Liverpool beat spurs - happy or sad?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Liverpool beat spurs - happy or sad?

Postby Wooders » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:37 pm

I'm a little concerned to be honest, I was hoping for a draw, they now move within a point of us (and spurs) although we have a game in hand.

Thoughts?
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Re: Liverpool beat spurs - happy or sad?

Postby blues-clues » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Hope we dont have to rely on the failings of others to achieve our objective.

That said in the short term it is a good result for us and for Liverpool but one result does not mean they are not in crisis. Bit of a blow for Spuds who have actually been pretty ordinary since they turned us over.

Based on the games we had against both teams Spuds are a bigger threat so all in all pleased with that result.
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby Chinners » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:47 pm

Wasn't bothered tbh, we just need to keep winning as many as possible, fuck what the others are doing at this stage.
Chinners
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: B*ll*x
My favourite player is: Kun Tueart

Postby Original Dub » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:49 pm

Well we're back fourth if we win what is presently our game in hand...

But Liverpool have taken more points from their last four games than anyone in the premier league and that to me constitutes a roll... something I didn't want Liverpool to do given their next few fixtures and the fact Gerrard will be back as will Torres soon after these fixtures.

Liverpool have more experience at getting there at the end of the season so I wanted to keep them at bay for as long as possible, but the race is well and truely on now.
Original Dub

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:51 pm

Chinners wrote:Wasn't bothered tbh, we just need to keep winning as many as possible, fuck what the others are doing at this stage.

My thoughts exactly Chinners, we just need to concentrate on are job not what others are doing.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Somerset Blue » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:25 pm

Fairly ambivalent - one or the other (or both) of our rivals was always going to drop points.
Somerset Blue
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby Beefymcfc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:37 pm

More than happy with the result. Dippers have a depleted team whilst Spuds have a massive armoury but are inconsistent (bit like 'Arry's incontinence). The Dippers have some easy games coming up, but so do we (with the infamous game in hand) and Spurs could've been 3 points ahead. Now it's just goal difference.
Last edited by Beefymcfc on Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Ted Hughes » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:37 pm

Liverpool finished last season as the best team in the PL & almost all of the same players are still there. I made this point when everyone on here was writing them off 2 months ago. So long as they're in with a shout of top 4 they're a real danger. We need them to be totally dead & buried before we write them off. Our game with them the week before we play in the final is one of our biggest games for years imo.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Postby walmai » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:47 pm

There are four teams looking at fourth, three at the top spot and just less than half still very much in with a chance of the dreaded drop. All of which makes for a season that represents genuine interest for practically any supporter.

Liverpool came second last season due to their great ability to pick up at least a point in 36/38 matches, so yr present mere three defeats augur well.

I fancy Villa to drop away first, followed by Spuds.

Shape up in defence and grind out some 1-0's. And you could do it.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby Beefymcfc » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:06 am

Ted Hughes wrote:Liverpool finished last season as the best team in the PL & almost all of the same players are still there. I made this point when everyone on here was writing them off 2 months ago. So long as they're in with a shout of top 4 they're a real danger. We need them to be totally dead & buried before we write them off. Our game with them the week before we play in the final is one of our biggest games for years imo.

And luckily for them 9like us most years), they can just concentrate on the league. Maybe there'll make the quarters of the Europa's as well?
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby john68 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 2:31 am

I don't have any particular fear of L'Pool making a late surge in the league. They have already dropped 29pts and are likely to have their good days and their bad ones too.
Spurs may have tonked us but some of that was our own doing. I see Spurs as being inconsistant and L'pool beating them at Anfield is no great deal.
A top four place is there for the taking if we can keep doing what we have been...without the odd Everton performance thrown in.

Would have preferred a draw and both clubs losing 2pts each but I am more than happy to see Spurs drop all 3pts.

On 27th Jan, Villa v Arsenal and Chelsea v Brum will see our rivals drop more points and a ferw days later, the rags are at the Emirates...As long as we can step it up, we are well in with a good shout.
I KNOW THAT YOU BELIEVE THAT YOU UNDERSTOOD WHAT YOU THINK I WROTE, BUT I AM NOT SURE YOU REALISE THAT WHAT YOU READ IS NOT WHAT I MEANT
john68
Kaptain Kompany's Komposure

Supporter of: ST MARKS (W GORTON)
My favourite player is: BERT TRAUTMANN

Postby CityFanFromRome » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:08 am

Would have preferred a draw, to be honest, but I'm not too bothered about Pool winning.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby AlpsMaster » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:52 am

On balance I was reasonably happy with that result. It stopped Spuds moving into 4th place proper and reduced their GD a bit.

I like walmai post earlier too. Always good to get a fair and neutral perspective from our pet Hammer!
AlpsMaster
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Vhero » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:07 am

Pool are no longer a worry for 4th place this season in my eyes so the more points off Spurs the better.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby salford city » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:24 am

We've got to take care of our own business, fuck the rest of them. We're going to be facing challenges that are totally new to us - having to play mid-week and weekend and get the results to stay in the hunt. As it stands we still have to fit in the Everton home game, hopefully, rearrange the Chelsea away due to other committments. Add to this the more we progress in the FA cup, the more the fixtures will increase.

Exciting times and interesting to see what Mancini does to to avoid burn-out withinn the squad
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city

Postby sandman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:09 am

Have people forgotten the poor form under Hughes, we've had our bad spell, we'll be top of the league by April.

Mark my words.
sandman
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby david yearsley » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:41 am

4th place is so important in the bigger picture now - far more important than C.C. final but we DO deserve a trip to Wembley - I´d take 4th spot over the cups right now!
The world is your oyster but your future´s a clam
david yearsley
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby Wooders » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:46 am

the reason I say it is because doesn't this happen every season? One top four team in the doldroms at christmas then has a late resurgance to finish in the top 4 - we need to be on our guards although I agree with the consensus that the team needs to focus on its own matters before worrying about everyone else.
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:54 pm

So long as that useless greek twat (whose name I cant spell) keeps playing, Liverpool will spunk plenty of points. They got lucky last night, I honestly think spurs are the bigger threat for top 4
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby CityFanFromRome » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:18 pm

johnpb78 wrote:So long as that useless greek twat (whose name I cant spell) keeps playing, Liverpool will spunk plenty of points. They got lucky last night, I honestly think spurs are the bigger threat for top 4

I believe it's Kyrgiakos.
CityFanFromRome

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum