Mancini has no money?!?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Mancini has no money?!?

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:45 pm

"Perhaps Real Madrid will give me Gago, maybe Milan (gives me) Flamini..."

Despite the vast financial resources available to City, Vieira's arrival and the proposed moves for Flamini and Gago would not involve a transfer fee.

Mancini, brought in to replace Mark Hughes in December, has no problem with the approach being taken by the club's hierarchy.

He added: "I think they are putting me to the test. I won't disappoint them."

SSN.

Sorry if its been covered. I thought he was just acting on a small budget for his own sake, but that statement confirms hes not IMO. Flamini and Gago would be loans.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Re: Mancini has no money?!?

Postby Vhero » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:48 pm

I said he had no money from day 1 but everybody ignored me..
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Blue Blood » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:48 pm

He probably has money if he really needed it, but why put more pressure on his position by signing someone for a large fee and it potentially not working out, when he has to convince the board to extend his deal longer than the trial 6 months.

Loans with an option to buy are a very sensible move for all partys involved imo.

To say we have no money is rediculious!
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:52 pm

I agree with their approach. I just think if we desperately needed a midfielder / left back or centre back, i'd give him the money for chileni etc. while we have the chance; rather than get a 33 year old that may not be able to cut it. People were right to question the veira signing then, as im not sure he would have brought him in if he had unlimited money. For the record, Veira's interviews have made me warm to him. But if the world cup wasn't on this year, there no way I would have signed him.

I suppose the club/ mancini want lescott, toure and bridge back. But do we still need a/ multiple midfielders? Sounds like mancini thinks we do.
Last edited by Nick on Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Beeks » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:53 pm

fucks sake...this moves 'reading between the lines' to a whole new level

you'd think you couldn't make it up...but you just did
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:55 pm

Not trying to bring doom, just thought it was a surprise and hasn't really been given much coverage.

He added: "I think they are putting me to the test. I won't disappoint them." You dont really have to read between the lines from that line.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby AlpsMaster » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:02 pm

I think there is plenty of evidence to support this analysis.

1. Hughes's comments about accelerating three years' of spending into 2009;
2. Dunne's comments on departure about City needing the money;
3. 21 days into the transfer window with a very depleted squad and yet no signings involving a transfer fee; and now
4. Mancini's comments about being tested and club's 'giving' us players.

I think the owners probably reached a point where they want to see some return for their investment in terms of real progress on the pitch before they are willing to invest again to take us to the next level.

A trophy and a top 4 finish and they'll be satisfied - not ecstatic like us fans will be - anything less would not be acceptable.
Last edited by AlpsMaster on Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlpsMaster
Superman's Underpants

My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Blue Blood » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:02 pm

Nick wrote:Not trying to bring doom, just thought it was a surprise and hasn't really been given much coverage.

He added: "I think they are putting me to the test. I won't disappoint them." You dont really have to read between the lines from that line.

Lets be honest though if you were mr mansour and you'd just seen your previous manager blow 17million on a crocked striker and 24 million on 10 million pounds worth of cb, wouldn't you hold the purse strings abit tight until your new guy proved he actually knows his stuff.

If mancini hits top 4 and proves his worth, he'll have a nice pot of transfer gold come the summer.

Imo i think the powers that be are being very sensible.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Florida Blue » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:06 pm

Blue Blood wrote:He probably has money if he really needed it, but why put more pressure on his position by signing someone for a large fee and it potentially not working out, when he has to convince the board to extend his deal longer than the trial 6 months.

Loans with an option to buy are a very sensible move for all partys involved imo.

Agreed, and frankly, despite all the negativity we have seen on this board, let's face facts.

1. Where were we a year ago? A hell of a lot more than 3 losses and out of the domestic cups

2. Where were we two years ago? A hell of a lot more than 3 losses and out of all cups

3. Strikers: We have added 4 new top flight strikers in last 12 months, do we need more, esp now that Benjani has proved to be sufficent cover as our FIFTH option?

4. Midfield: Added Barry, de Jong, Vierra in the past 12 months, Ireland is a top player, SWP and Petrov play their rolls very well. Losing Johnson was a shame. Kompany, Sylvinho, Garrido and Zaba can slot in at any time they are needed.

5. Defenders: Let me see, conceded 4 goals since Mancini has come to town and had 3 clean sheets, that is an improvement considering Lescott, Bridge and Onuha have been hurt, Toure is in the ANC and Kompany is just back from injury. Not to mention relying on Boyata to come in and play a large roll wet behind the ears, and having Richards play out of position. When healthy Lescott and Bridge could actually have to battle for spots. Garrido has looked as good as Bridge if not more defensively responsible (though that may be what Bridge will do under Mancini), and Boyata and Kompany have clearly raised the bar for Lescott, who might be as likely to get time at left back than at CB.

6. Keeper.. well ok maybe we need a better deputy to Shay.

Ok so now it is the January window, 12-13 days left. Most of the talent that would really make sense is tied up in the Champions league or on teams that have bowed out, but are fighting for their league titles, so who could we really bring in to make a major improvement on this squad?

I see no reason to scream "we need" when the only issue is getting used to the new system and getting our injured players along with Ade and Toure back into side.

There is no need to foolishly bring in players, we have the talent to be top 4 (think about it if we did not force ourselves to settle for all those draws... hell if just 3 of them were wins (which is easily the number of times we blew leads with poor shape that we have not seen under RM) we would be 4 points adrift from the top with a game in hand.

We are there lads, right on the step. We were what, 11th and 10th the last 2 seasons?
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby AlpsMaster » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:14 pm

Florida Blue wrote:
Blue Blood wrote:He probably has money if he really needed it, but why put more pressure on his position by signing someone for a large fee and it potentially not working out, when he has to convince the board to extend his deal longer than the trial 6 months.

Agreed, and frankly, despite all the negativity we have seen on this board, let's face facts.

1. Where were we a year ago? A hell of a lot more than 3 losses and out of the domestic cups

2. Where were we two years ago? A hell of a lot more than 3 losses and out of all cups

3. Strikers: We have added 4 new top flight strikers in last 12 months, do we need more, esp now that Benjani has proved to be sufficent cover as our FIFTH option?

4. Midfield: Added Barry, de Jong, Vierra in the past 12 months, Ireland is a top player, SWP and Petrov play their rolls very well. Losing Johnson was a shame. Kompany, Sylvinho, Garrido and Zaba can slot in at any time they are needed.

5. Defenders: Let me see, conceded 4 goals since Mancini has come to town and had 3 clean sheets, that is an improvement considering Lescott, Bridge and Onuha have been hurt, Toure is in the ANC and Kompany is just back from injury. Not to mention relying on Boyata to come in and play a large roll wet behind the ears, and having Richards play out of position. When healthy Lescott and Bridge could actually have to battle for spots. Garrido has looked as good as Bridge if not more defensively responsible (though that may be what Bridge will do under Mancini), and Boyata and Kompany have clearly raised the bar for Lescott, who might be as likely to get time at left back than at CB.

Ok so now it is the January window, 12-13 days left. Most of the talent that would really make sense is tied up in the Champions league or on teams that have bowed out, but are fighting for their league titles, so who could we really bring in to make a major improvement on this squad?

I see no reason to scream "we need" when the only issue is getting used to the new system and getting our injured players along with Ade and Toure back into side.

There is no need to foolishly bring in players, we have the talent to be top 4 (think about it if we did not force ourselves to settle for all those draws... hell if just 3 of them were wins (which is easily the number of times we blew leads with poor shape that we have not seen under RM) we would be 4 points adrift from the top with a game in hand.

We are there lads, right on the step. We were what, 11th and 10th the last 2 seasons?

I agree with all of that (apart from there being 33-34 days in January ;-)) and just because I think the oil well has temporarily run dry, I don't think we need to worry too much.
AlpsMaster
Superman's Underpants

My favourite player is: Vincent Kompany

Postby Florida Blue » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:16 pm

AlpsMaster wrote:
Florida Blue wrote:

I agree with all of that (apart from there being 33-34 days in January ;-)) and just because I think the oil well has temporarily run dry, I don't think we need to worry too much.

Deadline is February 2nd ;)
I've come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass... and I am all out of bubblegum.
Florida Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby BobKowalski » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:16 pm

They have spunked £200m+ on players in the 16 months since they bought the club. Now they want a return on that investment. I said all along that we have a great squad and we need to get that working. Prior to his departure Hughes was talking in the media about needing new players with the 'right attitude' and how 'they were going to do their homework this time' - like you weren't doing that first time round? We can not work on the principle of buying a new team every 6 months. Sooner or later you have to make what you have work and that is what Mancini has to do and so far is doing pretty well. Personally I think talk of new players is partly what did for Hughes in the end.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Vhero » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:17 pm

Blue Blood wrote:
Nick wrote:Not trying to bring doom, just thought it was a surprise and hasn't really been given much coverage.

Lets be honest though if you were mr mansour and you'd just seen your previous manager blow 17million on a crocked striker and 24 million on 10 million pounds worth of cb, wouldn't you hold the purse strings abit tight until your new guy proved he actually knows his stuff.

If mancini hits top 4 and proves his worth, he'll have a nice pot of transfer gold come the summer.

Imo i think the powers that be are being very sensible.

I agree 100% I don't think he will give him a penny until he sees something come back.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Nick » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:20 pm

BobKowalski wrote:They have spunked £200m+ on players in the 16 months since they bought the club. Now they want a return on that investment. I said all along that we have a great squad and we need to get that working. Prior to his departure Hughes was talking in the media about needing new players with the 'right attitude' and how 'they were going to do their homework this time' - like you weren't doing that first time round? We can not work on the principle of buying a new team every 6 months. Sooner or later you have to make what you have work and that is what Mancini has to do and so far is doing pretty well. Personally I think talk of new players is partly what did for Hughes in the end.

I agree with all the posts on here. My one question is why did hughes want Ade. Hughes loves players with a good attitude and he needs credit for that. Its the spine of our team; Given, bellers, zaba, vince, de jong, tevez. Eto was probably an owners thing, and you cant deny his class even if he is a bit of a cock. But adebayor?! I was surprised he had the start (and put the work in) that he did until he got the ban. Since then hes been piss poor and his work rate has been similar to benjanis.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby nickson71 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:23 pm

out of interest how did Mancini approach transfer when he was at Inter

It just seems strange that he talking about targets freely and adding new name to the media list of players I presonally hadn't seen Gago mentioned until Mancini said he was interested.
nickson71
Horlock's Aggressive Walk

Postby Beeks » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:25 pm

Forgot about Eto'o haha!

Anyone know how he's doing?
Beeks
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: The Sky Blues
My favourite player is: Fernandinho

Postby Original Dub » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:29 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:Forgot about Eto'o haha!

Anyone know how he's doing?

pretty much 1 goal every two league games if my memory serves me right.

But that's what he does...
Original Dub

Postby Wooders » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:34 pm

IanBishopsHaircut wrote:fucks sake...this moves 'reading between the lines' to a whole new level

you'd think you couldn't make it up...but you just did

theres making it up and there is facts - Vieira in on loan, Gago or flamini in for a short term deal until the end of the season, a concrete link with ansaldi outright denied amongst otheres. There is no smoke without fire and I also believe that Mancini is on a 6 month trial and isn't allowed to spend on the squad until he passes - and no vhero, you self important git, you weren't the only one to think this when he took over :)
Citys new Motto "To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women"
Wooders
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Supporter of: City

Postby BobKowalski » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:35 pm

Nick wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:They have spunked £200m+ on players in the 16 months since they bought the club. Now they want a return on that investment. I said all along that we have a great squad and we need to get that working. Prior to his departure Hughes was talking in the media about needing new players with the 'right attitude' and how 'they were going to do their homework this time' - like you weren't doing that first time round? We can not work on the principle of buying a new team every 6 months. Sooner or later you have to make what you have work and that is what Mancini has to do and so far is doing pretty well. Personally I think talk of new players is partly what did for Hughes in the end.

I agree with all the posts on here. My one question is why did hughes want Ade. Hughes loves players with a good attitude and he needs credit for that. Its the spine of our team; Given, bellers, zaba, vince, de jong, tevez. Eto was probably an owners thing, and you cant deny his class even if he is a bit of a cock. But adebayor?! I was surprised he had the start (and put the work in) that he did until he got the ban. Since then hes been piss poor and his work rate has been similar to benjanis.

Good question about Ade. I'll admit I was all for the guy and still am because on his day he is the nuts but you didn't have to be einstein to know that his attitude was not going to do wonders for dressing room harmony unless he was properly handled and even then no guarantees. Lets hope Mancini can get the best out of him (fingers firmly crossed).
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Alex Sapphire » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:49 pm

Nick wrote:

are you saying that you don't think Ade was a good choice by Hughes and that Eto'o may have been a good choice, but wasn't Hughes but rather the Sheikh's choice? i think Adebayor was prolly Hughes 3rd or 4th choice, but the best the club could bag for him.
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum