Mancini thinks away goals count

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Mancini thinks away goals count

Postby Michigan Blue » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:32 am

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but watch his presser on mcfc.co.uk and he keeps going on about 0-0 at home and 1-1 at the Swamp being enough to go through.

I remember Burnley hearts being broken in extra time last year, and in less the rules have changed, we have to beat the Filth by one clear goal over 180 minutes to go through.

I suspect Mancini will try to win both legs but this seems like an important thing to know.
"Certainly our programme is a full one, but as a player and as a manager I've always felt that there is only one way to go into a season...and that's to try to win every game.... While we are in four major competitions we shall try to win four major competitions." - Joe Mercer
Michigan Blue
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Mancini thinks away goals count

Postby Kladze » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:49 am

Away goals count double at the end of extra time in the second leg if the tie is drawn at that point :-)
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Abu Dhabi » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:10 am

Kladze wrote:Away goals count double at the end of extra time in the second leg if the tie is drawn at that point :-)

This is ridiculous tbh. Either count away goals at FT or head for penalties after extra time.

So if we drew 1-1 at the swamp, after 0-0 at home, we go to extra time, but go through if we kept it like that?
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby JonnyAsh » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:40 am

I honestly think half of what Mancini says gets lost in translation. He is obviously has a very intelligent mind for football, but most is lost when it comes to interviews. I don't think, until he gets a better grasp of the language, we are ever going to get a true feel for what is in his head, which is a pity.

On pre-match interviews such as this for the Rags, we are all used to managers getting fired up and putting their feelings accross very succinctly, but unless we learn Italian we aren't going to get this. I'm not knocking him, his English is better than my Italian, but more often than not his basic English leaves me still wanting to know what he really thinks of situations
JonnyAsh
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:58 am

This is what i got from the carling cup OS

13.5 In the Semi-Final ties, if the aggregate score is level at the end of the second game an extra half-hour shall be played. If the aggregate scores are still level at the end of extra time the tie shall be decided by goals scored away from home counting twice. If the teams remain equal after this procedure the tie shall be determined by the taking of kicks from the penalty mark in accordance with the Laws of Association Football.

http://www.carlingcup.premiumtv.co.uk/page/Rules/0,,11995,00.html
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby The Man In Blue » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:42 am

since when have the rules of the game mattered at the swamp.

we need to put the fuckers out of it tonight.
The Man In Blue
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby CityFanFromRome » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:41 am

Kladze wrote:Away goals count double at the end of extra time in the second leg if the tie is drawn at that point :-)

It's a bit unfair though, isn't it? Only one team will have the chance to score away goals in the extra time (this time it's us so it's good, but next time who knows?)
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Dubciteh » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:04 am

CityFanFromRome wrote:

It's a bit unfair though, isn't it? Only one team will have the chance to score away goals in the extra time (this time it's us so it's good, but next time who knows?)

all two legged affairs are like that for eg champs league, if both matches draw nil all, then the team in the away leg has an extra 30mins to get that away goal. away goals shouldnt count full stop in any competition.
derby day the scores were level,
then the goat was fed by neville,
silly boy should know for sure,
feed the goat and he will score!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dubciteh
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby john@staustell » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:05 am

CityFanFromRome wrote:

But if the score is 1-1 at full time in the 2nd leg, only the home team has any incentive to score. The away team - us - can merrily park the bus without fearing penalties.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Postby AlpsMaster » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:47 am

The Man In Blue wrote:since when have the rules of the game mattered at the swamp.

Precisely!!!!!
AlpsMaster
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Blue Blood » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:58 am

The Man In Blue wrote:since when have the rules of the game mattered at the swamp.

That.

We HAVE to put this to bed tonight.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Kladze » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:18 am

CityFanFromRome wrote:

I suppose it serves to balance out the fact that one team has to play the first leg at home .......... ?? :s
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby Goaters 103 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:20 am

Great as it would be to win 4-0 nowt tonight and put things to bed, it isnt going to happen in reality is it. Any kind of a win or at worst a 0-0 draw would be acceptable so we have something positive to take with us to the shit pit.
Goaters 103
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Socrates » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:54 am

CityFanFromRome wrote:

Not unfair at all, balances out the fact that the other side gets to play 120 minutes of a 210 minute tie with home advantage!
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby CityFanFromRome » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:04 pm

Socrates wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:

Not unfair at all, balances out the fact that the other side gets to play 120 minutes of a 210 minute tie with home advantage!

Yeah but then, why not go for the usual away goals rule? I mean, if the first leg ends 0-0 and the second 1-1, in an Euro competition the side who played the second leg away is through, why not do the same here? Both teams would have played 90 minutes at home and 90 away, one managed to score away and the other didn't, so the team who scored away is through. Why complicate things saying "no, let's play other 30 minutes and only then we will make the away goals count"? I just don't see the sense in it, must be too used to European competitions.
CityFanFromRome

Postby Original Dub » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:04 pm

Socrates wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:

Exactly!
Original Dub

Postby Abu Dhabi » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:21 pm

Dubciteh wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:

all two legged affairs are like that for eg champs league, if both matches draw nil all, then the team in the away leg has an extra 30mins to get that away goal. away goals shouldnt count full stop in any competition.

Wrong my friend! Away goals doesnt count in champs league after extra time. If the two ties ended with a similar result, the extra time is a new game, the winner wins it.

And whats this its fair bollocks? If we drew 0-0 at coms and 1-1 at the swamp we should be rewarded the away goals at FT, not play extra 30 minutes to sort it out, no? which is fairer???
Viva El City
Abu Dhabi
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The Citizens

Postby CityFanFromRome » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:05 pm

Abu Dhabi wrote:Wrong my friend! Away goals doesnt count in champs league after extra time. If the two ties ended with a similar result, the extra time is a new game, the winner wins it.

And whats this its fair bollocks? If we drew 0-0 at coms and 1-1 at the swamp we should be rewarded the away goals at FT, not play extra 30 minutes to sort it out, no? which is fairer???

Yeah, I agree with you mate. Either the away goals don't count, or if they do, they should count at the end of the 90 mins of the second leg like in 99% of cup competitions around the world, not after the ET.
CityFanFromRome

Postby Socrates » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:15 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:
Socrates wrote:
CityFanFromRome wrote:

Yeah but then, why not go for the usual away goals rule? I mean, if the first leg ends 0-0 and the second 1-1, in an Euro competition the side who played the second leg away is through, why not do the same here? Both teams would have played 90 minutes at home and 90 away, one managed to score away and the other didn't, so the team who scored away is through. Why complicate things saying "no, let's play other 30 minutes and only then we will make the away goals count"? I just don't see the sense in it, must be too used to European competitions.

Because it increases the chances of a side actually winning it by scoring more goals rather than by the unsatisfactory method of winning by drawing twice!
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Return to The Maine Football forum