Sylvinho in Midfield

Here is the place to talk about all things city and football!

Sylvinho in Midfield

Postby Mr Miyagi » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:46 pm

Talk about a game of two halves, as the cliche goes....

By half time I was thinking, "Sylvinho can't be allowed to play left back again, he is completely gash". No legs, no heading ability, roasted one-on-one all the time, gives the ball away high up the pitch....
Then he comes out as one of our midfielders and I thought he did really well: positioning, reading the game, simple short passing, covering the youngster at full back, using his experience, and the goal. In particular he started talking and telling other players what to do, especially giving Ibrahim encouragement. Playing with his brain as well as his feet.

Going forward this season, I think he is better as central midfield cover rather than as full back. Had a really good second half today.
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Re: Sylvinho in Midfield

Postby 10.Goater_Legend » Sun Jan 24, 2010 6:58 pm

Indeed second-half he ran the game for us, that goal he scored was right out of the top drawer. Think he is a good squad player to have and has won the lot.
10.Goater_Legend
De Jong's Tackle

Supporter of: City

Postby Blue in the face » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:15 pm

Absolutely agree. Great in midfield. An old head on short legs.
Blue in the face
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
De Jong's Tackle

My favourite player is: Zabba

Postby Nick » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:24 pm

Also agree, hes another Zab. Good in midfield, average at full back.
Nick
Denis Tueart's Overhead

Postby Grob » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:43 pm

Well summed up. First half he was all at sea. He's no longer good enough to play full back. Second half he moved the ball around well and got involved. You dont need as much pace to operate in midfield, its more about the engine then the burst. He's tidy enough on the ball to provide midfield cover. Maybe we dont need to sign another midfield player this window. Im comfortable with Sly and Abdi providing cover.
Grob
Yaya's Wembley Winning Strikes

Postby bobadji » Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:45 pm

He seems to lead well, Sly. Always providing words to the younger players. Think he'd make a cracking coach, then again I said the same about Didi.
bobadji
Dickov's Injury Time Equaliser

My favourite player is: Ned

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:34 pm

I think a calm down warning is needed here. We were playing Scunthorpe!!!
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby Typical City » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:37 pm

Anyone else notice his "Just For Men" job?
Typical City
Robinho's Step Over

Postby Mr Miyagi » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:14 pm

Douglas Higginbottom wrote:I think a calm down warning is needed here. We were playing Scunthorpe!!!

No I disagree. The way he applied himself would have been effective against any level of opposition. It's true that we often get carried away, but on this occasion he did everything right for a containment job in midfield.

Overall I think he is the kind of player who managers like because he can take instructions and carry out a plan. He has awareness and understands what other players are doing around him. The problem at left back is his lack of pace gets exposed one-on-one.
I must remember to get a new signature.....
Mr Miyagi
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Douglas Higginbottom » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:30 pm

I agree he did what the manager wanted and did it fine but it was Scunthorpe who didn't have much to challenge him in the middle really. He is too one footed and not quick enough and I would say he doesn't normally have a good enough first touch for that position but today was fine.But for the premiership I would say no unless we have nobody else.
Douglas Higginbottom
Paul Power's Tash

Postby chef » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:36 pm

bobadji wrote:He seems to lead well, Sly. Always providing words to the younger players. Think he'd make a cracking coach, then again I said the same about Didi.

as long as he does'nt become a defensive coach....shocking descision to abandon his position on the line/post which almost lead to a goal (saved by the bar)
chef
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Vhero » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:59 pm

Mr Miyagi wrote:Talk about a game of two halves, as the cliche goes....

By half time I was thinking, "Sylvinho can't be allowed to play left back again, he is completely gash". No legs, no heading ability, roasted one-on-one all the time, gives the ball away high up the pitch....
Then he comes out as one of our midfielders and I thought he did really well: positioning, reading the game, simple short passing, covering the youngster at full back, using his experience, and the goal. In particular he started talking and telling other players what to do, especially giving Ibrahim encouragement. Playing with his brain as well as his feet.

Going forward this season, I think he is better as central midfield cover rather than as full back. Had a really good second half today.

I agree in the first 5 minuted alone they ran right past him and nearly scored thanks to the keeper they didn't. He was terrible but made a massive difference moving into the centre. Great piece of tactics by Mancini and it's exactly why he is one of the best managers around right now IMO.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby ant london » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:21 am

The way I understood things, Sylinho had been brought in to play the "Berti Glauber Role"...ie best friends forever with our temperamental Jogador Bonito.

As Robbie looks bound for Santos I'd say Sly has failed...quite spectacularly.

He was pretty good in midfield tho.
ant london
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Neil Young's FA Cup Winning Goal

Supporter of: Cityski
My favourite player is: Mario Balotelli

Postby Vhero » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:32 am

ant london wrote:The way I understood things, Sylinho had been brought in to play the "Berti Glauber Role"...ie best friends forever with our temperamental Jogador Bonito.

As Robbie looks bound for Santos I'd say Sly has failed...quite spectacularly.

He was pretty good in midfield tho.

Yeah I think he was here to keep Robson happy and since Robsons going out on loan and Bridge is coming back we will be lucky to see him from now until the end of the season. You can bet your ass a bottom of the league team are gonna want him though.
Vhero
Paul Power's Tash

Supporter of: MCFC
My favourite player is: Kinkladze

Postby irblinx » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:44 am

Everyone else aside, it was a brilliant goal though, GET IN
irblinx
David Silva's Silky Skills

Postby Kiss_The_Goat » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:58 am

irblinx wrote:Everyone else aside, it was a brilliant goal though, GET IN

Amazing strike wasnt it?! What was that weird celebration he did though? I couldnt work it out? Was it some Star Trek shit or something?
Somebody ate my grapes...
Kiss_The_Goat
De Jong's Tackle

Postby Andy, lincs » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:43 am

Kiss_The_Goat wrote:
irblinx wrote:Everyone else aside, it was a brilliant goal though, GET IN

Amazing strike wasnt it?! What was that weird celebration he did though? I couldnt work it out? Was it some Star Trek shit or something?

I think he was holding and kissing his wedding ring. I would imagine he hasn't moved his family over due to the short term nature of his contract. Or perhaps his wifes a Klingon.
Living like I'll die tomorrow, farming like I'll live forever.
Andy, lincs
Donated to the site
Donated to the site
Tevez's Golfing Holiday

Return to The Maine Football forum