Shay ready for derby ordeal

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Shay ready for derby ordeal

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:42 pm

Shay Given expects to get everything but the kitchen sink thrown at him next week in the Carling Cup semi-final derby second leg showdown at Old Trafford.

The Blues face their great rivals protecting a 2-1 lead from Tuesday night's compelling first leg after Argentina striker Carlos Tevez wiped out Ryan Giggs' opener with a double hit.

But City's Republic of Ireland goalkeeper had to produce what Roberto Mancini called "a fantastic night" to keep out the Reds' comeback attempt, and Given expects more of the same on Wednesday.

Shay admitted: "We know it's a massive game. They showed that in the last 20 minutes when they really came at us trying for that equaliser. We know it's only half time and a big game to come.

"They showed how good a team they are but we stuck together. We got some great blocks in and cleared one off the line, but we had to do that. They are not the champions for no reason.

"We'll have to stick together and show the spirit we showed on Tuesday. The League game is a long time ago and hopefully we've put that to bed. Old Trafford will be tough, it is for any team.

"I don't know if it was nerves but we were a bit apprehensive at the start and Manchester United punished us. We'll have to do better at the start next week, and for the rest of the game.

"It will give us confidence to go there
with a goal start, and we showed a lot
of character to come back and sneak
our noses in front, but there's a lot of
football left in the tie yet"

Given played in two losing Wembley finals for Newcastle, but added: "We'd be getting ahead of ourselves talking about the final now. We've a massive game first with all to play for. I'd love to get to the final, but we'll see.

"I came to Manchester City to win things, as I said at the time. That's the plan, to get some silverware before I retire. I Hope I've got a good few years left yet.

"We're still a long way off the top teams until we've put some trophies on the mantelpiece. But we're going in the right direction. We have the financial backing but we're not up there yet."

from mcfc.co.uk
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Re: Shay ready for derby ordeal

Postby Kladze » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:09 pm

"We'll have to stick together and show the spirit we showed on Tuesday. The League game is a long time ago and hopefully we've put that to bed. Old Trafford will be tough, it is for any team."

Not sure my nerves could take it but, other than that, I'd settle for a 4-3 defeat if someone would offer it now.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Rosler's Grandad Bombed The Swamp

Supporter of: City
My favourite player is: NdJ

Postby DoomMerchant » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:12 pm

Kladze wrote:
"We'll have to stick together and show the spirit we showed on Tuesday. The League game is a long time ago and hopefully we've put that to bed. Old Trafford will be tough, it is for any team."

Not sure my nerves could take it but, other than that, I'd settle for a 4-3 defeat if someone would offer it now.

wouldn't a 4-3 defeat simply mean extra time before you consider away goals?

just checking.
viVa el ciTy!

"All things considered, there's absolutely no escape from this hellish situation. I'm prepared to take the coward's way out if you are. It's reincarnation or nothing." -- Gideon Stargrave

DoomMerchant
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Pellegrini's Hoodie

Supporter of: MCFC. OK.
My favourite player is: The Game

Postby Kladze » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:13 pm

DoomMerchant wrote:
Kladze wrote:

just checking.

Yup

Like I said, not sure my nerves could take it.
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Postby Mark (Blue Army) » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:19 pm

Kladze wrote:
DoomMerchant wrote:
Kladze wrote:

just checking.

Yup

Like I said, not sure my nerves could take it.

So would you not just take city 1-0 and not have to go to extra time lol? But if it dose go to extra time on wed i think we'll get beat.
[center]Image[/center][center]"City fans are born not manufactured, We do not choose we are chosen
Those that don't understand don't matter, Those that understand need no explanation"[/center]
Mark (Blue Army)
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Shaun Goater's 103 Goals

Supporter of: Manchester City

Postby LookMumImOnMCF.net » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:30 pm

Not sure I like the OS calling it an 'ordeal' before it's even started. I would've chosen 'romp', 'thrashing' or even 'massacre'.
LookMumImOnMCF.net
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Denis Law's Backheel

Supporter of: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net
My favourite player is: LookMumI'mOnMCF.net

Postby Kladze » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:39 pm

LookMumI'mOnMCF.net wrote:Not sure I like the OS calling it an 'ordeal' before it's even started. I would've chosen 'romp', 'thrashing' or even 'massacre'.

First thing that came into my mind to be honest :-O
[center]Image[/center]
Kladze
Donated to the site
Donated to the site

Return to The Maine Football forum