CUNTS.
Mcf.net best app in the land and all the world
Feed The Goat
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Postby ant london » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:53 am

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:My stomach is in knots...gonna be like this all day

its one of those games that part of me can hardly stand the prospect of having to watch

can't wait....but I am bricking it. The thought of losing....to them...makes me feel sick
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Beeks » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:56 am

ant london wrote:
IanBishopsHaircut wrote:My stomach is in knots...gonna be like this all day

its one of those games that part of me can hardly stand the prospect of having to watch

can't wait....but I am bricking it. The thought of losing....to them...makes me feel sick

I should have booked today and tomorrow off work...sitting here watching the clock...I know when I get in the ground it's all going to be released...think there will be a few people tomorrow unable to speak as they have sang themselves hoarse haha
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby Beeks » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:26 am

I genuinely think i'm gonna be sick at this rate...feel like a coiled spring at the moment
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum