Mancini has no money?!?

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Mancini has no money?!?

Postby Niall Quinns Discopants » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:56 pm

Alex Sapphire wrote:
Nick wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:They have spunked £200m+ on players in the 16 months since they bought the club. Now they want a return on that investment. I said all along that we have a great squad and we need to get that working. Prior to his departure Hughes was talking in the media about needing new players with the 'right attitude' and how 'they were going to do their homework this time' - like you weren't doing that first time round? We can not work on the principle of buying a new team every 6 months. Sooner or later you have to make what you have work and that is what Mancini has to do and so far is doing pretty well. Personally I think talk of new players is partly what did for Hughes in the end.

I agree with all the posts on here. My one question is why did hughes want Ade. Hughes loves players with a good attitude and he needs credit for that. Its the spine of our team; Given, bellers, zaba, vince, de jong, tevez. Eto was probably an owners thing, and you cant deny his class even if he is a bit of a cock. But adebayor?! I was surprised he had the start (and put the work in) that he did until he got the ban. Since then hes been piss poor and his work rate has been similar to benjanis.

are you saying that you don't think Ade was a good choice by Hughes and that Eto'o may have been a good choice, but wasn't Hughes but rather the Sheikh's choice? i think Adebayor was prolly Hughes 3rd or 4th choice, but the best the club could bag for him.

I agree with this.

It wasn't straight choice between Adebayor and Eto'o. We went for Sammy E, he didn't want to come, so we moved to other targets.
Sometimes we're good and sometimes we're bad but when we're good, at least we're much better than we used to be and when we are bad we're just as bad as we always used to be, so that's got to be good hasn't it?

Mark Radcliffe
Niall Quinns Discopants
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: Holistic approach
My favourite player is: Bishop Magic Don Juan

Postby Mike J » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:33 pm

Vhero wrote:I said he had no money from day 1 but everybody ignored me..

dry your eyes lad.
Mike J
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Who do you think
My favourite player is: Merlin

Postby Blue Blood » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:45 pm

Niall Quinns Discopants wrote:
Alex Sapphire wrote:
Nick wrote:
BobKowalski wrote:They have spunked £200m+ on players in the 16 months since they bought the club. Now they want a return on that investment. I said all along that we have a great squad and we need to get that working. Prior to his departure Hughes was talking in the media about needing new players with the 'right attitude' and how 'they were going to do their homework this time' - like you weren't doing that first time round? We can not work on the principle of buying a new team every 6 months. Sooner or later you have to make what you have work and that is what Mancini has to do and so far is doing pretty well. Personally I think talk of new players is partly what did for Hughes in the end.

I agree with all the posts on here. My one question is why did hughes want Ade. Hughes loves players with a good attitude and he needs credit for that. Its the spine of our team; Given, bellers, zaba, vince, de jong, tevez. Eto was probably an owners thing, and you cant deny his class even if he is a bit of a cock. But adebayor?! I was surprised he had the start (and put the work in) that he did until he got the ban. Since then hes been piss poor and his work rate has been similar to benjanis.

are you saying that you don't think Ade was a good choice by Hughes and that Eto'o may have been a good choice, but wasn't Hughes but rather the Sheikh's choice? i think Adebayor was prolly Hughes 3rd or 4th choice, but the best the club could bag for him.

I agree with this.

It wasn't straight choice between Adebayor and Eto'o. We went for Sammy E, he didn't want to come, so we moved to other targets.

Whether he was or wasn't third or fourth choice matters little to me.

Personally i think the signing of Adebayor was an excellent one. Adebayor has everything in his locker to become one of the best strikers in world football, he just needs to focus his game more, i think mancini could be the man to help him do that.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Postby Renato_CTID » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:47 pm

Mancio will only avoid to spend badly money like someone before him did!
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby patrickblue » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:16 pm

Not wishing to start the debate all over again, but I suspect it's more to do with Platini's proposals than the owners wanting to see a return on investment.
[img]https://giphy.com/gifs/3o7qDYcso3azifQVyg/html5[/img]
patrickblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: The one and only Goat

Postby irblinx » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:20 pm

Vhero wrote:I said he had no money from day 1 but everybody ignored me..

and you're still wrong
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby ian494 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:46 pm

patrickblue wrote:Not wishing to start the debate all over again, but I suspect it's more to do with Platini's proposals than the owners wanting to see a return on investment.

I tend to think it's more to do with no one of quality being available to buy.

How many clubs in the premier league have bought this window, never mind bought quality.
ian494
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby lythamblue » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:08 pm

There is no point in him signing anyone on a permanent basis anyway, as no one is sure how long he is going to be here.

If we do indeed have a 'Top 4 or out at the end of the season' policy, no decent player in their right mind would sign for us unless all they were concerned about is a pay cheque on a long contract. The kind of players we need to sign are top stars who want to carry on winning trophies and will want to play for a manager that they believe is there long term.

Without a doubt, sacking our last manager has given us a 'stability' problem within the industry and that won't start to rectify itself until Mancini has achieved his objectives and gets given along term 3 year contract ...... for definate.

I think we can all safely assume that Mancini sold himself and was brought in based on his promise to our Board that he could achieve a Top 4 spot with the current squad and that we should be able to expect that from our current manager (Hughes at the time).

Therefore, any signings (like Vierra) will be done short term until the end of the season, with options to lengthen the contract if Mancini is kept on next season etc.

It makes perfect sense not to sign expensive players on long term contracts which any new manager next season may not fancy.

In summary, we are not short of cash ..... just short of stability.

Hopefully, Mancini will achieve his target, be given his 3 year contract, and then we can move on again signing top players that will be prepared to come to what will then be a Top 4 side.

If he doesn't achieve his target, he will be gone ...... and we are in a right mess again.

This was always going to be the case when we sacked Hughes like we did. A big gamble, which we all hope pays off.
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby ashton287 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:15 pm

he's got money we just don't need to spend it with the players we already have, he's getting a few loans in to sure things up incase of injuries and then in summer he will buy players, probably after the world cup. No point in us paying extra and being ripped of when we dont really need improvement that bad.
[center]Image[/center]
ashton287
De Jong's Tackle
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

My favourite player is: De jong

Postby Original Dub » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:41 pm

lythamblue wrote:There is no point in him signing anyone on a permanent basis anyway, as no one is sure how long he is going to be here.

If we do indeed have a 'Top 4 or out at the end of the season' policy, no decent player in their right mind would sign for us unless all they were concerned about is a pay cheque on a long contract. The kind of players we need to sign are top stars who want to carry on winning trophies and will want to play for a manager that they believe is there long term.

Without a doubt, sacking our last manager has given us a 'stability' problem within the industry and that won't start to rectify itself until Mancini has achieved his objectives and gets given along term 3 year contract ...... for definate.

I think we can all safely assume that Mancini sold himself and was brought in based on his promise to our Board that he could achieve a Top 4 spot with the current squad and that we should be able to expect that from our current manager (Hughes at the time).

Therefore, any signings (like Vierra) will be done short term until the end of the season, with options to lengthen the contract if Mancini is kept on next season etc.

It makes perfect sense not to sign expensive players on long term contracts which any new manager next season may not fancy.

Hopefully, Mancini will achieve his target, be given his 3 year contract, and then we can move on again signing top players that will be prepared to come to what will then be a Top 4 side.

If he doesn't achieve his target, he will be gone ...... and we are in a right mess again.

This was always going to be the case when we sacked Hughes like we did. A big gamble, which we all hope pays off.

Oh my God you're gonna get in SO much trouble for that post!

I do agree that he's brought in to get top four and that's whay they got rid of the last guy, but the rest..... ooooohhhh so much trouble!!
Original Dub

Postby Nigels Tackle » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:51 pm

Players available now aren't the ones we will want come the summer.....

Short term deals (with it has to be said some quality/experienced players) are the way forward....

Simples!
ARMCHAIR FAN
Nigels Tackle
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Supporter of: man love
My favourite player is: riyad meh!rez

Postby ian494 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:53 pm

Original Dub wrote:
lythamblue wrote:There is no point in him signing anyone on a permanent basis anyway, as no one is sure how long he is going to be here.

I do agree that he's brought in to get top four and that's whay they got rid of the last guy, but the rest..... ooooohhhh so much trouble!!

Nah mate, it is a good post and just needs to be read with a bit of perspective ;-)
ian494
Darius Vassell's Composure

Postby lythamblue » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:29 pm

ian494 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Nah mate, it is a good post and just needs to be read with a bit of perspective ;-)

Why .... what's wrong with it OD? What should everyone object to as I couldn't see anything nasty in it when I wrote it.

Is it the bit about 'Top 4 or out? ..... because it seems that way, otherwise Hughes would still be here.

Is it the bit about no expensive superstar signings? ..... because we certainly aren't making any.

Is it the bit about no stability? ...... well, there doesn't seem to be many superstars willing to uproot their lives to join a manager who may not be here in 6 months.

Or is it the fact that our board have taken one masive calculated risk? .... because they have.

with all that said and done ..... I think Mancini will actually achieve his objectives. I fookin hope so anyway, because if not finding his replacememt won't be that easy.
Relax ... It's only a message board in hyperspace!!
lythamblue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Postby gillie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:38 pm

lythamblue wrote:
ian494 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

Why .... what's wrong with it OD? What should everyone object to as I couldn't see anything nasty in it when I wrote it.

Is it the bit about 'Top 4 or out? ..... because it seems that way, otherwise Hughes would still be here.

Is it the bit about no expensive superstar signings? ..... because we certainly aren't making any.

Is it the bit about no stability? ...... well, there doesn't seem to be many superstars willing to uproot their lives to join a manager who may not be here in 6 months.

Or is it the fact that our board have taken one masive calculated risk? .... because they have.

with all that said and done ..... I think Mancini will actually achieve his objectives. I fookin hope so anyway, because if not finding his replacememt won't be that easy.

Lytham mate OD was for want of a better word being sarcastic i think.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby gillie » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:26 am

BTW Bobby dont worry mate i am skint as well.FFS Mancini has no money to spend do me a favour turn over from fantasy island our owner could give him his takings from one days rise in oil prices and he could buy the prem.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby BobKowalski » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:58 am

lythamblue wrote:
ian494 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

There is nothing wrong with it...there is nothing necessarily right with it either but the premise ain't wrong. Having spent a fortune on players ADUG wanted someone to manage them and produce the results they felt the level of investment warranted. Hughes wasn't cutting it so they brought in someone they think could. If Mancini doesn't cut it either he will be replaced in the summer.

This is not instability. It is cold eyed pragmatism and it ain't warm and cuddly but since every top club sacks their manager who underachieves it will not deter top players/superstars from joining us if they so wish. Lack of CL football and other factors may, and indeed have so far, deter them from joining City but the fate of Mancini ain't going to be one of them. Some like Barry may say that 'the manager sold me the project and I want assurances that he is there for the long term' but when said manager gets the push 5 months later I don't see him having a problem do you? Even Bellers got over it sharpish realising that he was better served supporting the club and not one individual.

We have got a great squad. It desperately needed someone to manage it not ship in another job lot of players. When everyone was wringing their hands prior to Hughes sacking one argument against his going was that a new manager would upset the squad by bringing in 'his own players and we will be back to square one'. Well so far he hasn't and he has done what presumably he sold to ADUG namely what this squad needs is a competent manager with leadership skills. Fortunately ADUG agreed and did precisely that. 6 games in we are batting 5 and 1 including a derby win and Mancini has even got Khaldoon and Cook wearing his f**king scarf.

We are conditioned to believe that to succeed you need stability. Its bollocks. What you need is money and competent people in charge who know what they want and have the ability to make it happen. When ADUG replaced Frank we got precisely that. When ADUG replaced Hughes with Mancini they were not taking a massive calculated risk. They just looked at the evidence and made the call. They will do the same with Mancini whether that is in 6 months time or 3 years time. Mancini is the coach and is employed to produce results and success on the pitch. He is not employed to build a f**king dynasty. He may become a legend but if you want something like taggart then you are way off base.

One final point I still think after spending nearly half a billion quid on buying the club and bringing in players that Sheikh Mansour has earnt the right to make his first managerial appointment. The fact that Hughes was found wanting is down to Hughes and no one else.
BobKowalski
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Rag_hater » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:36 am

BobKowalski wrote:
lythamblue wrote:
ian494 wrote:
Original Dub wrote:

There is nothing wrong with it...there is nothing necessarily right with it either but the premise ain't wrong. Having spent a fortune on players ADUG wanted someone to manage them and produce the results they felt the level of investment warranted. Hughes wasn't cutting it so they brought in someone they think could. If Mancini doesn't cut it either he will be replaced in the summer.

This is not instability. It is cold eyed pragmatism and it ain't warm and cuddly but since every top club sacks their manager who underachieves it will not deter top players/superstars from joining us if they so wish. Lack of CL football and other factors may, and indeed have so far, deter them from joining City but the fate of Mancini ain't going to be one of them. Some like Barry may say that 'the manager sold me the project and I want assurances that he is there for the long term' but when said manager gets the push 5 months later I don't see him having a problem do you? Even Bellers got over it sharpish realising that he was better served supporting the club and not one individual.

We have got a great squad. It desperately needed someone to manage it not ship in another job lot of players. When everyone was wringing their hands prior to Hughes sacking one argument against his going was that a new manager would upset the squad by bringing in 'his own players and we will be back to square one'. Well so far he hasn't and he has done what presumably he sold to ADUG namely what this squad needs is a competent manager with leadership skills. Fortunately ADUG agreed and did precisely that. 6 games in we are batting 5 and 1 including a derby win and Mancini has even got Khaldoon and Cook wearing his f**king scarf.

We are conditioned to believe that to succeed you need stability. Its bollocks. What you need is money and competent people in charge who know what they want and have the ability to make it happen. When ADUG replaced Frank we got precisely that. When ADUG replaced Hughes with Mancini they were not taking a massive calculated risk. They just looked at the evidence and made the call. They will do the same with Mancini whether that is in 6 months time or 3 years time. Mancini is the coach and is employed to produce results and success on the pitch. He is not employed to build a f**king dynasty. He may become a legend but if you want something like taggart then you are way off base.

One final point I still think after spending nearly half a billion quid on buying the club and bringing in players that Sheikh Mansour has earnt the right to make his first managerial appointment. The fact that Hughes was found wanting is down to Hughes and no one else.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks stability is over-rated and unneeded.
The quality of players and management are what is important.
I think Mancini has plenty of money if he were to need it but he doesn't.
Rag_hater

Postby Original Dub » Fri Jan 22, 2010 10:59 am

Good post Bob and the football world is indeed a cold hard place to work. Stability isn't needed for immediate success. It is however needed if we are to emulate United and be the dominant team in English football for 20 years.

And that's what I want. Also, we can keep changing managers and get a player in here and there... by the time we're on manager 3 or 4, we could very well win the title. I wouldn't neccessarily say he was the best manager because it was easier for him to achieve that goal than manager 1 or 2 if you get what I'm saying?

That said, we all know Mancini has to achieve top four and we all know we want him to... we also know what will happen if he doesn't achieve that goal, so there's no point in any of us bitching about it when it happens.

Lytham - I agreed with all of your post, I just thought you'd be called a hughes licker, or Mancini hater or whatever the latest label is because you say sacking hughes MAY turn out to be a mistake... However, if Mancini gets the bullet like hughes did, I still think if the opportunity is there, the likes of Mourinho or some other mercenary manager who wants to have the shiniest CV in the world will pop over for a couple of years before heading for Barcelona...

Basically, I agree there could well be a problem with stability, but not so much with grabbing a trophy here and there as Chelsea have done in the last five years or so...

However, I don't want to be only better than Chelsea, I want to be better than United and if this guy doesn't cut the mustard, I find it hard to believe we'll ever actually achieve that.
Original Dub

Postby Rag_hater » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:20 am

Original Dub wrote:Good post Bob and the football world is indeed a cold hard place to work. Stability isn't needed for immediate success. It is however needed if we are to emulate U***d and be the dominant team in English football for 20 years.

And that's what I want. Also, we can keep changing managers and get a player in here and there... by the time we're on manager 3 or 4, we could very well win the title. I wouldn't neccessarily say he was the best manager because it was easier for him to achieve that goal than manager 1 or 2 if you get what I'm saying?

That said, we all know Mancini has to achieve top four and we all know we want him to... we also know what will happen if he doesn't achieve that goal, so there's no point in any of us bitching about it when it happens.

Lytham - I agreed with all of your post, I just thought you'd be called a hughes licker, or Mancini hater or whatever the latest label is because you say sacking hughes MAY turn out to be a mistake... However, if Mancini gets the bullet like hughes did, I still think if the opportunity is there, the likes of Mourinho or some other mercenary manager who wants to have the shiniest CV in the world will pop over for a couple of years before heading for Barcelona...

Basically, I agree there could well be a problem with stability, but not so much with grabbing a trophy here and there as Chelsea have done in the last five years or so...

However, I don't want to be only better than Chelsea, I want to be better than U***d and if this guy doesn't cut the mustard, I find it hard to believe we'll ever actually achieve that.

I dont know why people dismiss Chelski so much.I think they won a cup last year are competeing very strongly this year and have been since Jose left.They are hardly the model of stability and I think are still doing quite well and will continue to do so for the next few years and who can judge any further than that.
If we are to set the foundations for a dynasty it has to begin somewhere and if grabbing a few cups now is how it begins, or what Chelski are doing ,is not a bad example or begining.
If getting the CC this year is our only achievement(please) then surley if we are to build a dynasty then that would be a good place to start.
Rag_hater

Postby Original Dub » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:34 am

Rag_hater wrote:
Original Dub wrote:Good post Bob and the football world is indeed a cold hard place to work. Stability isn't needed for immediate success. It is however needed if we are to emulate U***d and be the dominant team in English football for 20 years.

However, I don't want to be only better than Chelsea, I want to be better than U***d and if this guy doesn't cut the mustard, I find it hard to believe we'll ever actually achieve that.

I dont know why people dismiss Chelski so much.I think they won a cup last year are competeing very strongly this year and have been since Jose left.They are hardly the model of stability and I think are still doing quite well and will continue to do so for the next few years and who can judge any further than that.
If we are to set the foundations for a dynasty it has to begin somewhere and if grabbing a few cups now is how it begins, or what Chelski are doing ,is not a bad example or begining.
If getting the CC this year is our only achievement(please) then surley if we are to build a dynasty then that would be a good place to start.

I wouldn't call the carling cup on its own a good place to start... it'd be nice for supporters but reaching the top four is far more important if we are to attract the best players in the world.

Also, I said emulating Chelsea may be good enough for some, but I want to emulate United and they are MILES apart in terms of dominance and United have had more success since Abramovich took over... it didn't need to be that way, if they'd have just left Jose do his job... unfotunately, instability normally results in staggered success, rather than consistant success.

I'm going to paste this into the Mancini thread, because we're going off topic slightly... reply in there if you don't mind?
Original Dub

PreviousNext

Return to The Maine Football forum