Garry Cook in NYC Last Night

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Garry Cook in NYC Last Night

Postby didi barlow » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:57 pm

I posted this over on Bluemoon, but thought I should post here too:

I was there last night and it was a great evening. Don't listen to all this paper crap that is going around today re:Cookie. He was a top chap and was just "bantering" with a small group of fans. I fear some people need to lighten up - ANYTHING he says will now be torn to shreds in the media, so it's advisable to take all reports with a pinch of salt.

I'd never actually been to the Mad Hatter before, but I certainly will in the future as the NYC Supporters Club did a great job of kitting the bar out in City colours. I can tell you, it was great to see so many City fans in the Big Apple!

Garry was due to arrive at 9pm, but rocked on in at around 9.45pm. The 30 or so City fans cheered his name and did some club chants, whilst some stupid bint in the background insisted on singing Yoonited songs. Anyway, the mood was good and I had a nice 5 minute chat with him all about City etc. Won't go into everything we chatted about, but our beloved blues will be embarking on a Summer tour of the states! As an exiled blue, I can't bloody wait for this!

With regard to Cook's supposed "arrogance," he was merely talking to a bunch of fans, after a couple of beers, and telling them what they wanted to hear - it certainly didn't feel arrogant or out of line when we were there. He was extremely affable, spoke to nearly every fan individually and has a great sense of humour and knowledge of what the club is all about. He also noted that it was "typical city" that he club plaque that was due to be presented was actually stuck at customs. They had to make do with a last minute replacement plaque that they'd bought in NYC!

What I will say, is that I was very surprised to see footage of the night up on skysports.com this morning! I was under the impression that the camera crew were from MCFC.com, but evidently I was wrong!

I've attached some pics of the evening below;

http://img50.yfrog.com/img50/107/dsc0019l.jpg
http://img160.yfrog.com/img160/867/dsc0046q.jpg
http://img160.yfrog.com/img160/333/dsc0014d.jpg
Last edited by didi barlow on Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
didi barlow
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Champions 2011/2012

Re: Garry Cook in NYC Last Night

Postby Blueboylewis » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:01 pm

Nice one!

He must have enjoyed himself then! He is a fans type of person definitely without a doubt.

Bet you had a good night meeting him and chatting!
Blueboylewis
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby blues-clues » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:01 pm

pics a bit large!

Gary Cook appears to be wearing the wrong scarf and with the wrong knot. Are you sure it was him?
blues-clues
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Joe Corrigan

Postby Alex Sapphire » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:06 pm

so where's the "Heart of the City" plaque?
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby didi barlow » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:11 pm

Just linked to the pics as they were too big! The plaque is behind the bar and is tiny.....until the REAL one gets through customs!
didi barlow
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Champions 2011/2012

Postby Kyle » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:19 pm

Summer tour of the states? I think I just wet myself.
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby zuricity » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:20 pm

Alex Sapphire wrote:so where's the "Heart of the City" plaque?

Give 'em a chance !

It will probably be placed alongside their NYC City t-shirt I got signed for them by all the City players on Tuesday, and the U18 players including Boyata and Veseli when they toured Switzerland in December.

The t-shirt is winging it's way over now and I picked it up as a gift when I visited NYC (Burnley game at home).

The bar is perfect for watching football and the lads were very welcoming when I was there.

They have a section on the Mad Hatters web site all to themselves. I was able to use my moniker over there too ( site).

Good luck to 'em i say !
"Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs."
zuricity
Alan Oakes' 668 Games

Postby Wonderwall » Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:25 pm

nice one mate, I think the sky coverage paints a completely different picture and its fantastic to get a factual account of the evening,
Wonderwall
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Gods own team

Postby Citizen of Oslo » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:17 pm

Thanks. It's always good to hear an honest opinion from another blue. Instead of the press' view biased by it's need for scandal. Two things actually strikes me.

1. How many City fans that have met him in person and spoken to him. How many other CEO's(or whatever you call him) meets so called ordinary supporters?
2. The mis-match between the story told by the fans that have met and spoken to him, and the story told by the press.

As for me the jury is still out.

As for New York, the last time I was there I spent hours finding a place that showed football for the last game of the season. Then Fowler missed that pen against Boro!
Citizen of Oslo
Micah Richard's Penalty Dives

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby kinkylola » Fri Jan 22, 2010 8:13 pm

tour of the states ....

well I know what my summer is gonna be planned around
kinkylola
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Postby andeez nutz » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:01 pm

tour of the states would be very boss.
andeez nutz
Superman's Underpants

Supporter of: city
My favourite player is: johnson

Postby Beefymcfc » Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:17 pm

So, Gazza (The Cookie Monster) flys out to the states to attend an OSC and the media try to portray him as an arrogant twat??? The bloke is fast becoming a Legend in my book.
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby yankmanc » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:01 am

City to the States - yay! Just had a baby girl so my chances of coming to Manchester anytime soon have dropped from slim to none, so this is exactly what the doctor ordered. Cant wait to hear the tour schedule.
Proud to outfit my local league team in Sky Blue.

COME ON CITY!

All I want for my birthday is a derby win.
yankmanc
Superman's Underpants

Postby gillie » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:16 am

yankmanc wrote:City to the States - yay! Just had a baby girl so my chances of coming to Manchester anytime soon have dropped from slim to none, so this is exactly what the doctor ordered. Cant wait to hear the tour schedule.

Congratulations mate chuffed for you.
gillie
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pablo Zabaleta's Manc Accent

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby MSG77 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:47 am

City in the States this summer? Nice.

I've got 2 free return trips on SouthWest.

Was trying to figure out how to use them - I think I just did. Can't wait for the schedule. Hope it doesn't conflict with anything else.

I wish I had know about the thing in NYC - I could have gone. Probably should keep track more of the NYC supporter club. Oh well.
"this man is a equivalent of large and strong a construction that badly constructed you know, but without real figure, as you say, it does not classify. a thus affectionate man of the alcoholic drink can only influence its condition lies them. the mental state! that is why own goals from richard are many, the guilt shall lie only at legs of Arthur Guinness!" - LazioFanFromManchester
MSG77
Sun Jihai's Vacant Smile

Postby ant london » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:11 am

Said it before and will say it again...I am very glad that Roger Cook, sorry Roger Mellie....no, no, Garry Cook is our chief exec,

He has made some (and I do not doubt that he shall make further) pretty silly gaffes but I rather like the way he is not a typical football "suit".

As others have said, no other chief exec of a PL club (never mind the "self styled world's richest club" "noisy neighbours" "johnnycomelatelys" "new money tastless nouveaux riche city") would or has interracted with real fans like Cook has.

At first I liked him doing it but thought it was a gimmick/attempt to win us over and would quickly see him retreat to the board room but it actually looks like it is his way and it should be applauded.

As to the tour of the states....Doom...would you be able to take in a game somewhere if I come over (I'm overdue a trip to visit friends anyway but we could reconvene our beer/football/talking shit and titty bar tour stateside if you can?)
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Mark Garrett » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:28 pm

I wish Cook would keep his mouth shut.

He's done alot of good things at City, but too many of the comments he has made are cringe-worthy and frankly ridiculous. This latest comment sounds far too much like a Peter Kenyon-esque comment, which is something I never wanted at City. The timing of the comment before the 2nd Leg at United just makes it even worse in my opinion, Tevez has had his go back at Neville - thats fine - but then from that point onwards we should have kept quiet, said nothing in the lead up to Wednesday night.
MANCINI Record at City

2009-10 League..................Pld 21 - W 11 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 40 - GA 18 - Pts 38...Finished 5th
2010-11 League..................Pld 38 - W 21 - D 8 - L 9 - GF 60 - GA 33 - Pts 71...Finished 3rd..FA Cup Winners
2011-12 League..................Pld 38 - W 28 - D 5 - L 5 - GF 93 - GA 29 - Pts 89...Finished 1st..League Champions
2012-13 League..................Pld 36 - W 22 - D 9 - L 5 - GF 62 - GA 31 - Pts 75...Finished 2nd

Domestic Cups record.........Pld 30 - W 18 - D 4 - L 8 - GF 63 - GA 36
European Cups record.........Pld 28 - W 13 - D 7 - L 8 - GF 43 - GA 29

Overall record at City......Pld 191 - W 113 - D 38 - L 40 - GF 361 - GA 176

(Updated after the Wigan FA Cup Final game)
Mark Garrett
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Shaun Goater and Sergio

Postby Kippax » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:57 pm

My thoughts on Garry Cook are well documented, but for those who don't know. I like the fella. I like him as a person and I like the way he does business.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the comments that he has made in New York. Let's face it, he has only re itterated what has always been said from day one under the new regeime, and that is that the owners intend to make Manchester City FC the best team in the world and a global brand, now that may tale 10, 15 or 20 years or more, but that is their intention.

Garry has flown to the states to attend a fans forum, what the fucl is he supposed to say.

Well lads, can't say a lot because the press are here, but all this global imaging shit is rubbish, we're actually aiming for The Conference, big time. Let's hope all goes well next wednesday against our esteemed neighbours. See ya soon. Ra! Ra! Ra!Bye.

The fact that he has said what he did at a fans forum rather than at a news conference should tell you what the man is about, being in touch with the fans.

I said in a post a few weeks ago, that I wish people wouldn't judge him unless they had met him, and he certainly seems to have made an impression on the original poster. The guy is always going to make gaffs, because he doesn't go by the script and he is as excited about what is happenning to our club as we are, and I'd rather have that than a straight faced Peter Kenyon. The fact that the press don't like that is tough shit in my book.

Kippax.

Kippax
De Jong's Tackle

Postby CITYSTEVEDON » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:16 pm

Kippax wrote:My thoughts on Garry Cook are well documented, but for those who don't know. I like the fella. I like him as a person and I like the way he does business.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the comments that he has made in New York. Let's face it, he has only re itterated what has always been said from day one under the new regeime, and that is that the owners intend to make Manchester City FC the best team in the world and a global brand, now that may tale 10, 15 or 20 years or more, but that is their intention.

Garry has flown to the states to attend a fans forum, what the fucl is he supposed to say.

Well lads, can't say a lot because the press are here, but all this global imaging shit is rubbish, we're actually aiming for The Conference, big time. Let's hope all goes well next wednesday against our esteemed neighbours. See ya soon. Ra! Ra! Ra!Bye.

The fact that he has said what he did at a fans forum rather than at a news conference should tell you what the man is about, being in touch with the fans.

I said in a post a few weeks ago, that I wish people wouldn't judge him unless they had met him, and he certainly seems to have made an impression on the original poster. The guy is always going to make gaffs, because he doesn't go by the script and he is as excited about what is happenning to our club as we are, and I'd rather have that than a straight faced Peter Kenyon. The fact that the press don't like that is tough shit in my book.

Kippax.

this, i havnt had the pleasure to met him yet, but it sounds like he is a fan of mcfc and is quite xcited for our jolleys to wembley
CITYSTEVEDON
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: who ever plays for city

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:18 pm

ant london wrote:Said it before and will say it again...I am very glad that Roger Cook, sorry Roger Mellie....no, no, Garry Cook is our chief exec,

He has made some (and I do not doubt that he shall make further) pretty silly gaffes but I rather like the way he is not a typical football "suit".

As others have said, no other chief exec of a PL club (never mind the "self styled world's richest club" "noisy neighbours" "johnnycomelatelys" "new money tastless nouveaux riche city") would or has interracted with real fans like Cook has.

At first I liked him doing it but thought it was a gimmick/attempt to win us over and would quickly see him retreat to the board room but it actually looks like it is his way and it should be applauded.

As to the tour of the states....Doom...would you be able to take in a game somewhere if I come over (I'm overdue a trip to visit friends anyway but we could reconvene our beer/football/talking shit and titty bar tour stateside if you can?)

Dear Mr Assclown,

Yes. Of course.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum