Tevez ear-cupping celebration, the truth...

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Tevez ear-cupping celebration, the truth...

Postby hyper » Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:46 am

Either intentionally or unintentionally hilarious article, can't quite work it out... (from The Mirror)

Tevez: 'It's not revenge over United until City are in the final' - Exclusive

Carlos Tevez has defended his goading of Gary Neville and insists he has no fear ahead of his return to Manchester United next week.

Tevez and Neville were involved in an amazing spat during Manchester City's 2-1 Carling Cup semi-final first leg win over United on Tuesday. After scoring from the penalty spot, Tevez gestured for Neville to keep his mouth shut after the United skipper had claimed he was not worth the £25million City had paid for him. Neville, who was warming up on the touchline, responded by giving Tevez the finger, and could face an FA charge for the crude gesture after being caught in the act.

But Tevez, far from being repentant, defended his right to taunt Neville and said he will only feel he has revenge over United if City can make the Carling Cup final at their expense. "I never suffered a problem at United and I don't understand what was said in the papers and the gesture [from Gary Neville]," said Tevez. "My celebration always creates talk but I never want to provoke anyone. "I dedicate my joy and success to the City fans - never against the United fans. "They attacked me during the Premier League match at Old Trafford earlier this season but, for me, that's forgotten. "For me, the matches with United are not vindication because I have already demonstrated at United that I'm a professional and good player.

"I'm not worried about the reception at Old Trafford for the next game. I played in the Premier League game and that will only inspire me to do well in the second leg. "It's not revenge fulfilled because City still haven't reached the final. I think the second leg will be harder than the first game. "I enjoyed my best moment for City and I'm desperate to play and be successful in the return." City will take a 2-1 advantage to Old Trafford for next Wednesday's decisive return leg at Old Trafford where they will be aiming to reach their first cup final for 28 years.

Tevez also revealed his ear-cupping celebration for the winner against United was inspired by a cult South American TV children's puppet called Topo Gigio - a mouse with huge ears. The celebration, performed in front of the United bench, was seen as a dig at Fergie for refusing to pay Tevez's advisers their asking price to sign him permanently. But Tevez said: "The gesture Topo Giggio is not mine 100 per cent. I copied the action of my Argentina team-mate Juan Roman Riquelme and it wasn't done to create controversy.

The mouse in question:
hyper
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: The Goat

Re: Tevez ear-cupping celebration, the truth...

Postby CityFanFromRome » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:02 am

ahahah, Topo Gigio exists here in Italy too, but to be honest I would have never associated his celebration to the puppet if he hadn't come and said so.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby AlpsMaster » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:16 am

Sorry Carlos, that's a shrewd professional/political answer and I don't believe a word of it - and I don't want to either!

Obviously he can't fess up to deliberately winding the rags and Fergiescum up publicly (see Emmanuel Adebayor), and he was very careful not to do it directly in front of the rags, but I cannot accept going back to this Togo Giggio mouse celebration in the derby game, after he has been doing that arse gyrating in all his recent games, is just a co-incidence!!!!!!

Whatever his reasons, I think the outstanding player, formerly known as Polly, has reached Legend status in record time for City afaic.
AlpsMaster
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby ant london » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:21 am

also

Zabaleta revealed that Tevez changed his normal trademark dancing goal celebration to taunt United with his ear-cupping routine on Tuesday.

He added: “He does the dance because we play cards a lot in Argentina and Carlos plays it with his brother. The loser has to do a dance, so that’s why Carlos does it to laugh at his brother. But he changed his celebration against United – and he would love to repeat it at Old Trafford next week.”
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Scatman » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:01 am

bollocks
Scatman
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Postby salford city » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:13 am

I'm looking forward to his celebration on Wednesday evening in front of the scoreboard end. Dennis Law anyone...Expect either that, or for him to stand on the hoardings with his shorts around his ankles with a t-shirt proclaiming Chuckle One is a cock
Your job is cleaning boots
salford city
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:19 am

It's a nice try by him, but i still believe it was aimed a bacon face.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby Im_Spartacus » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:06 pm

Of course Carlos, nobody will ever remember after scoring in his last game for United, whilst the massed scum hordes were singing "Fergie, sign him up" he ran to the half way line, stood facing the bench and did the exact same thing.

Lying little cunt, I love him
Im_Spartacus
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: Breasts

Postby Mike J » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:31 pm

to be honest id rather he shuts up about this utd stuff now. i like him winding rat boy up but sometimes it makes me think he wishes he was there. just stick to doing your dance carlos. that'll probably piss them off more.
Mike J

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby walmai » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:40 pm

AlpsMaster wrote:Sorry Carlos, that's a shrewd professional/political answer and I don't believe a word of it - and I don't want to either!

Obviously he can't fess up to deliberately winding the rags and Fergiescum up publicly (see Emmanuel Adebayor), and he was very careful not to do it directly in front of the rags, but I cannot accept going back to this Togo Giggio mouse celebration in the derby game, after he has been doing that arse gyrating in all his recent games, is just a co-incidence!!!!!!

Whatever his reasons, I think the outstanding player, formerly known as Polly, has reached Legend status in record time for City afaic.

I did post a picture of him 'doing the ears' in West Ham colours, in circumstances where he'd just scored a great goal.

As much as he's a great footballer, Tevez is a dummy. How much English can he speak 3 years after starting to work here? Perhaps he just doesn't realise the significance?

EDIT:
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: WHUFC
My favourite player is: The Canning Town Pirlo

Postby ant london » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:42 pm

walmai wrote:As much as he's a great footballer, Tevez is a dummy. How much English can he speak 3 years after starting to work here? Perhaps he just doesn't realise the significance?

Class isn't it....lovely lad and triffic player but numb as nuts!!!
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Mase » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:11 pm

MANCHESTER City striker Carlos Tevez has defended his controversial goal celebrations against former club Manchester United on Tuesday, insisting they were “a response to them saying I was not worth the money”.

Tevez, who joined City in the summer after United decided not to spend £25million to keep him, goaded former United team-mate Gary Neville during his two-goal performance in the 2-1 Carling Cup semi-final first-leg victory. Neville publicly backed Sir Alex Ferguson’s decision not to buy the forward.

The Argentina striker also gestured towards the United directors but insists there was “nothing malicious intended”.

“Gary was very disrespectful, which is out of character, but he didn’t know the whole story of why I left Manchester United and I believe I deserved his respect,” Tevez said.

“Football is a form of theatre and it was just a form of banter. There was nothing malicious intended. I was not trying to incite anyone but I was entitled to say to Neville that he should have been more respectful.

“For the second goal I ran to the touchline and cupped my ears and looked up to the part of the ground where the United directors were sitting, and also to Ferguson in the dugout, because I wanted them to know this was my response to them saying I was not worth the money.

“People from United have been speaking about me publicly and criticising me but I wanted to do my talking on the pitch because that was the best way of responding to all these people, such as Neville, who were saying United were right to let me go.”
Mase
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Warnock's Ref Rants
My favourite player is: Danny Tiatto

Postby walmai » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:18 pm

ant london wrote:
walmai wrote:As much as he's a great footballer, Tevez is a dummy. How much English can he speak 3 years after starting to work here? Perhaps he just doesn't realise the significance?

Yep

And also the pawn in an epic battle of manipulation between Taggart and Kia.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Postby lets all have a disco » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:22 pm

walmai wrote:
ant london wrote:

Yep

And also the pawn in an epic battle of manipulation between Taggart and Kia.

I like how the pawn has found a nice place on the chess board now and Kia has got his yacht.
He was never me,me,me but always you,you,you
lets all have a disco
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: Manchester City FC
My favourite player is: STILL MICAH RICHARDS

Postby walmai » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:19 pm

I'm not criticising him for that. I do however think he's probably said enough about it now.

So Taggart wants to affect that Tevez wasn't worth the £25M? Maybe he did think that, or maybe he was told that the club couldn't afford it? I don't know. The reality though is that he now plays for another team and doing very well there.

The more he goes on about it, the more I am led to wonder whether the reality is that, deep down, he wished he'd stayed a Red.
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:26 pm

walmai wrote:
AlpsMaster wrote:Sorry Carlos, that's a shrewd professional/political answer and I don't believe a word of it - and I don't want to either!

I did post a picture of him 'doing the ears' in West Ham colours, in circumstances where he'd just scored a great goal.

As much as he's a great footballer, Tevez is a dummy. How much English can he speak 3 years after starting to work here? Perhaps he just doesn't realise the significance?

EDIT:

lol agree with that after seeing his BBC interview. But disagree about his celebrations vs. Scum. He may not be that clever, but hes a proud, passionate man and it seems he wants to show the scum up now.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Mike J » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:27 pm

walmai wrote:I'm not criticising him for that. I do however think he's probably said enough about it now.

So Taggart wants to affect that Tevez wasn't worth the £25M? Maybe he did think that, or maybe he was told that the club couldn't afford it? I don't know. The reality though is that he now plays for another team and doing very well there.

The more he goes on about it, the more I am led to wonder whether the reality is that, deep down, he wished he'd stayed a Red.

pretty much what i meant in my above post.
Mike J

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:30 pm

Mike J wrote:
walmai wrote:I'm not criticising him for that. I do however think he's probably said enough about it now.

pretty much what i meant in my above post.

He rarely talks about the scum. Im sure the press ask him about him 24/7 like they've done this week.

The way i believe it is that taggart desperately tried to keep him last minute and matched are offer and he turned them down. This also reflects what taggart said this week.

So united never rejected him, he rejected them. Obviously im not sure how they would have afforded him though . . .
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby walmai » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:28 pm

Well, the point really is that he rarely talks at all in English. But he still seems to be quoted in the papers fairly regularly. I just wonder whether giving apparently translated quotes to the press is in his interests.

It makes for a good subtext for the second leg, for the neutral, mind. After the last two matches (yours and Villas) I am well looking forward to next week.

Don't be doing anything stupid like fucking it all up now, you hear!
walmai
De Jong's Tackle

Postby ronk » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:10 pm

I'd have thought that his little dance would have been viewed as more provocative, had he done it.
“Do onto others — then run!”
B. Hill
ronk
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum