Training Saturday 23/1

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Re: Training Saturday 23/1

Postby shortagain » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:45 pm

I think Mancini wanted to keep it tight in the middle, not giving lots of space for Rooney to work in like he seemed to have had today, so the full backs played closer into the middle leaving a lot of space on the flanks to be exploited. Was probably confident they could deal with the balls into the box, which apart form their goal they did and that came from Bellars not carrying out his tackle correctly.
shortagain
Darius Vassell's Composure

Supporter of: Man City
My favourite player is: Pablo Zabaleta

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:38 am

shortagain wrote:I think Mancini wanted to keep it tight in the middle, not giving lots of space for Rooney to work in like he seemed to have had today, so the full backs played closer into the middle leaving a lot of space on the flanks to be exploited. Was probably confident they could deal with the balls into the box, which apart form their goal they did and that came from Bellars not carrying out his tackle correctly.

I think this is exactly what the manager has asked Garrido to do. It fits with the routines the team have been doing in training moving around the pitch as a unit when we don't have the ball.

Of course it is countered by the long ball switch if they are good enough which we would have to react to quickly by moving back across very quickly and it also brings in the importance I guess of the wide player's role in tracking back into key defensive areas.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:39 am

Blueboylewis wrote:
zuricity wrote:
Douglas Higginbottom wrote:A 3 pm start today before the set of for the delights of Scunthorpe. The same players out there today minus Bridge. I am told just a precaution and no injury issue and the same with Given who wasn't there today again either.

Not a massive amount to report on after today's session which followed similar lines as yesterday. Movements around the pitch as a team followed by some jogging and loosening up before they moved into some football play with 4 5 a side nets to score in and looking for plenty of quick passing and switching of the play. While I was watching this and talking to one of the fitness coaches Lewis got round closer to the action and even closer to Brian Kidd! Now Lewis knows exactly how to tie the Mancini knot in his scarf and also had a first word with him about coaching! can't be bad.

Before going into a final football workout they did some exercises close to the fencing with some emphasis on explosive movements and then a 5 a side game for some whilst others went away with Mancini to do some more specific work. The 5 a side was fairly frenetic as you might expect with loads of goals and plenty to be heard from Bellers! Mancini was doing work on defending from corners as well as those free kicks curled into the far post and then more on forward movements.

The whole session was only about an hour as they were intending to leave for Scunny at about 5. Tevez was the last man out there and he was really being put thru a very tough work out. Some fast twiting movements outside the box and then spinning into the box to meet a ball and have a shot. He was knackered at the end and it definitely made me think he would be resting tomorrow.

Haha it certainly was mate and i am very grateful for it. I am now part of the italian crew!

I hope that was the Scarf the little b*gger was gifted by me this week !

Otherwise he's in trouble....

If it was the classic blue and white one you can rest easy as that's the one he had.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Bear60 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:46 am

Thanks Doug .
Bear60
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: Colin Bell

Postby M147WN » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:47 am

Of course it is countered by the long ball switch if they are good enough which we would have to react to quickly by moving back across very quickly and it also brings in the importance I guess of the wide player's role in tracking back into key defensive areas.

A good spot Doug and one which the rags use many times throughout a game!
tracking back for the wide players is absolutely key in these situations as Micah (if on the right side) will be 15 yds infield of Giggs when the ball is switched from right to left but will also have to deal with the overlapping evra.
This means our right flanker (SWP or A N Other if we've swithed wide men) must help out his fullback!
The midfield man on that side of the pitch should really not be dragged across leaving gaps down the middle! The cover must, in the first place, from the wide man!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!
M147WN
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Grob » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:20 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:
giokingkladze wrote:Any chance of bridge being back for Wednesday? I hope we're not relying on garrido again against valencia

its pissing me off reading this. Gaz hasn't put a foot wrong since he came in. i can think of numerous mistakes bridge has made that led to a goal though.

Garrido is an accident waiting to happen. Once he makes a mistake its curtains. But he's not made any ove the last 5 games so credit where its due. I prefer Bridge. That extra pace is the clincher.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby john@staustell » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:30 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:
giokingkladze wrote:Any chance of bridge being back for Wednesday? I hope we're not relying on garrido again against valencia

its pissing me off reading this. Gaz hasn't put a foot wrong since he came in. i can think of numerous mistakes bridge has made that led to a goal though.

I think both players are (will be) better for being made to play as left backs, instead of charging AWOL up the field etc. Gaz makes me a little nervous and I'm sure a fit Bridge, under the new defensive style, would look at least one class above on Weds. Couple of weeks ago when we were linked with that Argie fella, Bobby said 'Wayne Bridge is our left back'.
“I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I will be sober and you will still be ugly.”
john@staustell
Allison's Big Fat Cigar

Supporter of: City

Postby CityGer » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:46 am

Bingo Lewis wrote:

He was a liability against the rags and clearly at fault for their goal. The amount of space he gave Valencia throughout the match was frightening. It was so bad and so noticable that I began to think whether or not standing off Valencia, giving him acres of space and taking up a narrow position was a conscious decision by him.

I know you're keen on him as a player but he is a weak link. Naive positionally and woefully short of pace.
we've got love bites and everything
CityGer
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
David Silva's Silky Skills

Supporter of: us

Postby dazby » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:53 am

MRM did mention that it was a specific tactic by Mancio. He was sitting near him at the game and specifically heard him calling him to tuck in.
Attack the argument of the person, not the person of the argument- except Carl.
dazby
Joe Mercer's OBE

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Ed

Postby Bingo Lewis » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:12 pm

Grob wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:

Garrido is an accident waiting to happen. Once he makes a mistake its curtains. But he's not made any ove the last 5 games so credit where its due. I prefer Bridge. That extra pace is the clincher.

so is Bridge. I prefer my defenders to be able to tackle over being fast.....
Bingo Lewis
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Curzon Ashton U10's
My favourite player is: Kiers Casey

Postby Grob » Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:20 pm

Bingo Lewis wrote:
Grob wrote:
Bingo Lewis wrote:

so is Bridge. I prefer my defenders to be able to tackle over being fast.....

we'll have to have a 'tackle off' between Garrido and Bridge and see whose right.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Previous

Return to The Maine Football forum