West Ham in the Champions League in 7 Years.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

West Ham in the Champions League in 7 Years.

Postby Blue Blood » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:21 am

David Sullivan on SSN saying how they have a 7 year plan to get West Ham into the Champions League.

Now call me crazy but we've plowed 200 odd million into city and we are just about on the cusp of top 4, with 6 maybe 7 other clubs already solidly sitting in the top 6/7 places and not looking like they are going anywhere fast.

Looking at the West Ham squad now and looking at the history of the new owners, spending pennys at there time at Birmingham, i just can't see it happening, especially considering they genuinely will need to folk over 200+ million with no returns on it.

What do you lot think, can the hammers really get into the champions league in 7 years.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Re: West Ham in the Champions League in 7 Years.

Postby Wooders » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:23 am

no - put simply, we can't all be in the champs league.
Great to see the league is getting more and more competitive though

"destroying football" indeed
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby Beeks » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:24 am

Blue Blood wrote:David Sullivan on SSN saying how they have a 7 year plan to get West Ham into the Champions League.

Now call me crazy but we've plowed 200 odd million into city and we are just about on the cusp of top 4, with 6 maybe 7 other clubs already solidly sitting in the top 6/7 places and not looking like they are going anywhere fast.

Looking at the West Ham squad now and looking at the history of the new owners, spending pennys at there time at Birmingham, i just can't see it happening, especially considering they genuinely will need to folk over 200+ million with no returns on it.

What do you lot think, can the hammers really get into the champions league in 7 years.

Every new Chairman has to say that to keep the natives from getting restless...to say 7 years means they have a little breathing space from fans expectations when someone new takes over

They can subsequently lower those expectations year on year

Very clever move IMO
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Mase » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:28 am

You never know what's going to happen in football! Never thought we'd have been close to signing Kaka, sign Robson, have our top boys having meetings with Real, Barca, Ac Milan, etc.

Good luck to um I say!
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby ant london » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:49 am

Can't see that happening on the basis of the current status of the club but you never know.

I didn't think we'd be the richest club in the world 10 years ago post Division 2 play-offs

I thought that was a good interview with Sullivan. He started welling up and almost crying due to the emotion of clinching the deal.

There are significant doubts for me that Gold/Sullivan have the finances to take WHU to the Champions League. BUT they are certainly infinitely preferable owners (from a West Ham fan's perspective than....the Glazers, Hicks/Gillette and definitely Ali Al Faraj).

I am positive that they can stabilise the club and can provide more solid platform for the club to develop in a sensible and sustainable manner. I think Hammers fans would be happy with that.

Best case scenario (if you do want to go for the big prizes) is that they play a Wardle/Makin role and fulfil the role of a decent fan owner/chairman (a bit like Kenwright/Gibson..) and do the right things for the right reasons (including standing aside and letting someone with deep pockets come in if that comes along).

Other very positive stuff there was the confirmations that;

- Zola is staying (so much for Talkshite's "impeccable source")
- They want to move into the Olympic Stadium, giving the white elephant a continuing use (just like us with COMS)

oh and Karen Brady coming back onto the board of WHU as chief exec. Good news for the Hammers all round I think.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Blue Blood » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:55 am

ant london wrote:Can't see that happening on the basis of the current status of the club but you never know.

I didn't think we'd be the richest club in the world 10 years ago post Division 2 play-offs

I thought that was a good interview with Sullivan. He started welling up and almost crying due to the emotion of clinching the deal.

There are significant doubts for me that Gold/Sullivan have the finances to take WHU to the Champions League. BUT they are certainly infinitely preferable owners (from a West Ham fan's perspective than....the Glazers, Hicks/Gillette and definitely Ali Al Faraj).

I am positive that they can stabilise the club and can provide more solid platform for the club to develop in a sensible and sustainable manner. I think Hammers fans would be happy with that.

Best case scenario (if you do want to go for the big prizes) is that they play a Wardle/Makin role and fulfil the role of a decent fan owner/chairman (a bit like Kenwright/Gibson..) and do the right things for the right reasons (including standing aside and letting someone with deep pockets come in if that comes along).

Other very positive stuff there was the confirmations that;

- Zola is staying (so much for Talkshite's "impeccable source")
- They want to move into the Olympic Stadium, giving the white elephant a continuing use (just like us with COMS)

oh and Karen Brady coming back onto the board of WHU as chief exec. Good news for the Hammers all round I think.

I think they will 100% give west ham the stability they need and you are right, you could tell from his interview he really cares for the club, unlike alot of owners these days. I think champions league is out of reach for the hammers, but as my old man said to me, aim for the top and if you only make it half way you'll still have done well.
Blue Blood

Postby Bianchi on Ice » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:08 am

I am pleased for West Ham, pleased that they are giving Zola the backing. Hopefully they can put the last couple of years behind them and become another thorn in the "BIG 4's" side. They need to get busy this window though. I reckon they are 3-4 players short first eleven wise let alone squad. Good luck to them though.
Bianchi on Ice
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: warren beatty

Postby Blue Blood » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:57 pm

Im just watching the Gold/Sullivan presser on SSN.

Unbelievable stuff.

Even after this takeover by them West Ham are in bad bad shape.

110Million in debt AFTER the takeover.

70% of this seasons ticket money already gone.

60% of nexts seasons ticket money already gone.

Most of shirt money already gone to debters.

Crazy stuff!!
Blue Blood

Return to The Maine Football forum