Rooney- Offside? and Magician.

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Rooney- Offside? and Magician.

Postby Kippax » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:24 am

Hope one of you video expert peolple such as Kuwait or someone else can sort this one out for me. I am absolutely convinced that at the moment the ball was played wide in the build up to their goal, Rooney was coming back from and offside position and never made it parallel with the last defender before turning, and moving toward goal makong him at least a couple of meters offside. Tried to get a look on the press monitors at half time, but the Beeb (bless 'en) were focusing on something else in the move and kept freezing the picture a fraction after the ball was played.

Can anyone prove disprove?

Apart from that, as much as I hate the Red Twat, I thought that Rooney was exceptional last night particularly the last fifteen minutes when they had us under the cosh, think we are going to have to work reall hard to keep him quiet next wednesday.

Also, did I imagine it or did Zabaletta get booked late on for kicking the ball away, could have sworn I saw the ref wave a card, but can't find any mention of it anywhere.

Roll on next wednesday, fucl are they going to know we're there, let's lift the roof.

Kippax.

Kippax
De Jong's Tackle

Re: Rooney- Offside? and Magician.

Postby Im_Spartacus » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:31 am

Kippax wrote:Hope one of you video expert peolple such as Kuwait or someone else can sort this one out for me. I am absolutely convinced that at the moment the ball was played wide in the build up to their goal, Rooney was coming back from and offside position and never made it parallel with the last defender before turning, and moving toward goal makong him at least a couple of meters offside. Tried to get a look on the press monitors at half time, but the Beeb (bless 'en) were focusing on something else in the move and kept freezing the picture a fraction after the ball was played.

Can anyone prove disprove?

You can be offside on the first pass to one of your team-mates, then subsequently move fowrwards from that offisde position to get into a position to score/shoot so long as you were onside when the ball was played to YOU. It seems daft, as if you were not in an offside position when the ball was first played, there is an argument to say you would never have been in position to recieve the next pass.

Is that not exactly what happened at Wolves that McCarthy was going mad about?
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Crossie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:32 am

Offside is all fucked up now, its too complex and the official have different interpretations of it.
Crossie
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Vinny

Postby ENIAM NAM » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:34 am

Kippax wrote:
Also, did I imagine it or did Zabaletta get booked late on for kicking the ball away, could have sworn I saw the ref wave a card, but can't find any mention of it anywhere.

Yes he did. But only after the welsh twat Giggs persuaded the ref to get his card out!!
ENIAM NAM
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:34 am

Zabba definitely received another stupid booking for kicking the ball away, even when it was already out of play. He needs a fucking good bollocking, he should only have about 2 yellows this season, the rest are petulant things or stupid tackles that he need not make.

Also I think rooney was offside, but only the video in my head says so.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Alex Sapphire » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:42 am

Kippax wrote:I am absolutely convinced that at the moment the ball was played wide in the build up to their goal, Rooney was coming back from and offside position and never made it parallel with the last defender before turning, and moving toward goal makong him at least a couple of meters offside. T

Kippax
he was in an offside position when the ball was played, but by the time Valencia received it Rooney was behind the ball and onside throughout the rest of the move
Sorry, but that's what I see from replays
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Kippax » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:50 am

Cheers to you Alex and also John for your interpretation and analysis, it all makes sense to me now, although I have to concur with Crossie, I just don't know whether I'm coming or going with the offside rule anymore, so fucl knows what chance the lino's have of fathoming it all out. Lol.

Cheers for clearing that up guys and Zabba's booking.

Kippax.

Kippax
De Jong's Tackle

Postby TrueBlue82 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:03 pm

Re Zabba's "Booking" the match report only have de jong down as being booked for us....maybe they missed it too?
[center]Image[/center]
[center]Image[/center]
TrueBlue82
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Postby john@staustell » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:26 pm

Under the current laws I reckoned the Bellamy incident at Wolves was proved on TV to be a decision that could be onside or offside, according to the officials. IE: The ref played on because a defender cleared and therefore the next phase was entered. Not his fault it was a poor header. On the other hand he could also have blown for offside when the ball was heading for Bellamy. Both seem acceptable under the current mishmash.

I would've said under the current rules Rooney was definitely onside as once the ball reaches Valencia his previous position becomes totally irrelevant.

I know it's a grey area, but on TV every week you got so-called expert pundits who haven't a clue, they still talk as if it were the old law, and have no comprehension of this 'second phase' business.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby Wonderwall » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:32 pm

TrueBlue82 wrote:Re Zabba's "Booking" the match report only have de jong down as being booked for us....maybe they missed it too?

He definitely did not write anything on the back of the card as it was a "quick flash" of the yellow as play was continued as soon as he had it out of his pocket.

Maybe we got away with it.
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby King Kev » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:12 pm

TrueBlue82 wrote:Re Zabba's "Booking" the match report only have de jong down as being booked for us....maybe they missed it too?
I'm pretty sure that the scoreboard also showed it as a De Jong booking.
[center]Image[/center]
King Kev
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Silva

Postby ronk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:24 pm

link

They're normally spot on. Zabaleta isn't recorded as having a yellow card.
Last edited by ronk on Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Postby bernabias_right_boot » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:07 pm

I have a theory about the offside laws today.
Because officials can interpret the player's position when the ball is played as either a) offside or b) onside as not involved directly in the play, it makes it easier for refs like Riley to favour the so-called big four and ensure that they keep on winning things.

How many times have decisions like that gone against teams playing against the likes of Rags, Chelski, Arse or dippers?
bernabias_right_boot
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: CTID
My favourite player is: Carlito

Postby ronk » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:15 pm

I actually think the offside laws make far more sense this way.

You don't call offside if there's someone on the other side of the pitch who's technically offside but has nothing to do with where the ball is going and isn't effecting play. That was a real pain and disrupted the flow of the game.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Return to The Maine Football forum