Garry Cook in NYC Last Night

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Garry Cook in NYC Last Night

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:32 pm

Can someone tell me exactly what a CEO is meant to do, please?
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:34 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:Can someone tell me exactly what a CEO is meant to do, please?

do you mean in the context of a football club?

i'd suggest giving Google a whirl pal.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Tokyo Blue » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:39 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:

cheers

I mean in the context of being CEO of a company. I am not a businessman. There are those here who are and have consequently got far better knowledge in this field than me (or google, I suspect). And it would help me to form a balanced judgement on him if knew precisely what tasks he was supposed to be carrying out.
Your right leg I like; I've got nothing against your right leg. The trouble is neither have you.
Tokyo Blue
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Bert Trautmann's Neck

Postby Kyle » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:41 pm

So for this states tour... Where are they more than likely to play? If I recall this past summer they played in D.C., Atlanta, Seattle, and the rose bowl. Can anyone remember if the year before were at the same places or do they change every year?
Kyle
Balotelli's Fireworks Party

Supporter of: CTID

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:48 pm

Tokyo Blue wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:

cheers

I mean in the context of being CEO of a company. I am not a businessman. There are those here who are and have consequently got far better knowledge in this field than me (or google, I suspect). And it would help me to form a balanced judgement on him if knew precisely what tasks he was supposed to be carrying out.

the CEO runs the entire schbang dude. everytime good or bad that happens, the impact of every decision, and the vision of the company and their position in the market, with their partners and customers, starts with how he or she frames up the company's operating strategy and market approach and is directly correlated to how the CEO chooses to staff the team, create a sense of business culture and strategy, and an execution plan to enable that strategy.

Often the role is somewhat ceremonial, and based on being a dynamic market influencer and having great customer or partner relationships to get deals done. Other times, in certain industries, it's a very hands-on operationally focused gig, and not quite so sales-y. CEOs come in a lot of differnt flavors and types, and largely have a short shelf-life at a company. It's a transient gig, prone to being staffed by bullshit artists and charlatans.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Blue Since 76 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:57 pm

Well done to Gary for going to an OSC do in New York and for talking to fans. However, he does need to think about what he's saying.

If he'd just gone there and not said anything 'daft', it would barely have made the papers and would have only put him and the club in a good light. However, whilst what he said might have been what the 30 City fans there wanted to hear, in the press it makes him, and us, look like a laughing stock. We are being portrayed as the new Chelsea and him as the new Kenyon - loads of money and no class. I suspect that's an image the owner doesn't want either. I suspect you might see some of these quotes coming back up on Thursday if we don't get past the rags, as well.

So Gary, well done for going, well done for sorting lots of the things out at the club (tickets online still need seeing to, when you get a minute), but just count to 10 before you say something and think how it will sound, out of context, in rag loving papers the following day.
Blue Since 76
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:55 pm

So, 2 points here:

1. Gazza states that we are going to be the biggest club in the world. Is this not what we are aiming to do?

2. He says we are going to Wemberleeee. Is this not what we are aiming to do?

Personally, I like his 'We are going to do it' attitude, than 'Well, we are trying aren't we' Typical City style. Plus, he takes the emphasis away from the playing and coaching staff and while they are on his case, the rest can concentrate on the job in hand.

I don't really see a problem in what he said, but if someone would actually care to explain in simple terms, I'm all ears ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby DoomMerchant » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:22 pm

Beefymcfc wrote:So, 2 points here:

1. Gazza states that we are going to be the biggest club in the world. Is this not what we are aiming to do?

Personally, I like his 'We are going to do it' attitude, than 'Well, we are trying aren't we' Typical City style. Plus, he takes the emphasis away from the playing and coaching staff and while they are on his case, the rest can concentrate on the job in hand.

I don't really see a problem in what he said, but if someone would actually care to explain in simple terms, I'm all ears ;-)

that's cuz there is no probs Beefy. it's good stuff...swashbuckling, bold, fun...and in a chat with our actual fuclin fans in a foreign (to most of you cunts) country no less. Awesome stuff imho.

cheers
viVa el ciTy!

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Postby Beefymcfc » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:40 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Beefymcfc wrote:So, 2 points here:

that's cuz there is no probs Beefy. it's good stuff...swashbuckling, bold, fun...and in a chat with our actual fuclin fans in a foreign (to most of you cunts) country no less. Awesome stuff imho.

cheers

Cheers pal. Bet you Yanks are all looking forward to this one. May have to partake myself ;-)
In the words of my Old Man, "Life will never be the same without Man City, so get it in while you can".

The Future's Bright, The Future's Blue!!!
Beefymcfc
Anna Connell's Vision

Supporter of: The Mighty Blues

Postby Socrates » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:05 pm

Depends on the organisation and the other roles within it, some CEO's delegate more areas of responsibility to other senior managers while others may have more active Chairmen who may take more overall responsibility than the CEO. In Cook's case the job description says "sell stuff and talk bollocks" so he is doing a great job.
Manchester : New York : Melbourne : Yokohama
Socrates
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: st marks (gorton)

Postby Alex Sapphire » Sat Jan 23, 2010 6:58 pm

Socrates wrote:

Depends on the organisation and the other roles within it, some CEO's delegate more areas of responsibility to other senior managers while others may have more active Chairmen who may take more overall responsibility than the CEO. In Cook's case the job description says "sell stuff and talk bollocks" so he is doing a great job.

hoold on he's executive chairman not chief executive officer int he?
amounts to same thing as he is a) an executive officer and b) chairman (chief) of the executive board (the group of manager who do stuff on a day to day basis).
On the Main Board (Directors who don't have to have a day to day function but do "run the business"), he's just another member.
Never criticise a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
That way when you do criticise him you'll be a mile away.
And you'll have his shoes.

Ἄνδρες γάρ πόλις, καί οὐ τείχη
Alex Sapphire
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Postby simon12 » Sat Jan 23, 2010 7:11 pm

I like the bloke and if anyone knows how to brand a sports product on the scale of "global domination" he does. Glad he`s on our side tbh. Some people just don`t take to suits and thats in their make up simple. He went to a blue mong event the day after the uwe balls up. He`s got a pair...
simon12
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: The only team in Mcr
My favourite player is: Dirk Diggler

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum