Marco Motta

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Marco Motta

Postby Blue Blood » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:18 am

According to our friends over at goal.com he is close to signing a 6 month loan deal with us.

http://www.goal.com/en/news/11/transfer ... ity-switch

So this begs the question, who exactly is Marco Motta, i can't say i've ever seen him play. Is he any good??

Answers on a postcard... or in thread if you prefer. Ahem.
Blue Blood
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

Supporter of: Manchester City
My favourite player is: Darren Huckerby

Re: Marco Motta

Postby craigmcfc » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:20 am

If true then it doesn't bode well for Micahs hopes on the OS wanting to be in the England squad in South Africa !
craigmcfc
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Sergio Aguero

Postby ant london » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:21 am

He sounds foreign......so it's a no from me

Coming over here, taking our jobs....send the buggers back
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:32 am

Well, I guess I'm entitled to answer, as he plays for Roma at the moment, so I know him fairly well. He's an Italian right back, but he can probably play as left back too, although not his natural position. Captain of the Azzuri U21, and was probably on the verge of moving to the senior Azzurri team before Ranieri came to Roma. Now, he's almost always benched in favour of Cassetti, but I really can't understand why. He's good going forward, has a good cross and is fairly physically strong. He's probably slower than Micah, but he is also less prone to remain up the field and leave a gap in the back line. He has been defensively suspect some times last season, but when he has played in this campaign he looked improved there. Has a good shot on him, as Arsenal fans discovered in the CL tie last season when he almost scored a cracker from 20 yards or so at the Emirates, he hit the bar with that, and he probably should have been awarded a penalty on the second leg in Rome when Clichy tugged him into the box (bit like Rafael on Bellers on Tuesday), if he had Roma might have gone through, but that's in the past.

All in all, I rate him a lot and as I said I can't understand why Cassetti gets in Roma's starting XI ahead of him. If this rumour is true it isn't necessarily bad for Richards imho. It might only mean Mancio has seen something he likes in Micah as CB, and wants to stick with him there, thus needing cover for the RB position as Zabba is card-prone and Neddie doesn't like much playing there.
CityFanFromRome
Joe Hart's 29 Clean Sheets

Supporter of: Man City & Roma
My favourite player is: Carlos Tévez

Postby Blue Blood » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:40 am

CityFanFromRome wrote:Well, I guess I'm entitled to answer, as he plays for Roma at the moment, so I know him fairly well. He's an Italian right back, but he can probably play as left back too, although not his natural position. Captain of the Azzuri U21, and was probably on the verge of moving to the senior Azzurri team before Ranieri came to Roma. Now, he's almost always benched in favour of Cassetti, but I really can't understand why. He's good going forward, has a good cross and is fairly physically strong. He's probably slower than Micah, but he is also less prone to remain up the field and leave a gap in the back line. He has been defensively suspect some times last season, but when he has played in this campaign he looked improved there. Has a good shot on him, as Arsenal fans discovered in the CL tie last season when he almost scored a cracker from 20 yards or so at the Emirates, he hit the bar with that, and he probably should have been awarded a penalty on the second leg in Rome when Clichy tugged him into the box (bit like Rafael on Bellers on Tuesday), if he had Roma might have gone through, but that's in the past.

All in all, I rate him a lot and as I said I can't understand why Cassetti gets in Roma's starting XI ahead of him. If this rumour is true it isn't necessarily bad for Richards imho. It might only mean Mancio has seen something he likes in Micah as CB, and wants to stick with him there, thus needing cover for the RB position as Zabba is card-prone and Neddie doesn't like much playing there.

Ah thanks CFFR, exactly the kind of answer i was looking for from the man probably best placed to give it :D

After reading your response i'm all in favour of the move, sounds to me like he's a good little player and also its sounds like he has something to prove to mr ranieri and the azzurri which can only be good for us.

I hope this is true, any idea how reliable Corriere Dello Sport is for Roma Info??
Blue Blood

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:42 am

Ahah, someone has already added him being linked with City to Motta's wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marco_Motta

Interesting, I didn't remember that he had already been called up for the senior Italy team, he did in March 2009 even if he didn't get a cap.

Here are some customary youtube videos about him, lol. The first is about him in the first leg at Emirates:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvIGcbOFYvY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcvOYK4kP-o
CityFanFromRome

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:12 pm

Blue Blood wrote:Ah thanks CFFR, exactly the kind of answer i was looking for from the man probably best placed to give it :D

After reading your response i'm all in favour of the move, sounds to me like he's a good little player and also its sounds like he has something to prove to mr ranieri and the azzurri which can only be good for us.

I hope this is true, any idea how reliable Corriere Dello Sport is for Roma Info??

It varies, the Roman edition is mostly about Roma and Lazio, but to say they are highly reliable would be telling a lie. However, they usually spout "shit" regarding players coming IN, while are more reliable regarding players leaving the Roman clubs, so maybe there's some truth in this rumour.
CityFanFromRome

Postby Renato_CTID » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:59 pm

Here there's a very good right back defender! Ex Udinese and actually Roma he's absolutely better than the overpayd Dossena. Marco is young, fast and gives a lot of pression on every player passing near him. Hope Mancio will sign him sooner!
From Torino, Italia to Manchester, Lancashire this City is always our City!
Renato_CTID
Kinky's Mazy Dribbles

My favourite player is: David Silva

Postby Blue Blood » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:16 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:
Blue Blood wrote:Ah thanks CFFR, exactly the kind of answer i was looking for from the man probably best placed to give it :D

It varies, the Roman edition is mostly about Roma and Lazio, but to say they are highly reliable would be telling a lie. However, they usually spout "shit" regarding players coming IN, while are more reliable regarding players leaving the Roman clubs, so maybe there's some truth in this rumour.

Ah ok much like the english papers then.

Renato_CTID wrote:Here there's a very good right back defender! Ex Udinese and actually Roma he's absolutely better than the overpayd Dossena. Marco is young, fast and gives a lot of pression on every player passing near him. Hope Mancio will sign him sooner!

I'm liking the sound of this Motta, two good opinions on the guy from two knowledgable italian posters! sounds like mancini is being very clever in the market to me :D good stuff if true!
Blue Blood

Postby ant london » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:48 pm

looks like this has legs

Roma defender Marco Motta could be on his way to Manchester City, according to the Italian club's sporting director.

The 23-year-old right-back has fallen out of favour with Claudio Ranieri at the Stadio Olimpico and City boss Roberto Mancini is reportedly interested in capturing the Italian.

Roma sporting director Daniele Prade admits a deal could be done, although there are a few possible snags in any potential transfer.

"I spoke with Giuseppe Bozzo, agent of Motta, who confirmed the interest of Manchester City," he told Sky Italia.

"There is a possibility of a loan but I have not yet spoken with the English club.

"There are some things to consider because the player is in a co-ownership between Roma and Udinese."
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:53 pm

CityFanFromRome wrote:Well, I guess I'm entitled to answer, as he plays for Roma at the moment, so I know him fairly well. He's an Italian right back, but he can probably play as left back too, although not his natural position. Captain of the Azzuri U21, and was probably on the verge of moving to the senior Azzurri team before Ranieri came to Roma. Now, he's almost always benched in favour of Cassetti, but I really can't understand why. He's good going forward, has a good cross and is fairly physically strong. He's probably slower than Micah, but he is also less prone to remain up the field and leave a gap in the back line. He has been defensively suspect some times last season, but when he has played in this campaign he looked improved there. Has a good shot on him, as Arsenal fans discovered in the CL tie last season when he almost scored a cracker from 20 yards or so at the Emirates, he hit the bar with that, and he probably should have been awarded a penalty on the second leg in Rome when Clichy tugged him into the box (bit like Rafael on Bellers on Tuesday), if he had Roma might have gone through, but that's in the past.

Get him signed haha
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Vhero » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:03 pm

ant london wrote:He sounds foreign......so it's a no from me

Coming over here, taking our jobs....send the buggers back

Quality answer! I say as long as he ain't Polish I'm good :p they are hard workers and when they get the money required go back home and that's not what we need right now we need loyalty damn it!
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby Grob » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:02 pm

After seeing Nedum and right back today and me not being totally sold on Richards or Zabaletta at full back, a right back would be an nice bonus addition to the squad towards the end of this transfer window.

Especially one so highly rated.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby french_tony » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:05 pm

Well...he's good on Football Manager....
Although he's a left back on that!
french_tony
De Jong's Tackle

Postby stockportblue » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:27 pm

I go to Rome to watch AS Roma 2-3 times per season and watch the remainder of the game son satellite.Motta is a promising defender but a long way from the finished article.Last year playing Inter at the San Siro Mourinho told Balotelli to run at him because he saw Motta as a weak link in the Roma defence.At his best he looks good in both halves of the fileld but at this stage in his career he is an accident waiting to happen because of his temperament.

Iwould prefer Nedum at right back even though it isnt his best position.
stockportblue
Danny Mills' Wages

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: stephen ireland

Postby stockportblue » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:27 pm

I go to Rome to watch AS Roma 2-3 times per season and watch the remainder of the game son satellite.Motta is a promising defender but a long way from the finished article.Last year playing Inter at the San Siro Mourinho told Balotelli to run at him because he saw Motta as a weak link in the Roma defence.At his best he looks good in both halves of the fileld but at this stage in his career he is an accident waiting to happen because of his temperament.

stockportblue
Danny Mills' Wages

Supporter of: manchester city
My favourite player is: stephen ireland

Postby CityFanFromRome » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:29 pm

stockportblue wrote:I go to Rome to watch AS Roma 2-3 times per season and watch the remainder of the game son satellite.Motta is a promising defender but a long way from the finished article.Last year playing Inter at the San Siro Mourinho told Balotelli to run at him because he saw Motta as a weak link in the Roma defence.At his best he looks good in both halves of the fileld but at this stage in his career he is an accident waiting to happen because of his temperament.

He also served a quality assist for De Rossi though. And to be honest, when Balotelli runs at defenders they are always in a bit of trouble because of his pace and skill. But, I agree that he's not the finisched article yet, however as I said before he's good going forward, but rarely leaves a hole in the back line as he runs back when the ball is lost, something Micah still doesn't do most of the time when playing there, and Nedum isn't comfortable at all at RB imho. Zabba, well, we all know he's a red card waiting to happen or a free kick leading to a goal like it happened at Goodison, so imho it would be worth a try.
CityFanFromRome

Postby M147WN » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:30 am

I can only think of 1 Italian defender ever to play in the prem and thats Dosena at scouse 1. He's shit!
Italian defenders are completely untried in this country and for that reason I would steer well clear!

As for Italians in general i can think of quite a few forwards who've played here and some have done really well but as i said i can only think of 1 defender. Maybe there's been more? .. I can't think of any!

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal labotomy!
M147WN
Richard Dunne's Own Goals

Postby Ireland8989 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:30 am

M147WN wrote:I can only think of 1 Italian defender ever to play in the prem and thats Dosena at scouse 1. He's shit!
Italian defenders are completely untried in this country and for that reason I would steer well clear!

As for Italians in general i can think of quite a few forwards who've played here and some have done really well but as i said i can only think of 1 defender. Maybe there's been more? .. I can't think of any!

Didn't Materazzi play for Everton ? :O
Ireland8989
Carlo Nash's Debut

Postby Ted Hughes » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:53 am

Ireland8989 wrote:
M147WN wrote:I can only think of 1 Italian defender ever to play in the prem and thats Dosena at scouse 1. He's shit!

Didn't Materazzi play for Everton ? :O

Yep. Was a nightmare.
The pissartist formerly known as Ted

VIVA EL CITY !!!

Some take the bible for what it's worth.. when they say that the rags shall inherit the Earth...
Well I heard that the Sheikh... bought Carlos Tevez this week...& you fuckers aint gettin' nothin..
Ted Hughes
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Colin Bell's Football Brain

Supporter of: Bill Turnbull
My favourite player is: Bill Turnbull

Next

Return to The Maine Football forum